ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa student falls from six-floor residence hall window

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
He's lucky to be alive!:

A University of Iowa student has been hospitalized after falling out of a sixth-floor window at Mayflower Residence Hall early Thursday.

UI police were called to Mayflower, 1110 North Dubuque St., at 4:22 a.m. for a report of a student falling out the window and landing on the hall’s north roof — meaning he fell about five stories, according to UI Public Safety spokeswoman Hayley Bruce.

Initial reports are the fall was an accident. Students said they were “playing around in a residence hall room when one student leaned back and fell through the screen of an open window,” Bruce said.

Advertisement

The student, who was not identified, was able to speak with first responders when they arrived, and he was transported to UI Hospitals and Clinics for treatment.

UI police are investigating. The university is offering counseling services to any student who needs it.

Mayflower — which opened in 1966 — is home to 1,032 students on the east side of campus.

When they built the new library my alma mater built a terrace on it and I continue to be surprised that no one has fallen off of it yet.

Was a nice place to study when the weather was good.

2706984618_2704053903_b.jpg

2706978136_f41c9e4ac9_b.jpg

I don't recall the windows opening that far, but they were also like chest high... you'd have to be standing on a bed to try to get out or up against the windows.

Back in my college days, some guys were horsing around and a kid got shoved into a set of closed elevator doors. For some reason the doors gave way and he fell down the shaft—@died. #CSB

• Sad
Reactions: GOHOX69
exactly what I was going for
Maybe I misconstrued your statement, but I interpreted as you implying the kid who fell out the window was somehow going to get paid via a lawsuit/settlement. This day and age it’s always someone else’s fault.

Maybe I misconstrued your statement, but I interpreted as you implying the kid who fell out the window was somehow going to get paid via a lawsuit/settlement. This day and age it’s always someone else’s fault.
I’m insinuating lawyers will be paid because lawyers gonna fcking lawyer this ish outta this

Reactions: cigaretteman
Terrell Mansion

Iowa City, IA. Year unknown. The Walter Terrell Mansion was built in 1851. Sometime in the 1930's or 1940's it became Mayflower Inn, with Mayflower Nite Club inside, a popular spot for receptions, parties and dances In the mid-1960's the building was demolished and an eight-story Mayflower Apartments at 1110 N. Dubuque St. in Iowa City was built in 1966, later Mayflower Residence Hall for the University of Iowa.

Nile Kinnick and friends dining at the Mayflower...

Wasn’t there a famous murder in the Mayflower late 60s?
Don't recall that. Are you thinking the owner of George's Buffet, Edward Kriz...

ADVERTISEMENT