ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa wants to erect 'gateway monuments' across campus

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Structures would 'welcome guests to the university'
AR-190409932.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

Diagram of one of the proposed granite columns. (Submitted photo)

IOWA CITY — The University of Iowa wants to erect granite monuments at various “gateway” locations across campus, and it’s looking to hire a supplier to create and install the 13-foot structures.

On Tuesday the university issued a public call for proposals from suppliers interested in delivering on designs for the proposed monuments, which include a tall granite column emblazoned with an official University of Iowa bronze seal and topped with an 18-inch granite world globe.

“The Gateway Project requires the supplier to fabricate, provide, store, deliver and install a series of granite monuments with a bronze seal at various locations around campus to welcome guests to the university,” according to the request for proposals, which are due back by April 25.

The request for proposals doesn’t specify how many monuments the university wants to erect, or where on campus. It also doesn’t project an anticipated cost or time frame, or who would pay for the project.

The monument designs go into detail about what kind of granite to use — Barre Gray, topaz gray or an equivalent with minimal speckling. The bronze UI seal should be two-toned, and the world globe should have North America front-facing, according to the documents.

University of Iowa granite drawings by Gazetteonline on Scribd

The word “IOWA” in bronze lettering should adorn the granite base.

The structures should be built with “vandal-resistant construction materials, methods, and equipment,” according to the request for proposals.

“Supplier shall apply anti-graffiti coating to monument,” according to the document, although “anti-graffiti coating shall not change the appearance.”

A UI committee will evaluate proposals and recommend an award.

The university in recent years has employed a range of promotional and welcoming initiatives across the Iowa City campus. This winter, for the second time, it featured undergraduate and graduate researchers on large banners throughout downtown, highlighting their work and daring onlookers to “create, cure, explore, imagine, discover.”

The “Dare to Discover” campaign aimed to “put a face to the countless groundbreaking discoveries, innovations, and creative works generated by researchers and scholars at the University of Iowa,” according to the UI Office of the Vice President for Research. UI recently has intentionally slowed enrollment in hopes of right-sizing its campus and coalescing around its mission to support student success and world-renowned research, despite state funding cuts.

Lawmakers in recent years have slashed appropriations, forcing the university to increase tuition rates for all students, close some campus centers, eliminate some non-need-based scholarship programs, and freeze faculty pay for a period. The university also halted new campus construction for a five-month period last year.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...nite-gateway-monuments-across-campus-20190402

Reactions: Pinehawk
Who is paying for this? How long before they are puke covered or vandalized?

You are (state taxes).

And, when they then expand the university footprint outside the locations they place these, you'll pay to have them relocated, too....
:cool:

Reactions: cigaretteman
I’m all for this if they can:

a) wrap an art design class into this to actually make it look cool and unique
b) wrap an engineering class into this to help construct and perhaps include a new feature to combat graffiti or do something else new, c) wrap yet another class into this and call it “fundraising 101” to source money for the raw materials. End of day, pay for zero labor costs/design costs. Only raw materials.

Students need real world experience, here ya go!

Reactions: JWolf74 and Rudolph
How long until it becomes a thing to do something at all of the sites. A new tradition is born!

I was hoping for something like the St Louis Arch that we can ride in.

This looks like tombstones and nobody fricking cares.

Structures would 'welcome guests to the university'
AR-190409932.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

Diagram of one of the proposed granite columns. (Submitted photo)

IOWA CITY — The University of Iowa wants to erect granite monuments at various “gateway” locations across campus, and it’s looking to hire a supplier to create and install the 13-foot structures.

On Tuesday the university issued a public call for proposals from suppliers interested in delivering on designs for the proposed monuments, which include a tall granite column emblazoned with an official University of Iowa bronze seal and topped with an 18-inch granite world globe.

“The Gateway Project requires the supplier to fabricate, provide, store, deliver and install a series of granite monuments with a bronze seal at various locations around campus to welcome guests to the university,” according to the request for proposals, which are due back by April 25.

The request for proposals doesn’t specify how many monuments the university wants to erect, or where on campus. It also doesn’t project an anticipated cost or time frame, or who would pay for the project.

The monument designs go into detail about what kind of granite to use — Barre Gray, topaz gray or an equivalent with minimal speckling. The bronze UI seal should be two-toned, and the world globe should have North America front-facing, according to the documents.

University of Iowa granite drawings by Gazetteonline on Scribd

The word “IOWA” in bronze lettering should adorn the granite base.

The structures should be built with “vandal-resistant construction materials, methods, and equipment,” according to the request for proposals.

“Supplier shall apply anti-graffiti coating to monument,” according to the document, although “anti-graffiti coating shall not change the appearance.”

A UI committee will evaluate proposals and recommend an award.

The university in recent years has employed a range of promotional and welcoming initiatives across the Iowa City campus. This winter, for the second time, it featured undergraduate and graduate researchers on large banners throughout downtown, highlighting their work and daring onlookers to “create, cure, explore, imagine, discover.”

The “Dare to Discover” campaign aimed to “put a face to the countless groundbreaking discoveries, innovations, and creative works generated by researchers and scholars at the University of Iowa,” according to the UI Office of the Vice President for Research. UI recently has intentionally slowed enrollment in hopes of right-sizing its campus and coalescing around its mission to support student success and world-renowned research, despite state funding cuts.

Lawmakers in recent years have slashed appropriations, forcing the university to increase tuition rates for all students, close some campus centers, eliminate some non-need-based scholarship programs, and freeze faculty pay for a period. The university also halted new campus construction for a five-month period last year.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...nite-gateway-monuments-across-campus-20190402
I like this idea. Compared to many Big 10 campuses, Iowa has a bit of a dearth of public art and statuary,

Awesome.

It's not like the cost of college is out of control or anything, I think a few random expenses like this will fit nicely in the budget. Students won't mind a bit more suffocating student loan debt.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Awesome.

It's not like the cost of college is out of control or anything, I think a few random expenses like this will fit nicely in the budget. Students won't mind a bit more suffocating student loan debt.
Presumably there will be a capital campaign. Don't like it? Don't donate.

It will not have any impact on student expenses.

I agree. It will be made by a company that does grave markers. Unnecessary if you ask me.
If I understand correctly, that is just one draft of a possible type of structure and the University is soliciting bids for design.

I would hope they could find something much more aesthetically pleasing than a simple plinth. But even if not, if created on a large enough scale and placed in the right spot, those could look pretty dope too.

I wish Iowa would have a nice public fountain on its campus, like the one above from UW. Or any of these:

Michigan:

Ohio State:
OSUSpiritofWomenPark_2.JPG

Purdue:
loeb-fountain-purdue-university-campus-with-beering-hall-left-university-HA014J.jpg

Indiana State:

07_27_16_aerial-0281.jpg

This is what I mean about "dearth of public art" on Iowa's campus. We don't really have any iconic public art.

In keeping with the university theme and school colors.....we should name it the Golden Shower, and light it up with yellow floodlights at nighttime.....

Reactions: UKGrad93
If that granite column is the final design, it will get protested for being a phallic symbol. longliveCS40 is right.

Maybe we could make each of those granite phallic monuments its own "fountain", and light up the water stream with yellow/gold lights at night.

Then, to address the phallic symbol unfairness, make a big pool/fountain on the Pentacrest in the shape of a woman's vulva with a yellow shower, too.

Problem.solved.

We have a fountain.

348s.jpg
That's city-owned public art and not on campus.

The place I've always thought would be perfect for a big fountain (like the Indiana State one) is in Hubbard Park across from the IMU. You could put walkways and lighting around it and make it a very nice public space and not just a giant empty expanse of grass, which is what it is now.

I like the idea and look forward to seeing them around campus.

That's city-owned public art and not on campus.

The place I've always thought would be perfect for a big fountain (like the Indiana State one) is in Hubbard Park across from the IMU. You could put walkways and lighting around it and make it a very nice public space and not just a giant empty expanse of grass, which is what it is now.

But where would they hold the bi-annual poster sale?

Reactions: ThorneStockton
FYI regarding funding, our reporter got this tidbit today:

According to the university, the bill for the project will be footed by a private donation to the UI Center for Advancement beautification fund
Sounds too foofy liberal, don’t like it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT