ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa signs $449K settlement with resigned gymnastics coach

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The day that University of Iowa administrators announced women’s gymnastics head coach Larissa Libby had resigned — more than a month after they placed her on paid administrative leave — they signed a settlement deal paying her a total $449,000, plus a final payout of her $173,349 salary.

The settlement amount includes $330,000 in “liquidated damages” because of a clause in her contract requiring the payment for “termination by university without cause,” according to the agreement signed May 13 by UI President Barbara Wilson and UI Athletic Director Beth Goetz.

Libby signed the settlement May 10, three days before the university announced her resignation on the same day it announced that women’s head basketball coach Lisa Bluder was retiring and that Jan Jensen is succeeding her.

In addition to the $330,000 in damages, Libby will receive supplemental pay of $79,350, and the university will pay $39,650 to the Newkirk Zwagerman law firm of Des Moines.

The final payout of “salary and earned but not yet paid incentive compensation” includes payment of unused vacation leave.

As part of the arrangement, Libby agreed not to sue the university, the state, the Board of Regents or any of its employees or affiliates for any grievances arising from her employment at the UI. She also committed not to “reenter any university athletics department facilities without the prior written consent of (the university)” except to attend events that are open to the public, according to the settlement.

“Unauthorized entry into such facilities will be considered a breach of this agreement and may subject (Libby) to legal action, including an action to recover any compensation paid out pursuant this agreement,” the settlement says.

The deal does not constitute an admission of wrongdoing by either party. Libby agreed to withdraw all complaints, charges, grievances or claims within five days. She also agreed not to seek or accept any future job with the university.

The final payout, according to the arrangement, will be made in two installments: $200,000 will be paid no later than July 1, and $209,350 will be paid no later than Jan. 15, 2025. The attorneys fees could be paid out sooner and separately.

Then-Iowa women's gymnastics head coach Larissa Libby laughs Nov. 25, 2014, as she talks with gymnasts during practice at the University of Iowa Fieldhouse in Iowa City. (Jim Slosiarek/The Gazette) Then-Iowa women's gymnastics head coach Larissa Libby laughs Nov. 25, 2014, as she talks with gymnasts during practice at the University of Iowa Fieldhouse in Iowa City. (Jim Slosiarek/The Gazette)

‘A tremendous journey’​

Libby — in her 20th year as head coach and 24th year with the Hawkeye program — went on paid administrative leave in March, when Hawkeye Athletics hired legal counsel to conduct an independent review of the gymnastics program.

Instigating the review were concerns about the program environment under Libby, according to a UI news release. Details of those concerns haven’t been made public.

“Recently, members of the team and staff brought forward concerns regarding the head coach, related to the environment within the program,” UI athletics officials said in a statement. “After learning of these concerns, it was determined an independent review of the program was warranted.”

Libby’s leave was to “protect the integrity of the review” and was not “a disciplinary measure,” officials said.

Phil Catanzano, co-founder of Boston-based Education and Sports Law Group, conducted the review, but UI hasn’t publicly shared its findings.

“My time at Iowa has been a tremendous journey,” Libby said in a statement at the time her resignation was announced. “Joining this athletic department under Dr. Christine Grant as a young coach was one of the best decisions I have made and one that essentially shaped the course of my career.”

UI Athletics in 2022 extended Libby’s contract through 2026. Gary Barta, UI athletic director at the time, praised her for continuing to elevate the program both in the Big Ten and nationally.

“Larissa has dedicated her life to this program, and she embodies the Win. Graduate. Do It Right. philosophy,” Barta said in a statement. “I am excited to see this program continue to grow under Larissa’s watch.”

Over Libby’s tenure, the Hawkeye women’s gymnastics program consistently was a top-25 team nationally — appearing in 24 consecutive NCAA regional appearances, individually or as a team. In 2021, the squad won the Big Ten regular season title.

Libby herself was a three-time Big Ten and two-time NCAA regional coach of the year, coaching 12 All-Americans and six first-team All-Americans at the NCAA Championships. She coached 15 Big Ten champions, six NCAA regional champions, and 11 NCAA Championships qualifiers.

Student-athletes under Libby’s tenure earned academic All-America distinction 51 times.

In her statement at the time of her resignation, Libby recognized the "young women and coaches who have journeyed through our program and are now out in the world contributing to society at the highest level.“

“Leaving behind all of the wonderful coaches in all different sports, who mentored, encouraged, and inspired me throughout my years at Iowa will be the hardest part of saying goodbye,” she said then. “I will miss your friendship and unconditional support, but I look forward to the future and bringing all I have learned to whatever new opportunities lie ahead.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT