ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa Health Care to address health care access gap in Southeast Iowa City

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001

Planning continues for primary care health facility in underserved area​

University of Iowa Health Care is addressing the health care access gap in Iowa City’s southeast neighborhood by planning more primary care services in this underserved area.

Although the southeast side of Iowa City is the most densely populated part of the city, it has the fewest primary care options, according to an analysis by UI Health Care. Many residents must travel outside of their immediate community to access care.

“In order to build strong neighborhoods and a healthy community, we need to make sure everyone has access to high-quality health care,” says Bruce Teague, Iowa City Mayor At-Large. “We are pleased the University of Iowa shares this commitment to increase health care access. By placing primary care services in this currently underserved neighborhood, we can have a positive impact on the health of our community for years to come.”
The university has begun the request for proposal (RFP) process to identify the developer and exact location to establish a new facility in southeast Iowa City. Project details are forthcoming, with completion anticipated by 2025.
In addition to serving patients’ primary care needs, the planned southeast Iowa City facility will enhance the university’s ability to train future physicians to help address the shortage of physicians across the state, as well as conduct medical research.

Improving health outcomes with local access​

Studies have shown that limited access to primary care can increase people’s use of emergency departments or urgent care as their main source of health care. Not only does this increase health care costs and emergency care backlogs, but it also increases a person’s likelihood of developing chronic diseases.
“Having a relationship with a primary care doctor for regular, preventative care is shown to have better long-term health outcomes,” says Kim Hunter, DNP, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, Interim Chief Executive Officer and Chief Nurse Executive at University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics. “By adding services in southeast Iowa City, we are increasing local access and reducing barriers for individuals seeking high-quality care.”

A vision for the future of health care in Iowa​

The construction of a primary care health facility in southeast Iowa City is part of UI Health Care’s commitment to increase health care access for Iowans across the state while training the next generation of Iowa’s physicians. Nearly half of physicians trained at UI Health Care go on to practice in Iowa.
Once complete, the southeast Iowa City facility will house most of the primary care services currently located at the main campus of UI Hospitals & Clinics. Space planning across UI Health Care locations in future and existing facilities looks at reconfiguring and expanding health care services and academic space to serve patients and their families as well as faculty and staff as part of the university facility master plan.
As the state’s only comprehensive academic medical center, UI Hospitals & Clinics will continue to evaluate the best location for services to increase health care access for patients while fulfilling its patient care, teaching, and research mission.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Bulldoze Kirkwood or Sycamore and put it there. But, that probably wouldn't be fancy enough, so they'll buy up some farmland and put it someplace hard to get to for the people they are saying they want to serve.

Should have bulldozed Pepperwood Plaza and put it there. Or, buy the old KMart (trampoline park and Stuff) and clean that out to build there.

Should have bulldozed Pepperwood Plaza and put it there. Or, buy the old KMart (trampoline park and Stuff) and clean that out to build there.
Or, Eastdale. Keep the DMV office in the basement of the hospital and the rest can go.

You can get anywhere in IC from anywhere in IC in ten minutes or less. Nothing is inaccessible
This. ^^ Plus...until the last few years, there was a plethora of health care options on the SE side. But most, maybe all, of them moved out. (Think Towncrest area)

I would suggest that the reasons behind this exodus be considered before "doubling down" with more "investment" in the area, particularly when there are tax dollars in play.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Knowing what's going on with your health is necessary anyway, so it's great that you started doing it. You know, to help you, I want to recommend to use strong delta 8 gummies where you could use to find some products and then forget about constant fatigue and lack of sleep. I hope you will definitely try to consume it yourself.

Knowing what's going on with your health is necessary anyway, so it's great that you started doing it. You know, to help you, I want to recommend to use strong delta 8 gummies where you could use to find some products and then forget about constant fatigue and lack of sleep. I hope you will definitely try to consume it yourself.

NC - come get your bot. He’s lost.

This. ^^ Plus...until the last few years, there was a plethora of health care options on the SE side. But most, maybe all, of them moved out. (Think Towncrest area)

I would suggest that the reasons behind this exodus be considered before "doubling down" with more "investment" in the area, particularly when there are tax dollars in play.
Towncrest was built 60 years ago? The doctors were independent or tied to Mercy, and a bunch of them have long since retired or died.
Just saying.

Towncrest was built 60 years ago? The doctors were independent or tied to Mercy, and a bunch of them have long since retired or died.
Just saying.
Largely true. ^^ But if there was such an unfilled "need" for eastside HC then there would still be clinics there, with new, younger staff, etc.

Reactions: GOHOX69
The current health care infrastructure is short workers in this area. Who is going to staff this and the NL Hospital?

Largely true. ^^ But if there was such an unfilled "need" for eastside HC then there would still be clinics there, with new, younger staff, etc.
Not arguing, but medicine has really evolved since those buildings went up. Many of them would need to be gutted and rebuilt. Easier to start fresh and have a purpose built campus. So many technological and therapeutic changes that those old buildings aren’t suited for.

There kind of still is an east side medical plaza. But, it’s the U of I urgent/quickcare/medical offices off Scott Blouvard and Rochester Ave.

Granted it has been over 20 years since I lived in Iowa City, but my last year I lived in the SE side. I enjoyed it, but you could clearly tell that the Chamber of Commerce and City Council didn't give much attention to it.

ADVERTISEMENT