ADVERTISEMENT

University of Florida faculty to consider no-confidence vote on Ben Sasse this week

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
U.S. Sen. Ben Sasse could receive a vote of no confidence by University of Florida faculty before he even is confirmed as that university's president.
The UF Faculty Senate will consider a vote of no confidence regarding the university's presidential selection process at an emergency meeting Thursday. Sasse, a Nebraska Republican, was announced as the sole finalist for the school's 13th president last month, leading to immediate backlash.

Ben Sasse

During his first visit to campus, Sasse faced a large student protest mainly focused on his stance on same-sex marriage and other LGBTQ+ issues. That prompted current University of Florida President Kent Fuchs to announce Monday he was enforcing a 20-year-old regulation banning protests inside campus buildings.

The Faculty Senate resolution focuses on the selection process university officials followed that led Sasse to be the sole finalist, claiming it "undermined the trust and confidence" of the Faculty Senate in Sasse's selection. It also indicated that the body doubted Sasse's qualifications for the role.
"The next President should come already equipped to lead an institution of this caliber rather than aiming to learn on the job," the resolution read.
Before he was elected to the U.S. Senate, Sasse led Midland University in Fremont, a school with roughly 1,600 students. UF's student population stands at nearly 60,000 students.
The resolution claimed that at a Faculty Senate meeting Oct. 20, members were informed that there were other "well-qualified" candidates for the presidency that were eliminated because they were unwilling to be named as finalists within the university's 21-day public notification requirement. This prevented faculty from being informed about the other candidates and their qualifications, the resolution read.

Faculty Senate Chair Amanda Phalin did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
Sasse still faces a vote by the school’s Board of Trustees and then must be confirmed by the state Board of Governors before he is officially named president.
If approved, he’s expected to resign his Senate seat. Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts has said he would leave Sasse's replacement to the state's next governor. Sasse's successor would serve until 2024, when a special election would be held to fill the seat.

And this is why you get people like Trump as president.

Sasse is a respectable person who happens to have some thousand year old beliefs that were accepted as the 'norm' up until the last 15-20 years.

What's he going to do as a University president to really affect the constitutionality of same sex marriage?

Let the goddamn guy live his life, he'd probably be the best the thing to happen to the fnnnn gators in years.

And I'll tell you with certainty, after a few years of being a university prez, it's more likely that he'll evolve his views to a more liberal slant than the school becoming Liberty University.

Sasse is a respectable person who happens to have some thousand year old beliefs that were accepted as the 'norm' up until the last 15-20 years.

What's he going to do as a University president to really affect the constitutionality of same sex marriage?

Let the goddamn guy live his life, he'd probably be the best the thing to happen to the fnnnn gators in years.

And I'll tell you with certainty, after a few years of being a university prez, it's more likely that he'll evolve his views to a more liberal slant than the school becoming Liberty University.
They are going to attempt to get rid of a guy, who by all accounts is good in this role, because of feelings....

Reactions: goldmom
So Sasse is going to ban same sex marriage from UF campus and reject any applicants that are a part of one?

FFS, protest something as it relates to what his actual roles and responsibilities will be as the University President.

They are going to attempt to get rid of a guy, who by all accounts is good in this role, because of feelings....
The guy hates black people and thinks they are 3/5th a person but really what's that got to do with running an operation with 60k people.

What you guys just wrote

So Sasse is going to ban same sex marriage from UF campus and reject any applicants that are a part of one?

FFS, protest something as it relates to what his actual roles and responsibilities will be as the University President.

He's completely unqualified for this job. We had to make this mistake twice, and then nearly got stuck with a complete loser in Richard Corcoran, before finally landing a qualified professional.

UF has had some very good presidents lately. Their students and alumni are smart enough to know that the university president job is no place for a hack unless you want to be a second rate institution. One thing I have admired about UF is they have absolutely no tolerance for mediocrity and stupid crap like this. Sometimes it works against them, three coaches in recent years and a decade of mediocrity. Most of the time it works for them, top tier public university and adios Ron Zook and two titles with Tebow and the felon master Myer.

Reactions: Tom Paris
He's completely unqualified for this job. We had to make this mistake twice, and then nearly got stuck with a complete loser in Richard Corcoran, before finally landing a qualified professional.

UF has had some very good presidents lately. Their students and alumni are smart enough to know that the university president job is no place for a hack unless you want to be a second rate institution. One thing I have admired about UF is they have absolutely no tolerance for mediocrity and stupid crap like this. Sometimes it works against them, three coaches in recent years and a decade of mediocrity. Most of the time it works for them, top tier public university and adios Ron Zook and two titles with Tebow and the felon master Myer.
Great. Then protest that, not his stance on same sex marriage.

U.S. Sen. Ben Sasse could receive a vote of no confidence by University of Florida faculty before he even is confirmed as that university's president.
The UF Faculty Senate will consider a vote of no confidence regarding the university's presidential selection process at an emergency meeting Thursday. Sasse, a Nebraska Republican, was announced as the sole finalist for the school's 13th president last month, leading to immediate backlash.

Ben Sasse

During his first visit to campus, Sasse faced a large student protest mainly focused on his stance on same-sex marriage and other LGBTQ+ issues. That prompted current University of Florida President Kent Fuchs to announce Monday he was enforcing a 20-year-old regulation banning protests inside campus buildings.

The Faculty Senate resolution focuses on the selection process university officials followed that led Sasse to be the sole finalist, claiming it "undermined the trust and confidence" of the Faculty Senate in Sasse's selection. It also indicated that the body doubted Sasse's qualifications for the role.
"The next President should come already equipped to lead an institution of this caliber rather than aiming to learn on the job," the resolution read.
Before he was elected to the U.S. Senate, Sasse led Midland University in Fremont, a school with roughly 1,600 students. UF's student population stands at nearly 60,000 students.
The resolution claimed that at a Faculty Senate meeting Oct. 20, members were informed that there were other "well-qualified" candidates for the presidency that were eliminated because they were unwilling to be named as finalists within the university's 21-day public notification requirement. This prevented faculty from being informed about the other candidates and their qualifications, the resolution read.

Faculty Senate Chair Amanda Phalin did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
Sasse still faces a vote by the school’s Board of Trustees and then must be confirmed by the state Board of Governors before he is officially named president.
If approved, he’s expected to resign his Senate seat. Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts has said he would leave Sasse's replacement to the state's next governor. Sasse's successor would serve until 2024, when a special election would be held to fill the seat.

We demand a welcoming environment for everyone, and if you disagree with us you can get the hell out.

I'm not a Ben Sasse expert but I seem to remember several Noles posting on here that he would be great at the job and they hated u of f for bringing him in.

I haven't read up on him but from the reaction I was assuming he had no experience leading a university or major university. Does he have that experience to lead you to say he would be good in the role?

Reactions: cigaretteman
I seem to remember things like this happening with Bruce Harreld….that worked out great….

Looks like Florida is about as bad as Iowa….picking a president with a very suspect process

I haven't read up on him but from the reaction I was assuming he had no experience leading a university or major university. Does he have that experience to lead you to say he would be good in the role?
It appears as though he does.

Born in Plainview, Nebraska, Sasse holds a bachelor's degree in government from Harvard University, a Master of Arts in liberal studies from St. John's College and master's and doctoral degrees in American history from Yale University. He has taught at the University of Texas and has served as an assistant secretary in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.[2] In 2010, Sasse was named the 15th president of Midland University in Fremont, Nebraska.

You can say U of F is a definite step up from midland but the dude knows how to run an organization.

Midland U - Student population 1,600. Congress. Then UF. Seems like someone is going straight from Div3 to Div1, skipping the steps between.

I'm not a Ben Sasse expert but I seem to remember several Noles posting on here that he would be great at the job and they hated u of f for bringing him in.

They were most likely fixated on the magical letter "R" after his name. There is an outside chance that they know this is an idiotic hire and they are looking forward to watching their UF friends and family suffer through a festival of incompetence.

They were most likely fixated on the magical letter "R" after his name. There is an outside chance that they know this is an idiotic hire and they are looking forward to watching their UF friends and family suffer through a festival of incompetence.

I'm just reading about him now, midland was a dump when I was in the GPAC.

Dude took a dying university, rebranded it, changed the way they did learning to be more hands on, actually implemented a policy that said if you meet this requirements you WILL graduate in 4 years or your remaining time is free,then had the highest enrollment on record. You could say they took a chance on a Longshot but that kills any "not qualified" stance in my book.

Dude took a dying university, rebranded it, changed the way they did learning to be more hands on, actually implemented a policy that said if you meet this requirements you WILL graduate in 4 years or your remaining time is free,then had the highest enrollment on record. You could say they took a chance on a Longshot but that kills any "not qualified" stance in my book.

So there is at least one parallel with uf! The crocs already rebranded themselves on accident.
ghows-LK-a45374fc-3db2-47cc-8db0-d5370186b7f4-e35fdcf6.jpeg

He's not a moron, Harvard grad, and is far more qualified that the two politicians who we had as president. What you show there is that he actually did some productive things on a very small stage. That is nice but it is a long way from being qualified to run a major research institution.

This is an appointment to please the state's maximum leader, Ron DaTater Tot. Nothing more and nothing less.

He's not a moron, Harvard grad, and is far more qualified that the two politicians who we had as president. What you show there is that he actually did some productive things on a very small stage. That is nice but it is a long way from being qualified to run a major research institution.

This is an appointment to please the state's maximum leader, Ron DaTater Tot. Nothing more and nothing less.
There is enough there that any form of a no confidence vote is bullshit. You can not like the guy, you can go somewhere else because you don't like the guy but his resume says he has a background of success.

Using the "naia to d1" language from above. Dude showed he could be an all American at NAIA, you can't say he doesn't know how to play the sport.

My complaint from what I’ve read is that there doesn’t appear to be much known about the hiring process, whether anyone else interviewed, etc.

seems like an odd leap from. Nebraska senator with limited university experience to UF president.

Yeah, UF and FSU should at a minimum be drawing members of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

And you can be a real academic and a fundraiser. Look at someone like Michael Schill when he was at Oregon.

There is enough there that any form of a no confidence vote is bullshit. You can not like the guy, you can go somewhere else because you don't like the guy but his resume says he has a background of success.

Using the "naia to d1" language from above. Dude showed he could be an all American at NAIA, you can't say he doesn't know how to play the sport.

I despise those Gator fools and I support this no confidence vote. I'd love nothing more than to see their prized institution go up in flames for a few years but the appointment of unqualified politicians to run Florida's universities needs to stop, PERIOD. We have done this nonsense for too long in this state, twice at FSU, and it needs to end.

It took a significant effort for FSU to break the trend and appoint a qualified professional. It will be no easy task for UFelon to defy the dictator. Though the Gators are complete trash and lousy human beings, I wish them the best of luck.

Last edited:
My complaint from what I’ve read is that there doesn’t appear to be much known about the hiring process, whether anyone else interviewed, etc.

seems like an odd leap from. Nebraska senator with limited university experience to UF president.
I’ve only paid attention to it in passing, but believe I read there was a new state law that exempted the search from the usual open process out of concern over candidates who may not apply because the disclosures would burn bridges at their current institutions.

You are assuming he truly holds those beliefs, and wasn’t just saying it for the GQP core.
The truth is he’s going to have to lead a huge university, with a broad mission, and with an extremely diverse student body, faculty, and staff. Nothing in his record says he’s better qualified than the hundreds of other candidates. His academic experience was a small, narrowly focused school with a mayonnaise student body, faculty, and staff.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I’ve only paid attention to it in passing, but believe I read there was a new state law that exempted the search from the usual open process out of concern over candidates who may not apply because the disclosures would burn bridges at their current institutions.
That’s not really how academia works. The new rules were designed to protect politicians.

Academics take visiting professorships all the time. Those are basically feelers for lateral moves, and they don’t burn bridges. No one would begrudge someone from applying to be the President of a top 20 university.

The guy hates black people and thinks they are 3/5th a person but really what's that got to do with running an operation with 60k people.

What you guys just wrote
He hates black people eh?

I repeat, this mentality is how you get Trump as president of the USA.

Ben Sasse

So you're telling me that they're an open minded bunch?

A lot of faculty were uneasy about Mitch Daniels once upon a time.

ADVERTISEMENT