ADVERTISEMENT

Unless my math is wrong

no_one_

All-Conference
Aug 11, 2006
Garza has to average just over 20 points/game his senior year to become #1 in all time scoring at Iowa. That’s if Iowa doesn’t play any tournament games. Which is obviously very unlikely.
Perhaps unlikely he comes back.

I think people underestimate how much the NBA has changed. I crapped all over Tyler Cook last year but he can run the floor, jump, and is strong.

I wouldn’t be so positive that the reception for Garza is going to be strong from NBA teams this Spring. I just can’t see him playing at NBA game speed the way the game is played today.

Then again, all it takes is 1-2 teams guaranteeing you that they’ll take you in the second round.

regardless of whether he leaves Iowa this year or after next, he will make lots of money playing basketball somewhere for years to come.

Reactions: hawkifann
I think people underestimate how much the NBA has changed. I crapped all over Tyler Cook last year but he can run the floor, jump, and is strong.

I was SO wrong about him. I thought nobody would even give him more than a workout.

I wouldn’t be so positive that the reception for Garza is going to be strong from NBA teams this Spring. I just can’t see him playing at NBA game speed the way the game is played today.

Then again, all it takes is 1-2 teams guaranteeing you that they’ll take you in the second round.

regardless of whether he leaves Iowa this year or after next, he will make lots of money playing basketball somewhere for years to come.

Second round of the NBA draft is NO reason to leave early. 1st round is a different story.

Reactions: Hawkeyegrad2006
His speed is going to really hurt his potential, but his 3 point shot has elevated his game to a level
where most teams would take him in the 2nd round. If he can stay around 37% clip from 3 a lot of teams will take a chance.

Being the all time leading scorer for any university is a big deal. With that being said, Roy did it with a ton of NBA talent on his teams. He will always be the best scorer in Iowa basketball history.

I think Luka becomes the best scorer in school history if he becomes all time scoring leader next season.

Luka has been playing with some pretty good scorers, such as
Tyler Cook, JBo, Joe Wieskamp, etc. Roy was great, of course.
Luka has been a great story, because it caught 'nearly everyone' by surprise. Not everyone though. GO HAWKS !!!

I think Garza could be a Nikola Jokic type guy in the NBA- big physical body, extended range, great footwork, and a bit of a nasty streak type player. He will get a look.

Guys let's remember that Daniel Oturu is projected as an NBA draft pick.......

After watching both on Sunday..........either Garza is capable of the NBA.......or Oturu is not an NBA talent either.

I saw nothing that says Oturu in the NBA with his skill set > Garza in the NBA with his.

Just sayin...

Many NBA picks are based on potential and upside. Oturu has plenty of skills that can't be taught. I am one of the biggest fans of Garza but almost every NBA team would pick Oturu before Garza due to combination of size/athleticism/potential. Fortunately for us Hawkeye fans the NBA game is different than college and I wouldn't trade Garza for anyone.

Luka has been playing with some pretty good scorers, such as
Tyler Cook, JBo, Joe Wieskamp, etc. Roy was great, of course.
Luka has been a great story, because it caught 'nearly everyone' by surprise. Not everyone though. GO HAWKS !!!
Marble played with BJ, Gamble, Lohaus, and Bullard.

What is Tyler Cook's status with the NBA?
He's in the G league, right?
Same as St Nicholas Baer.

Here's Tyler Cook's rookie year so far (G League = $35,000/year, but not a guaranteed contract):

Tyler Cook
Jun 20 2019 undrafted in 2019 NBA Draft
Aug 12 2019 signed with Denver Nuggets
Oct 16 2019 Nuggets ended contract
Oct 18 2019 claimed by Cleveland Cavaliers
Jan 3 2020 signed with Cavaliers
Jan 3 2020 Cavaliers ended contract
Jan 6 2020 waived
Jan 8 2020 free agent
Jan 9 2020 signed with Cavaliers
Jan 9 2020 assigned to Canton Charge G League
Jan 11 2020 recalled to Cavaliers
Jan 19 2020 free agent
Jan 20 2020 signed with Cavaliers
Jan 20 2020 assigned to Canton Charge
Jan 20 2020 recalled to Cavaliers
Jan 28 2020 assigned to Canton Charge
Jan 29 2020 recalled to Cavaliers
Jan 30 2020 free agent

I sure hope Tyler Cook got his degree before he left Iowa. Average annual salary for the top European leagues is $65,000/year, but not guaranteed and a lot of guys bounce around from league to league during the year. There is no reason for Luka to declare early unless he already has his degree and even if he does, the European opportunities will still be there if he isn't a first round draft pick. Very few players make big money in Europe, certainly not enough money to warrant leaving school early without a degree.

In my opinion, it seemed Dirk was always more comfortable facing the basket- where Luka is comfortable posting up.
In college he can get away with posting up, I don't see that in his future.
He's a good shooter and teams know he'll work on his shot as well.

Reactions: K OKeefe
Figuring the minimum games Garza could play from here on out (40 games) 7 remaining this year (min) and 33 next year(min). Garza needs to average 17 pts per game to TIE Marble.
With a healthy roster next season, I would expect Luka does not get the same number of touches as he has this season- 17 points is not unreasonable though.

I think Garza could be a Nikola Jokic type guy in the NBA- big physical body, extended range, great footwork, and a bit of a nasty streak type player. He will get a look.
Jokic is a phenomenal passer. Passing is by far, other than general athleticism, Garza's biggest weakness. If there is anything he could work on that would make him a first round pick, passing would be it.

With a healthy roster next season, I would expect Luka does not get the same number of touches as he has this season- 17 points is not unreasonable though.

Actually with a roster full of healthy shooters next year, I would expect that defenses wouldn't be able to collapse on Luka as much. Well, they'll try until Bohannon and Co. rain threes on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT