ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: USA awarded 2031 Rugby World Cup and 2033 Women's Rugby World Cup

Would you go?

• Yes

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters
I really like rugby, but not sure how far I’d travel or how much I’d pay.

When my first son was born I watched a lot of rugby at 3am holding him.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I really like rugby, but not sure how far I’d travel or how much I’d pay.

When my first son was born I watched a lot of rugby at 3am holding him.
The last one in Japan? Or the most recent one in New Zealand? I did the same with my first born during soccer’s World Cup there in 2002.

I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but if it came to the Twin Cities I would take one in if it wasn't too much hassle. I have a lot of co-workers in Ireland that live and breathe Rugby so they would expect me to go.

I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but if it came to the Twin Cities I would take one in if it wasn't too much hassle. I have a lot of co-workers in Ireland that live and breathe Rugby so they would expect me to go.
Do you happen to work for UHC?

Lot of time between now and then but as of today the event would have to fall in my lap. Now the real World Cup we're hosting with Canada and Mexico, I will absolutely get to what I can for those. I imagine USMNT tix will be hard to come by for that but I'll make the effort.

Rugby is fun to watch. A few friends and I went to Chicago to see NZ All Blacks play USA 5ish? years ago.
The triple-header with the women, and Italy-Ireland, before USA-NZ at night with about 40k? I was at that one. There was a day game with just the two a few years before that, that sold out.

Do we have any pics of the fans that might attend the events that would perhaps entice someone to go to check out the crowd talent?

One of the best parts about international rugby. And they’re there to party...

170221191049-gettyimages-96787239-super-169.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

JS56921888.jpg

20508568-7641951-image-a-111_1572690634238.jpg

vancouver-canada-8th-march-2020-team-fiji-fans-cheer-on-the-fijian-team-as-they-take-to-the-field-against-fiji-in-match-30-cup-quarter-finals-2-2BC2908.jpg

stock-photo-marseille-france-october-english-rugby-fan-girl-wearing-a-bikini-with-national-colors-199097396.jpg

How was the talent at the Sevens World Cup, @pink shizzle?

Last edited:
BUMP: ItsHappening.gif

The IRB reveals the US is now the only bid nation they are working with for the 2031 tournament, and that they will likely host the 2033 Women's Rugby World Cup as well...

Do you think they'll be using napkins by 2031 or is this whole mouth vacuum thing gonna catch on?

Rugby is something I could get into if I saw more of it. Doesn't seem to get that much coverage but maybe I don't know where to look??
Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 shows America's Major League Rugby, which has had a few international stars join in recent years. CNBC is the main go-to for overseas rugby. On weekends they show English Premiership and the Heineken European Cup (Champions League of rugby) and the international teams' Six Nations tournament games in February-March (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, France, and Italy with the game on St. Patrick's Day weekend for Ireland on the big NBC the past couple years). This weekend its the college 7s championship on CNBC. Unfortunately, USA Rugby has an exclusive deal with FLO Sports, so their matches have been behind a paywall. However, the Rugby Network app (on Roku, among others) has lots of games here and abroad. The college 15s title was just on there.

Last edited:
I have seen a rugby match or two, it kept my interest. Honestly I have never heard of a rugby World Cup. If the match was at Kinnick, sure I would go, not sure I would drive any further than that.

If it was at a stadium near me and tickets were affordable I'd probably go to one game just to experience it. But that seems a strange sport for us to be trying to host a world cup for. Americans know even less about that sport than we do soccer.

Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 shows America's Major League Rugby, which has had a few international stars join in recent years. CNBC is the main go-to for overseas rugby. On weekends they show English Premiership and the Heineken European Cup (Champions League of rugby) and the international teams' Six Nations tournament games in February-March (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, France, and Italy with the game on St. Patrick's Day weekend for Ireland on the big NBC the past couple years). This weekend its the college 7s championship on CNBC. Unfortunately, USA Rugby has an exclusive deal with FLO Sports, so their matches have been behind a paywall. However, the Rugby Network app (on Roku, among others) has lots of games here and abroad. The college 15s title was just on there.
Didn’t want to start a new thread, but you might be interested in this, @pink shizzle: ‘Clones are in the quarterfinals and might end up on NBC tomorrow if they beat UC-Santa Cruz. Guessing you perhaps have played the ol’ Banana Slugs down there in SoCal during your college days?

Reactions: pink shizzle
Didn’t want to start a new thread, but you might be interested in this, @pink shizzle: ‘Clones are in the quarterfinals and might end up on NBC tomorrow if they beat UC-Santa Cruz. Guessing you perhaps have played the ol’ Banana Slugs down there in SoCal during your college days?
My Alma mater, Long Beach State made it to nationals in this year, their first with a 7s program (we played 15s in fall and spring and 7s in the summer but 7s was unattached from the school).

Surprisingly enough I never played Santa Cruz. We played the teams from SoCal- USC, UCLA, San Diego State, UC Irvine, etc and surrounding places like Oregon, Arizona, Oklahoma, UNLV but never the ol Banana Slugs. I saw Long Beach won their first game but lost 12-10 to SC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT