ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa wrestling-Recruiting-Swoosh

burk11

HR All-State
Mar 12, 2003
During the recently completed NCAA tournament I could not help but be impressed with the new look Iowa uniform, fashionably adorned with the Nike Swoosh (logo) on the breast.

Also merits noting that three (3) of the top four (4) team place winners were recently ranked in the top twenty (20) recipients of lucrative shoe contracts (see link below). The University of Iowa was not among the top twenty.

Also observed, the ubiquitous shoe logo(s) on all place winners from the Power Five NCAA Conferences (ACC, Big-10, Big-12, SEC, PAC-12). It is interesting that no Division II/III singlet is adorned with a similar accessory. This is difficult to grasp, but I would speculate … (?).

An old homily; Economic forces and NCAA athletics are like water and gravity, water will get to the ocean.​

A quick note regarding the coaching vacancies at the University of Wisconsin and the University of Michigan, keep in mind/keep your eye on Mike Poeta, currently an assistant at the University of Illinois. He is well known and respected in the wrestling community.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daniel...-valuable-college-apparel-deals/#730087282907

Sadly, college sports is now all about money and its effect on recruiting. From shoe contracts, to wealthy coaches, to big donors, to slush funds, to under the table cash payments to athletes and promises of plum positions in post-college wrestling clubs.

This is one of the reason why Bael has been so bad for the sport.

Sadly, college sports is now all about money and its effect on recruiting. From shoe contracts, to wealthy coaches, to big donors, to slush funds, to under the table cash payments to athletes and promises of plum positions in post-college wrestling clubs.

LMAO 1. Penn State was not one of the top 20 and 2. if you really think these contracts are based on who coaches wrestling teams, you need to take a break.

Cael has not been bad for this sport he draws a crowd with his recruits. Has he been bad for Iowa yes, but we need to step up are game. Wrestling in general has a small following compared to other sports it really needed something. If Cael has been bad for the sport then Gable was just as bad. This is the peaks and valleys of wrestling only 3 or 4 teams have been dominant over the last 60 years just how it goes.

Reactions: Sett1997 and tabenn
LMAO 1. Penn State was not one of the top 20 and 2. if you really think these contracts are based on who coaches wrestling teams, you need to take a break.

Is this low-IQ shtick? Nowhere did I tie a shoe deal to the wrestling team. Jfc, I said that college athletics has become all about money and recruiting.

Cael has not been bad for this sport he draws a crowd with his recruits. Has he been bad for Iowa yes, but we need to step up are game. Wrestling in general has a small following compared to other sports it really needed something. If Cael has been bad for the sport then Gable was just as bad. This is the peaks and valleys of wrestling only 3 or 4 teams have been dominant over the last 60 years just how it goes.

Bael has been bad because he has furthered the descent of wrestling into a $$$ and recruiting arms race.

Just look at this board for evidence -- all everyone discusses now is (i) how to get more top tier recruits and (ii) how to raise more money.

Last edited:
Is this low-IQ shtick? Nowhere did I tie a shoe deal to the wrestling team. Jfc, I said that college athletics has become all about money and recruiting.

Go back and read your own post. You specifically mentioned shoe contracts and in the next sentence said "this is one of the reasons that Cael is bad for the sport". If those aren't tied together, then it is a very poorly written post. If you didn't want to tie it to the shoe contracts, then you should not have included them.

Having said all of that, I agree with your general theory that college athletics have become way too involved with the pursuit of money.

Go back and read your own post. You specifically mentioned shoe contracts and in the next sentence said "this is one of the reasons that Cael is bad for the sport". If those aren't tied together, then it is a very poorly written post. If you didn't want to tie it to the shoe contracts, then you should not have included them.

Having said all of that, I agree with your general theory that college athletics have become way too involved with the pursuit of money.

Bro, I listed some examples of ways money and recruiting dominate college athletics today. I did not intend to suggest that all of them apply to Bael.

Bro, I listed some examples of ways money and recruiting dominate college athletics today. I did not intend to suggest that all of them apply to Bael.

Fair enough. I actually think money has become too big an issue on all levels of sports. I'm showing my age, but I preferred the era when baseball players sold insurance during the off-season!

If I recall though Iowa was always affiliated with asic when I was wrestling actually think I have a few pairs that had the Gable name. Money and sports go hand in hand if wrestling didn't make people money it would not exist this is why so many Universities have drooped wrestling. If you are not competitive you get no money so program gets dropped.

If I recall though Iowa was always affiliated with asic when I was wrestling actually think I have a few pairs that had the Gable name. Money and sports go hand in hand if wrestling didn't make people money it would not exist this is why so many Universities have drooped wrestling. If you are not competitive you get no money so program gets dropped.

Sad to think that at one time there were over 300 wrestling programs. Now, there are less than 100. I agree that there is a proper place in college athletics for money. But, I think too often big donors and TV have had too much influence.

Unless you have federal legislation that basically requires your sport's survival...

Reactions: Hunter78

I recall reading a while back that at most every university, only football and basketball actually make money. Not convinced that lack of revenue production by wrestling is the primary reason programs have been dropped. Title IX may have been a bigger factor.

Reactions: Dagboi
I recall reading a while back that at most every university, only football and basketball actually make money. Not convinced that lack of revenue production by wrestling is the primary reason programs have been dropped. Title IX may have been a bigger factor.

Neither of those sports make any money at a whole host of schools.

Lionfan44,

My error, good catch. I inadvertently linked the wrong table, see correction/link below. I believe the PSU ranking may have been updated post the NCAA football season. There are so many of these listings ‘out there’ that it is hard to keep all the balls in the air, without an occasional slip.

Some explaining; the University of Iowa wrestling team did not display the Nike logo on their uniform prior to the NCAA wrestling tournament. Notwithstanding every other University of Iowa intercollegiate athletic team displaying the Nike logo on their uniform (confirm some of the photos the University of Iowa athletic website).

Think about the numbers. During the NCAA wrestling tournament, every time a wrestler from one of the Power-Five conference teams steps onto the mat, that logo (Adidas, New Balance, Nike, Under-Armour) is on national television/internet/mobile devise for seven (7) minutes (or in some cases less than seven (7) minutes).

What is the value of that advertising? How much money is that advertising worth? How does that money find its way to the university athletic program (without exploitation) ? How is that money budgeted/ allocated by the university? What is the impact on the university’s recruiting program (wrestling)? How does that money impact the university’s facility development (wrestling)? What other athletic enhancements will benefit from this advertisement? And finally where is the money for the participants (wrestlers)?

As I stated in my initial post; water will find its way to the ocean despite all dams or walls, gravity cannot be resisted. Money will find its way to these athletic programs despite all NCAA opposition.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlyb...le-college-sports-apparel-deals/#3654b986308f

Neither of those sports make any money at a whole host of schools.

True, but in the P5 conferences football and men's basketball are the only programs that are a net positive in terms of revenue. Perhaps women's hoops at Tennessee as they sell out quite regularly for Lady Vols hoops.

Football and men's basketball carry the freight for everything else. It's what the large TV contracts are based on. As schools come under pressure to comply from an opportunity standpoint for men and women, non-revenue men's sports came under scrutiny. Wrestling, baseball and others are down in # of teams participating.

Bael has been bad because he has furthered the decent of wrestling into a $$$ and recruiting arms race.

Just look at this board for evidence -- all everyone discusses now is (i) how to get more top tier recruits and (ii) how to raise more money.

Furthered your decent

I'm with LutherAce, GG, and TNTwrestle. Ever since the Oregon wrestling fiasco, I have absolutely despised Nike. I haven't purchased Nike anything since Oregon dropped wrestling.

I absolutely love all of the positive momentum building in and around University of Iowa Wrestling/HWC. The fundraising, addition of Perry, Des Moines group, new facility, BONUS POINTS, etc. However, I didn't like the HWC and Terry partnership with Nike a couple years ago. And I didn't like seeing Tom and the wrestlers wearing Nike shoes this year. Now they've ditched their Cliff Keen singlets in favor of Nike.

I've purchased a decent amount of Iowa/HWC apparel from Ironside over the years, but never the Nike stuff. I have worn only Asics wrestling shoes and running shoes going back at least to my freshman year of high school (1998). Why? Because the Hawks wore Asics. Because Asics made Dan Gable signature shoes. I also always wore Cliff Keen headgear and knee pads for the same reason. I just don't feel like I can make the switch to Nike.

All that being said, it does seem as though Nike has been very aggressive in college wrestling in recent years. Around the same time that Terry and the HWC went Nike, John Smith and Okie State switched to Nike from their longtime sponsor Brute/Adidas. It also seems like Asics has been less aggressive with their wrestling marketing over the past couple years. If Asics ever drops their Gable shoe, I'll likely be purchasing a different brand of running shoes (not that anyone really cares).

Sorry for the incoherent ramblings but those are the jumbled thoughts of one Hawk fan.

All these kids and coaches always mention how much their coaches helped them along the way and how much they love and respect their coaches and vice versa. Caels old coach wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. That says all you need to know.

I'm with LutherAce, GG, and TNTwrestle. Ever since the Oregon wrestling fiasco, I have absolutely despised Nike. I haven't purchased Nike anything since Oregon dropped wrestling.

I absolutely love all of the positive momentum building in and around University of Iowa Wrestling/HWC. The fundraising, addition of Perry, Des Moines group, new facility, BONUS POINTS, etc. However, I didn't like the HWC and Terry partnership with Nike a couple years ago. And I didn't like seeing Tom and the wrestlers wearing Nike shoes this year. Now they've ditched their Cliff Keen singlets in favor of Nike.

I've purchased a decent amount of Iowa/HWC apparel from Ironside over the years, but never the Nike stuff. I have worn only Asics wrestling shoes and running shoes going back at least to my freshman year of high school (1998). Why? Because the Hawks wore Asics. Because Asics made Dan Gable signature shoes. I also always wore Cliff Keen headgear and knee pads for the same reason. I just don't feel like I can make the switch to Nike.

All that being said, it does seem as though Nike has been very aggressive in college wrestling in recent years. Around the same time that Terry and the HWC went Nike, John Smith and Okie State switched to Nike from their longtime sponsor Brute/Adidas. It also seems like Asics has been less aggressive with their wrestling marketing over the past couple years. If Asics ever drops their Gable shoe, I'll likely be purchasing a different brand of running shoes (not that anyone really cares).

Sorry for the incoherent ramblings but those are the jumbled thoughts of one Hawk fan.

4MmX4zh.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT