ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa Football Greats: Can you name

Jackhawk87; thought I could edit out narrative in original post. Obviously not. No door prize this week. Just enjoy the photo!

Alex Karas, Randy Duncan. Watched both play in Iowa City. Mike Riley, Wally Hilgenberg. Both teammates of my brother. Andre Tippett, Dallas Clark, Cal Jones, Larry Station, Chuck Long, then of course Nile Kinnick.
Never saw Kinnick play so no comment on who is #1, but to me it is Alex Karas. Saw almost all his games. He was just spectacular and dominant.
Did not mention Willie Fleming since he was already mentioned.

Last edited:
Bobby Jeter 190+ yards on 9 carries in the '59 Rose Bowl. Remember watching him run a 80 yard touchdown. I think that was a year after Randy Duncan, my favorite.

thom67 you got something against punters
Not at all. My brother kicked for Iowa. If I were picking a team, I wouldn’t pick a punter in my top group. Just like the NFL does not draft punters in the first round very often.

Not at all. My brother kicked for Iowa. If I were picking a team, I wouldn’t pick a punter in my top group. Just like the NFL does not draft punters in the first round very often.

So are you Mr Roby or Robert Gallery?

Great to see Randy Duncan getting mentioned. He was one who recruited me out of law school and I was partners with him for close to 20 years until he passed. Most humble guy I have ever met. You would never know he was a football star by talking to him. Last Iowa QB to win is a Rose Bowl, Heisman runner-up and what people forget was he was the Number 1 NFL draft choice. Great football player but better person. RIP Dunc.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
ADVERTISEMENT