ADVERTISEMENT

Unshocking Study: Right Wing Policies Cost US Lives

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
From the study’s abstract:

The rise in working-age mortality rates in the United States in recent decades largely reflects stalled declines in cardiovascular disease (CVD) mortality alongside rising mortality from alcohol-induced causes, suicide, and drug poisoning; and it has been especially severe in some U.S. states.
Building on recent work, this study examined whether U.S. state policy contexts may be a central explanation. We modeled the associations between working-age mortality rates and state policies during 1999 to 2019.
We used annual data from the 1999–2019 National Vital Statistics System to calculate state-level age-adjusted mortality rates for deaths from all causes and from CVD, alcohol-induced causes, suicide, and drug poisoning among adults ages 25–64 years.
We merged that data with annual state-level data on eight policy domains, such as labor and taxes, where each domain was scored on a 0–1 conservative-to-liberal continuum. Results show that the policy domains were associated with working-age mortality
Especially strong associations were observed between certain domains and specific causes of death: between the gun safety domain and suicide mortality among men, between the labor domain and alcohol-induced mortality, and between both the economic tax and tobacco tax domains and CVD mortality.
Simulations indicate that changing all policy domains in all states to a fully liberal orientation might have saved 171,030 lives in 2019, while changing them to a fully conservative orientation might have cost 217,635 lives.

• Haha
Reactions: CoachJaxKnows
Lol. Full liberal isn’t going to fly where I’m from. Does this mean extra disability/housing/food benefits result in longer, unproductive lives?

And I mean this sincerely- I live in probably the most liberal county in this country. Local politicians have good intentions, yet always fail.

Simulations indicate that changing all policy domains in all states to a fully liberal orientation might have saved 171,030 lives in 2019, while changing them to a fully conservative orientation might have cost 217,635 lives.

I prefer to think of it as saving the planet.

I prefer to think of it as saving the planet.

I hate that I think this, but had COVID killed 95% of the Global population it wouldn't have been a bad thing

I hate that I think this, but had COVID killed 95% of the Global population it wouldn't have been a bad thing
Don't need to go that far. If it had killed off everyone who voted for Trump twice, we'd be a lot better off.

Preferably with comparable pruning of cons in other nations.

This is the problem with waiting for Mother Nature to take action. Her tools are blunt instruments like hurricanes, fires and pandemics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT