ADVERTISEMENT

Unpopular opinion

You can win a lot with Petras....in 1996. To win big games you need a QB who can MOVE. Doesn't have to put up Justin Fields rushing numbers every game but scrambling is a necessity in CFB quarterbacking now. Sean Clifford can even move when he wants to. Petras is a fine lad and sure he'll make a good QB coach in Southern Michigan but the type of QBs like him are diminishing in CFB, and should be. Bring on Lainez.
I still don't think you can put this on Petras, but I do think Iowa needs a guy who can escape effectively.

It's not about straight line speed or the ability to scramble for big gains, necessarily. But our QBs from Banks to Tate to Stanzi to Rudock to Beathard all had enough instincts and quick enough feet to evade a pass rush and keep a play alive. We need that. And I do get the frustration at the more Drew Bledsoe type guys we've have the last several years.

One more year!
One more year!
One more year!

those who wanted to break up petras until yesterday

378B.gif

Not sure what his plans are and if he wants to try to make an NFL practice squad to pull in some dollars or what. But he said he is moving on and about a TEN year career at Iowa. I like the kid and think he has had some great moments and drives like 2021 at ISU and at Nebby.
I would think Spencer would be a shoe-in here for a long and lucrative career based on what we've heard about how his practice skills over the past few years. Is the NFL able to sign players to a "PRACTICE SQUAD ONLY" contract, with the caveat of never having the option of being placed on the active roster? He would thrive in this scenario.

so Ohio State is not in the BIG 10?? when did this happen? does MD QB count in this? he seems ot be cut out of this mold you want. Penn St? stepped on it there pal...
What are you talking about? Ohio State was included amongst those teams if you actually read that. There are 14 teams in the Big Ten. Besides Stroud, doubtful there’s a NFL QB amongst them, even as a backup. If you think the QB play is good in this league I don’t know what to tell you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT