ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa to rename Mercy: ‘UI Health Care Medical Center Downtown’

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
When the University of Iowa finalizes its $28 million purchase of the historic Mercy Iowa City community hospital in 2024, it will rename it, “University of Iowa Health Care Medical Center Downtown,” according to a rebranding announcement Thursday — officially bringing to an end the 150-year-old Mercy Iowa City era.

As part of the brand update, UIHC will rename its traditional hospitals and clinics location at 200 Hawkins Drive across from Kinnick Stadium, “University of Iowa Health Care Medical Center.”

The university will adopt new logos for UI Health Care, UI Carver College of Medicine, UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital, and UI Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center.

ADVERTISING

New identities for UI Health Care “hubs” will include:

• “University campus,” reflecting the academic medical center across from Kinnick;

• “Downtown campus,” which “will serve the current Mercy Hospital and Mercy Medical Plaza buildings on East Market Street in Iowa City”;

• And “North Liberty campus,” a new $525.6 million hospital and clinic site set to debut in 2025 “initially serving orthopedics and sports medicine.”

Although UIHC two years ago stripped all mention of orthopedic plans from a second state application to build in North Liberty — after a first application was denied following criticism of UIHC’s ortho- and community-care intentions — the university recently confirmed “orthopedics and sports medicine will move the majority of their department's clinical, research, and educational programs to North Liberty.”

While UIHC in its rebranding announcement Thursday didn’t delve into specific plans for its new “downtown campus” involving the former Mercy site, UIHC Vice President for Medical Affairs Denise Jamieson in a statement said, “We are committed to honoring Mercy Iowa City’s legacy as we work to build a model of care for our region that is sustainable and accessible.”

“Each organization brings its own strengths and a shared commitment to serve all in our community.”

Acknowledging, “We don’t know what the future course will look like right now,” UIHC officials shared their focus right now is on completing the Mercy sale.

“We expect to maintain the current services offered at Mercy Iowa City for the time being and as community needs are assessed,” according to an FAQ for Mercy employees. “This is an opportunity to define a new course to meet our shared mission of caring for all."

UIHC did note in its rebranding announcement that, because it’s a state entity, “separation from Mercy’s religious affiliation is part of the planned transition.”

“In this new chapter, UI Health Care will honor Mercy Iowa City's strong legacy of hospitality and community connections,” according to the branding announcement, adding, “The Sisters of Mercy and Mercy Hospital leaders are planning a prayer ritual in January to honor the Sisters’ dedication to the hospital and commitment to the Iowa City community.”

UIHC growth​

In a statement, UI Health Care administrators said new branding closely aligns with updates made several years ago and “signal UI Health Care’s evolution to meet the health care needs for the state across its patient care, medical education, and biomedical research mission.”

“As we look at how UI Health Care will care for more Iowans in more ways across the state, our brand and logos are one way we communicate our strengths: our people and our reputation for excellence,” Jamieson, who also heads the UI Carver College of Medicine as dean, said in a statement.

As UI Health Care expands its clinical reach across the state — for example, leasing property along the Missouri River in April and buying medical office space near the Mississippi River last month — UIHC’s footprint is exploding, given substantial new construction also underway or in the works.

UIHC is planning to build a $1 billion inpatient tower on its newly-branded medical center site; erect a $249 million Health Sciences Academic Building nearby; and complete numerous expansions and renovations costing tens of millions — including to its main campus emergency room, existing inpatient tower, and children’s hospital.

“To meet the growing needs of Iowa’s population that is aging and often requires care teams across multiple specialties, UI Health Care will continue to address the most complex care at its university campus in Iowa City and also look to provide access to its services in more locations closer to home for many Iowa families,” according to UIHC rebranding communication.

“Building on the trust that Iowans have in UI Health Care, we seek to have more services and pathways to UI Health Care that supports patients and their families as well as our partners at other hospitals and health systems,” Jamieson said in a statement.

Mercy legacy, UIHC future​

Addressing the question of why UIHC isn’t keeping the Mercy name in its assumption of the community hospital, officials said, “Mercy Iowa City retained ownership of the Mercy name as part of the transition agreement with the University of Iowa.”

Until completion of the sale — which, pending numerous bankruptcy court challenges and hurdles, is expected in early 2024 — Mercy will retain its name and brand, as it continues operating.

“There are no changes for Mercy Iowa City patients at this time,” UIHC officials announced. “If patients receive their care with Mercy Iowa City, they should continue to schedule and go to their appointments as usual."

Looking forward, UIHC is committed to retaining an “open medical staff,” meaning “community providers not employed by UI Health Care may continue to practice at the Mercy Iowa City facility under an open medical staff model.”

For Mercy Iowa City employees who accept a job with UI Health Care, the expectation is they officially will begin their UIHC employment Jan. 31, 2024.

“The target date for issuing official offers outlining UI Health Care job title and salary is mid-January,” according to the FAQ. “The University of Iowa Health Care does not maintain a ‘Do Not Rehire’ list.”

Catchy name :rolleyes:
Not that I have a better one in mind, but that doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue. :) The acronym doesn't really seem to help either, UoIHCMCD. Homicide? :) I don't see that working either.

Fellow GIAHORT'ers...this is a call to action, we need to rally and come up with a decent name here since the powers that be bombed it. :)

What say ye?

Not that I have a better one in mind, but that doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue. :) The acronym doesn't really seem to help either, UoIHCMCD. Homicide? :) I don't see that working either.

Fellow GIAHORT'ers...this is a call to action, we need to rally and come up with a decent name here since the powers that be bombed it. :)

What say ye?
What would be wrong with UI-Mercy?

No more checker logo for the children’s hospital. Lots of unhappy folks in that building.
Not to mention a lot of money going to be spent in rebranding.

Reactions: torbee
Which building? The Children's Hospital? Why?
The stead family children’s hospital. It will now have
Iowa
Healthcare
in in block lettering and say stead family children’s hospital under it.
Want the whole hospital to have the same branding I believe.

What say ye?

Herky Hospital.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Yikes….that rolls off the tongue like a ton of bricks…wonder what consulting firm thought this one up…

It's still gonna be Mercy to me, and the hospitals will be the hospitals.

Imagine the meetings with catered lunches that went into picking that name.

Remember when Green State was UI Credit Union and had that naming fiasco? Disterhoft is regarded as being this great CEO who grew UICCU, but a lot of CEO's would not have survived that **** up.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Probably pretty similar to the ones picking out a new athletic director when the one acting as the athletic director will take over.
Hey, they know catering. Trust me on this. I went to some fancy shindig in the Kinnick luxury boxes. They easily blew at least 20K on lunch and entertainment.

Remember when Green State was UI Credit Union and had that naming fiasco? Disterhoft is regarded as being this great CEO who grew UICCU, but a lot of CEO's would not have survived that **** up.
He does have a fleet of Porsches. He did just fine ;)
I don't think people have a clue of his compensation.

Beware the borg. Seriously.
Well, it worked for me. I had an ER visit recently that resulted in a surgical consultation. It was a 10 week wait at UIHC. I called "Mercy", last week when we were told insurance coverage is now extended to Mercy doctors and was told I could come in today. I'll have surgery 3 weeks before I was to even have the consolation. I don't think I am off the mark in saying the surgery wait would have been 4-6 months at UIHC. I assume the back log will build up quickly, but at least for now there is some positive relief to the system.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Well, it worked for me. I had an ER visit recently that resulted in a surgical consultation. It was a 10 week wait at UIHC. I called "Mercy", last week when we were told insurance coverage is now extended to Mercy doctors and was told I could come in today. I'll have surgery 3 weeks before I was to even have the consolation. I don't think I am off the mark in saying the surgery wait would have been 4-6 months at UIHC. I assume the back log will build up quickly, but at least for now there is some positive relief to the system.
My friend died of leukemia there yesterday. They did a cardiac procedure and literally pierced his heart. Oopsies.

• Wow
Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
My friend died of leukemia there yesterday. They did a cardiac procedure and literally pierced his heart. Oopsies.
Well, sorry about your friend, but, which was it? Leukemia, or a cardiac procedure gone wrong? I researched my guy, and his numbers are good. He won't be near my heart, or any major blood vessels, either.

Well, sorry about your friend, but, which was it? Leukemia, or a cardiac procedure gone wrong? I researched my guy, and his numbers are good. He won't be near my heart, or any major blood vessels, either.
Cardiac procedure botched.

• Wow
Reactions: lucas80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT