ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa Dumping Sports

diii can’t cut sports, it’s like cutting their own throat. Central College in Pella has over 50% of their students playing a sport. It’s they way they get students. Looking at the rosters Iowa’s only DII school Upper Iowa seems to use sports as a tuition gatherer also.

DIII put a gun to their head moving fall sports to spring. They either play them come spring or their enrollment will crater.

Wartburg already offered a 5th year of school tuition free. That’s crazy considering they get no state aid.

more schools are looking at bankruptcy vs just cutting sports. They better realize living with the virus is the answer or they better look for a new line of work.
Agree on everything. The D3 schools are in serious trouble

Please mention all the experts here who predicted hockey was coming.
Funny you mention hockey. This is the first move that ever made me think hockey might be possible. Clearing these out, 3 men's sports and 1 women's may make space when the cash starts flowing again.

Your analysis is fd up to say the least. I could care less about jocks. My issue is in a university or college, academics should come first. Is this too difficult to understand? And that this mission has been perverted by the uncontrolled growth of sports and the nebulous definition of student athletes. It ain't rocket science man. Seriously.
Agreed that you could care less about jocks, as you seem to care about them a lot. I was going to post some of your posts from the "Sports Implosion" thread but I decided against it. Here is how I understand your reasoning:
  • The primary mission of universities is to educate.
  • Universities have many departments, including athletics.
  • The athletics departments have become too important.
  • Athletics departments have too many students who are not academically qualified to fulfill the primary mission of the university.
  • Students who are not academically qualified to fulfill the primary mission of the university should not be admitted to the university.
  • The pandemic has seemingly provided a means to destroy pathways to admission for academically unqualified athletes.
  • Destroying that pathway, as a consequence, destroys athletic scholarship opportunities for academically qualified athletes.
  • Destruction of athletic scholarship opportunities for academically qualified athletes is okay because qualified athletes are rich privileged people who don't need scholarships.

Here is my reasoning:
  • The primary mission of universities is to educate.
  • Universities have many departments, including athletics.
  • The athletics departments are important for many reasons. One reason is that they provide education opportunities, often times to kids who could not otherwise afford it or gain admission to that university.
  • Athletics departments have students who would not otherwise be admitted because of academic or financial limitations.
  • You claim many students "could whoop . . . [you] in 20 different sports but . . . don't have the mental acumen to be students."
  • Your apparent tutoring of the dumbest and least motivated athletes notwithstanding, many students who would not otherwise be admitted because of academic or financial limitations actually do have the acumen to be students if given the opportunity.
  • Those students go on to obtain a college degree at no cost to the state of Iowa or the taxpayers, and better themselves and society.
  • The pandemic poses a threat of destruction of pathways to admission for academically qualified athletes students from poor families and academically unqualified athletes (who might also be poor).
  • Destroying the pathway for academically unqualified (for admission) athletes, as a consequence, destroys athletic scholarship opportunities for academically qualified athletes, many of whom could not attend said university for financial reasons. Destroying the pathway for academically unqualified (for admission) athletes, also prevents many students who actually do have the acumen to be students, from graduating with a degree, bettering themselves and society. In turn, most "non-revenue" sports will be cut. All "non-revenue" would be cut but for title IX.
  • Cheering for the preceding bullet point is cutting off your nose to spite your face. While some scholarship athletes do not take education seriously, many do. Wanting to kill the golden goose because 100% of the eggs do not hatch erudite goslings is petty, short sighted, and moronic.

Last edited:
So many dumb comments here. These tennis kids are rich so they will be fine. What the F. Tennis and guessing swimming and gymnastics split the scholarships. I believe tennis maybe gets 6 scholarships split among 9-10 maybe even 11 guys. The top player if he’s really good might get a full ride. The rest maybe get a half scholarship and maybe get some academic money as well. So the majority of the team is actually paying something. These are kids that wouldn’t be at the U of I otherwise. It’s a win win for everyone. Or was. Big time D1 sports (power 5) has lost their way. It’s a never ending arms race with no end in sight. And yes, I played 2 years of tennis in college. It’s looking like FB and BB could be the only sports at some schools in the near future. That sucks.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Funny you mention hockey. This is the first move that ever made me think hockey might be possible. Clearing these out, 3 men's sports and 1 women's may make space when the cash starts flowing again.
I actually thought the same thing. Maybe 7-10 years from now when the cash is flowing again. Hockey would be close to revenue neutral, so when adding it's not a bad sport to add.

Reactions: thewop
The American college and university system has been fertile ground for major disruption for some time now. Alternative models have been emerging and would have continued to emerge, even without COVID, that will eventually displace not all, but many of the traditional consumers of higher education who currently attend in pursuit of the sacred “degree.” COVID has merely accelerated this process...
I agree. I think virtual learning will become the future. Eventually I see it displacing many teachers. Most subjects can have a lesson recorded and remain relevant for years. Millions could all learn from the same teacher.

Should football count against the scholarship numbers? It really skews things when cuts are made and/or you examine adding sports.

It was actually good at one time.
Won the NCAA. Swimming had an Olympic champ. Something happened with college swimming, not sure just when, but schools that formerly didn't have it or did not emphasize it then started it or emphasized it. Harder then for schools like Iowa.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Won the NCAA. Swimming had an Olympic champ. Something happened with college swimming, not sure just when, but schools that formerly didn't have it or did not emphasize it then started it or emphasized it. Harder then for schools like Iowa.
Yes I forgot the Polish American swimmers.

Reactions: joelbc1
Because 40 to over 50 percent of their students play sports. Without spirts they are not going there and paying that tuition.

I think the percentage is probably closer to 30%. And of that population you feel 100% would not attend? I find that hard to believe. Eliminate d3 sports and their sport budget goes away too. While it’s sad if sports are greatly reduced or eliminated at the d3 level but I question it’s as dire as you predict.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Your analysis is fd up to say the least. I could care less about jocks. My issue is in a university or college, academics should come first. Is this too difficult to understand? And that this mission has been perverted by the uncontrolled growth of sports and the nebulous definition of student athletes. It ain't rocket science man. Seriously.

so you want to force people to like education over sports? Who the **** are you to make this decision?

It's no force. It's the mission of a, wait for it, academic institution.

the academic institutions were created by taxpayers and are taxpayer funded and the citizens can decide for themselves what parts of the mission they prioritize.

they are no rules that prevent 70,000 people from showing up to watch a chemistry experiment. Shove the bow tie up your ass.

the academic institutions were created by taxpayers and are taxpayer funded and the citizens can decide for themselves what parts of the mission they prioritize.

they are no rules that prevent 70,000 people from showing up to watch a chemistry experiment. Shove the bow tie up your ass.
Yes there is...it’s called the Fire Code.,

Bow tie eh? Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT