ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Moss

What did Pemsl show to earn more PT? He had a year to work on his game and came back with no right hand or mid-range game. The kid plays hard and is a gamer, but is undersized with 0 hops and below the rim game.

I have said since he announced, Cook is gone. Just my two-cents, but he wants to get paid and do not think he wants to play on another crappy team. He has not said anything resembling what Moss said. If he returns to college ball, I suspect he will transfer to a better team, sit out a year, and have a shot at making the tourney. He would get snatched up by an SEC or Big 12 team in a heartbeat.

Wanting to get paid and wanting to transfer and sit out would be oposite ideas.

I wonder too if Tyler sees his friend and HS teammate have a really good rookie year in the NBA and wants that. Maybe he just wants to get paid to play basketball and whether that is G league or Europe, just doesn't want to be in school anymore.
Maybe, but his teammate would have been a lottery pick right out of high school if he could have gone then, so there's that.....

I haven't seen anything to this point which suggests that Cook could be Jayson Tatum's caddy, much less a good comp for his potential value to NBA teams.

Maybe, but his teammate would have been a lottery pick right out of high school if he could have gone then, so there's that.....

Agree with both of you. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that Tyler sees it that way. I could see him thinking 'I played with dude. He was better than me, but not that much. I'm close and can get paid.' I don't agree with that, but can understand a 20 year old's logic coming to that conclusion.

G league pay is not very good, and some overseas leagues are good, but are an out of sight out of mind thing when an American player's goal is the NBA.

I haven't seen anything to this point which suggests that Cook could be Jayson Tatum's caddy, much less a good comp for his potential value to NBA teams.

I don't think anyone thinks that. But as an 18-19 year old you see a guy that was your peer, or your friend and they are successful, you may want a chance at that. Nobody has said they are the same or close to the same, but I just think that potentially could play a part in it.

Yeah, I am not saying they are equal players or anything like that. Most athletes think they are better than they are. Tyler may see his buddy being successful and think, I played with him since we were little and we were always the 2 best players on the team, why can't I go get paid?

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
If the guys aren't frustrated and pissed about this year, then I would wonder whether we want them back. They should be going into next year with something to prove.
They came in to this year with something to prove and yeaaaa.... Most with talking to them were pissed with experts picking them 7th or 8th in the big ten before the season started

Reactions: RocknRollface
For $21,500/year? His scholarship is worth 3 times that! He'll be across the pond.

Regardless for Iowa, I think we will be just fine. I'll miss his dunks. But we have plenty of talent inside.

I still think that there's a 70% chance that Tyler plays for the Hawkeyes, next season. There is a smaller chance that he gets drafted in NBA 2 rounds. But, I kind of doubt it. GO HAWKS

It's unfortunate coaches can't be honest with these young men about what they should do about turning pro. Fran could have informed both of these young men they weren't near ready for the NBA.

What?????? I would bet you big money that Fran has told them EXACTLY what they need to work on. Like most young men (hell like a lot of us old guys) they just need to hear it from the horses mouth. So, Fran knows that and encourages them to go through the process so that they can refocus and get back to work once that is done.

Yeah, I am not saying they are equal players or anything like that. Most athletes think they are better than they are. Tyler may see his buddy being successful and think, I played with him since we were little and we were always the 2 best players on the team, why can't I go get paid?
It is amazing that he played with Tatum and they are so different as players. Tatum is already one of the better all around players in the league.

The varying opinions on Cook are interesting. I am of the opinion he is gone and I think he gets drafted. If you look at the progress he made year 1 to 2 + his athleticism, he is the type of guy NBA teams will take a gamble on. He may never ascend out the the G League and land in Europe, but a guy with his ability to flush it will be a big time draw over there.

Those who criticize Cook talk about him having no mid-range game and being lazy defensively. His mid-range game showed marked improvement year 1 to 2 and came on the last 1/3 of the season. Nobody that makes the type of improvement he did can be accused of being lazy IMO. The entire team was bad defensively, so I am not sure why Cook stands out in this category. He had to give up easy baskets or be on the bench with 2 fouls 5 minutes into the game given the frequency at which our guards gave up dribble penetration.

It would be great if Moss, Pemsl, Baer, etc., showed 1/4 the improvement Cook showed. There is a big difference in motivation between kids playing their 4 years out and kids who want to play in the NBA. No surprise that Fran's best players have all had these aspirations (and thought they could play in the league): Marble, White, Jok, Uthoff, and Cook.

Reactions: hooper56
The varying opinions on Cook are interesting. I am of the opinion he is gone and I think he gets drafted. If you look at the progress he made year 1 to 2 + his athleticism, he is the type of guy NBA teams will take a gamble on. He may never ascend out the the G League and land in Europe, but a guy with his ability to flush it will be a big time draw over there.

Those who criticize Cook talk about him having no mid-range game and being lazy defensively. His mid-range game showed marked improvement year 1 to 2 and came on the last 1/3 of the season. Nobody that makes the type of improvement he did can be accused of being lazy IMO. The entire team was bad defensively, so I am not sure why Cook stands out in this category. He had to give up easy baskets or be on the bench with 2 fouls 5 minutes into the game given the frequency at which our guards gave up dribble penetration.

It would be great if Moss, Pemsl, Baer, etc., showed 1/4 the improvement Cook showed. There is a big difference in motivation between kids playing their 4 years out and kids who want to play in the NBA. No surprise that Fran's best players have all had these aspirations (and thought they could play in the league): Marble, White, Jok, Uthoff, and Cook.
Well there are about 20 freshman who have signed with agents that will probably be drafted first. That leaves what, 10 spots for the other declared underclassmen and seniors and foreigners and Cook.

My favorite excuse for Cook's defensive shortcomings, well everyone on the team was bad at defense. Well everyone else isn't trying to make waves about the NBA. Cook made some nice improvement this past year in a lot of areas, but transition defense, defensive rotation and defensive rebounding are all areas that he still needs work on. On offense the ball still gets stuck when he gets his hands on it. Best of luck to him but he will be a project at the next level.

Have you ever watched a G leauge game? Cooks athleticism wouldn't stand out one bit there.

Its not happening for him in the nba.

I suspect the NBA evaluators will tell him exactly why. I like Cook and, in my opinion, his best option, by far, is to return to Iowa and work to improve his game.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Most years only a couple players from big get drafted first round. Most are just “europe” good

I want to agree but he definitely seemed to have lost some of his craftiness from his first year. And his defense has never been very good. I like Cordell a lot but he just seemed very clunky this year.
He had no craftiness, no one had seen him before. His career peaked at Notre Dame. Anyone can watch tape of that game and see every move in his bag.
Sure he's a good kid but he would be better at UNI or Drake.

My favorite excuse for Cook's defensive shortcomings, well everyone on the team was bad at defense. Well everyone else isn't trying to make waves about the NBA. Cook made some nice improvement this past year in a lot of areas, but transition defense, defensive rotation and defensive rebounding are all areas that he still needs work on. On offense the ball still gets stuck when he gets his hands on it. Best of luck to him but he will be a project at the next level.

Yeah, nobody at the next level gives a sh!t if the rest of your team didn't play defense. Thats all the more opportunity to showcase your athleticism and IQ as a help defender.

Not guarding just to stay away from fouls may fly with Fran but its the oposite of the mentality the nba would be looking for from a potential role player.

Can anyone show me any mock draft that shows Cook getting chosen? I think there's a decent chance he decides to get paid and turns pro, but I sure hope someone is in his ear telling him to get a degree. He's a very good player that will be incredibly lucky to ever get a shot to play in the league.

10 years from now he'll be trying to make a living outside of basketball and have 30 years of limited options ahead of him. I'd rather see him at Nebraska than to have him waste a college education.

I'm hoping to see him back at Iowa as a much wiser young man, but kids don't always make good decisions.

What?????? I would bet you big money that Fran has told them EXACTLY what they need to work on. Like most young men (hell like a lot of us old guys) they just need to hear it from the horses mouth. So, Fran knows that and encourages them to go through the process so that they can refocus and get back to work once that is done.
Spot on!

Espn had an article on top 60 prospects for following year in the 2019 draft (inside article can’t link). To no surprise neither cook or moss are even on that list. Only name of note isu G wiggington in low 30s.

What did Pemsl show to earn more PT? He had a year to work on his game and came back with no right hand or mid-range game. The kid plays hard and is a gamer, but is undersized with 0 hops and below the rim game.

I have said since he announced, Cook is gone. Just my two-cents, but he wants to get paid and do not think he wants to play on another crappy team. He has not said anything resembling what Moss said. If he returns to college ball, I suspect he will transfer to a better team, sit out a year, and have a shot at making the tourney. He would get snatched up by an SEC or Big 12 team in a heartbeat.

Agree about Pemsl. I was shocked he received an Iowa offer out of high school. He's a gamer.... but that's it.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
It is amazing that he played with Tatum and they are so different as players. Tatum is already one of the better all around players in the league.
Not sure I understand your point here. Playing with someone doesn't make your a player at the same level. Cook is a solid BIG player, but his skill set would not set him apart at the next level.

I, like many others, have been going back and forth on whether or not Cook will return to the Hawkeyes. I'm currently leaning that he tries to get in the G league and does not come back. He isn't going to get drafted, so I think that option is out. He doesn't want to go to Europe so that leaves G league or returning to Iowa. I hope he comes back but Fran has plenty of time to plan either way.

Reactions: ammer11
I, like many others, have been going back and forth on whether or not Cook will return to the Hawkeyes. I'm currently leaning that he tries to get in the G league and does not come back. He isn't going to get drafted, so I think that option is out. He doesn't want to go to Europe so that leaves G league or returning to Iowa. I hope he comes back but Fran has plenty of time to plan either way.
I would say I don't think he wants to come back. If the G League is his best option he must really hate going to school. The best thing he could do is get his degree and have a backup plan. He could make some money playing at the low level but how long will that last? Maybe he can make some connections along the way that can get him a job after he is done.

I would say I don't think he wants to come back. If the G League is his best option he must really hate going to school. The best thing he could do is get his degree and have a backup plan. He could make some money playing at the low level but how long will that last? Maybe he can make some connections along the way that can get him a job after he is done.

That’s very, very caveman’ish thinking. Cook has aspirations to play at the next level and that becomes more difficult the longer any player waits. The NBA is all about potential and Cook playing in the G league allows him at still a youthful age to focus 100% on basketball and get full exposure against excellent competition.

The whole get the degree thing now is bogus. He’s completed 1.5 to 2 years already and can go back later at anytime to complete what remains. He can even do some of it online. It’s not that big of a deal to do so and many have done so. What Cook cannot get back is the window of time to make his NBA dream. It may not work out for him but I get where he is coming from and it’s smart on his part to consider it.

That’s very, very caveman’ish thinking. Cook has aspirations to play at the next level and that becomes more difficult the longer any player waits. The NBA is all about potential and Cook playing in the G league allows him at still a youthful age to focus 100% on basketball and get full exposure against excellent competition.

The whole get the degree thing now is bogus. He’s completed 1.5 to 2 years already and can go back later at anytime to complete what remains. He can even do some of it online. It’s not that big of a deal to do so and many have done so. What Cook cannot get back is the window of time to make his NBA dream. It may not work out for him but I get where he is coming from and it’s smart on his part to consider it.

Leaving or not at this point won't make any difference to the nba. The potential thing is already past its window. They don't draft 20 year olds on potential unless they are 7fters. Thats why hes not even invited to the combine.

At this point its obvious he has to get better at allot of things before getting a shot. The nba has their pick of hundreds of athletic 6'9 guys. You have to be really good at all the stuff that compliments the stars. Defense, rebounding, ball security, spot up shooting, as well as finishing at the rim which he is already good at.

That can happen anywhere, its mostly up to his grasping the reality of what needs to improve and his willingness to make it happen.

Now you can make the argument that he would have more time and more resources in the G league but its not a smart financial decision because the odds of making the nba at this point are very low.

Yes you can go back and get a degree but leave now and hes likely going to have to be working full time at something for the next 40 years at least so that makes it more difficult.

I honestly don't care that much but anyone who advises him its in his best interest to leave doesn't really understand what they are talking about or doesn't' actually have his best interest in mind.

Last edited:
Not according to numerous statistics! The chances of Tyler Cook gaining a college degree drops significantly the earlier he leaves. That is fact.

It is such a huge concern, that the NCAA and college ADs are going to make grades and college standing a main focus with the new transfer rule to be implemented this year (possibly before the start of the fall semester).

Gary Barta is on the committee for the new transfer rule. The graduation rate for players that transfer is incredibly low. I can't remember the exact number, but I want to say it is in the 20 percentile range.

Under the new rules, You will NOT be able to transfer (without sitting out a year) unless you have a very good GPA and you are in good standing for the year you are in college. You have to have enough credits.

That said, OVER 60% of NBA players are broke. AS IN negative money. Within 5 years of retiring. WOW. That is horrible...
An overwhelming majority of those former players do not have a degree.... Note, the NBA has a far higher percentage of college graduates than the general population.

That said, if TC were my kid, he'd be hitting the books for at least another year. No question. He won't reach his physical peak for another 5-7 years. The kid has time for the pros in the future.

It's unfortunate coaches can't be honest with these young men about what they should do about turning pro. Fran could have informed both of these young men they weren't near ready for the NBA.

Let me get this straight. You believe Fran told these two he thought they were NBA ready?

Reactions: mtown66
Cook will have to pay to get his degree (if he so desires), if he leaves early. Which will not be easy having made g-league money.

Reactions: ThBou345
Im not positive but I think you can come back and take classes for free, could be wrong.

Can't imagine how that'd work. You're on scholarship as long as you're a student in good standing and are on the team. Coaches usually honor a scholarship if a kid becomes physically unable to play but continues his education. Leaving the team and school is a different story. Who pays? Is this a courtesy of the University...and would it conflict with NCAA rules?

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT