ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV QB suddenly quits. Did he not get paid?

Pay Me GIF

NIL is corrupt. He got a better offer.
This isn't the first report of a scenario like this occurring. A&M is notorious for not paying players, UF lost Rashada because they didn't pay the 13 million they promised. If collectives can just promise money and only follow through on those that perform, that's an even bigger problem.

Last edited:
UNLV had a bye last week. By announcing it now, he's really hosing the team. They could have had an extra week to prepare the new starter. Looks like he's now looking for the highest offer to play out his final season next fall.

Interesting times.

UNLV had a bye last week. By announcing it now, he's really hosing the team. They could have had an extra week to prepare the new starter. Looks like he's now looking for the highest offer to play out his final season next fall.

Interesting times.
I’m guessing UNLV kept stringing him along and he finally pulled the plug.

This isn't the first report of a scenario like this occurring. A&M is notorious for not paying players, UF lost Rashada because they didn't pay the 13 million they promised. If collectives can just promise money and only follow through on those that perform, that's an even bigger problem.
They need to allow for iron clad contracts to protect both sides. Enough with the 3/4 measures.

Bad look if you ask me.

He quit on his team/coaches. It's not like he's the backup or something. He's the starter. He 100% just dumped on his team.

I'll laugh if it backfires on him.
If you were promised money for work and weren’t paid for several months, would you keep grinding for your co-workers sake?

The kid left Holy Cross to get paid. He owes nothing to UNLV, his teammates unfortunately are collateral damage.

The reports say that he WAS paid.

NOW, he's asking for MORE.
Direct quote from the kid, I have not seen any credible report suggesting they were being upheld.

“I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled,” Sluka posted on X. “Despite discussions, it became clear that these commitments would not be fulfilled in the future. I wish my teammates the best of luck this season and hope for the continued success of the program.”

Bad look if you ask me.

He quit on his team/coaches. It's not like he's the backup or something. He's the starter. He 100% just dumped on his team.

Can’t say he quit on the coaches, they made promises they didn’t keep. But I agree about his teammates. They deserve better. He should have gotten the money up front. Life lesson.

The reports say that he WAS paid.

NOW, he's asking for MORE.
Where do you read this?

As others above have pointed out (some indirectly with their comments) this is where NIL f***s up the sport. Every other kid on that roster just got shafted. Who's to blame? You could make a case for a variety of people.

Last edited:
Bad look if you ask me.

I see what you mean. On the other hand, he isn't going to be a pro player (a future getting millions). If he was promised money, isn't getting it, and is going to get money somewhere else, then I don't fault him for trying to get paid.

If it backfires, yeah, he'll look like a complete dipsh*t.

If it's something else, like he got paid and is now just trying to get more, then I wouldn't mind seeing him fail.

The school should have charged him for his tuition since he had not fulfilled his academic commitments.
How so? He's probably attending classes to maintain his eligibility. If you're talking about his athletic scholarship, absolutely. You stop playing you stop getting athletic scholly $. But the redshirt is probably his way around that.

Reactions: pink shizzle
How so? He's probably attending classes to maintain his eligibility. If you're talking about his athletic scholarship, absolutely. You stop playing you stop getting athletic scholly $. But the redshirt is probably his way around that.
The athletic department pays his tuition. If he "redshirts" then its fine but I would hope they treat it like high school ineligibility where the kids need to complete the season fully. I hope they force him to make all team activities to have his fall semester paid for. But that is just me thinking that commitment and responsibility are important. Even if you get a raw deal

Why we will never agree comes down to this. We have a medical system that is pretty good at dealing with injuries, but the practice of preventative medicine is significantly based on profit as opposed to being practically functional.

Medical doctors get little if any nutritional education and the population learns from USDA which has a vested interest in commodities production which has little to do with real and nutritional food. 85%+- of the food in this world is produced locally and not by commercial farms which USDA is designed to prop up. Our school food programs and SNAP are commodites driven.

The athletic department pays his tuition. If he "redshirts" then its fine but I would hope they treat it like high school ineligibility where the kids need to complete the season fully. I hope they force him to make all team activities to have his fall semester paid for. But that is just me thinking that commitment and responsibility are important. Even if you get a raw deal
so commitment and responsibility only go one way?

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT