ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Wisconsin DID NOT HAVE TO SHUT DOWN! THEY STILL HAVE NOT HIT RED/RED FOR Covid + Rates Yet they Decide to Still Shut Down a Min of 7 Days

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
NOV 3 UPDATE:

OCT 28 UPDATE:

Wisconsin DID NOT HAVE TO SHUT DOWN!!! They had not yet hit the red/red threshold.

Red/Red: Team must stop regular practice and competition for a minimum of seven days and reassess metrics until improved.

Team positivity rate (number of positive tests divided by total number of tests administered):

• Green 0-2%
  • Orange 2-5%
  • Red >5%

Population positivity rate (number of positive individuals divided by total population at risk):

• Green 0-3.5%
  • Orange 3.5-7.5%
  • Red >7.5%

ORIGINAL POST:

Source: Badgers' game at Nebraska in jeopardy. UW coronavirus positivity rate close to level forcing a shutdown.
Jeff Potrykus
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Oct 27, 2020

MADISON – Wisconsin’s Big Ten game Saturday at Nebraska is in danger of being canceled, according to a source with knowledge of the Big Ten schedule.

The Journal Sentinel has reported that quarterbacks Graham Mertz and Chase Wolf have tested positive for coronavirus.

But according to a second source, UW’s test positivity rate is close to the threshold that would force the team to stop regular practice and competition for a minimum of seven days and then reassess the situation.

If the game is not played, it would be considered a no-contest rather than a forfeit.

The revised Big Ten schedule calls for each team to play eight regular-season games in an eight-week span, ending Dec. 12. The league title game and other cross-over games are set to be played Dec. 19, one day before the College Football Playoff field is to be revealed.

That leaves no room for games to be postponed and rescheduled.

Following are the Big Ten protocols that determine whether practices and games can be held.

Team positivity rate (number of positive tests divided by total number of tests administered):

• Green 0-2%
  • Orange 2-5%
  • Red >5%
Population positivity rate (number of positive individuals divided by total population at risk):

• Green 0-3.5%
  • Orange 3.5-7.5%
  • Red >7.5%
Decisions to alter or halt practice and competition will be based on the following scenarios:

Green/Green and Green/Orange: Team continues with normal practice and competition.

Orange/Orange and Orange/Red: Team must proceed with caution and enhance COVID-19 prevention (alter practice and meeting schedule, consider viability of continuing with scheduled competition).

Red/Red: Team must stop regular practice and competition for a minimum of seven days and reassess metrics until improved.

According to The Associated Press, 35 games involving FBS teams have been canceled or postponed since Aug. 26.

The news of another potential cancellation comes on a day COVID-19 numbers continued to surge in Wisconsin.

According to the state Department of Health Services: A total of 5,262 new cases and 64 deaths were reported Tuesday, both records far above any previous daily counts.

The previous daily case record was 4,600, one week ago. The state's death toll rose to 1,852.

Seven Big Ten games were played on the opening weekend and UW opened with a 45-7 victory over visiting Illinois.

Sources subsequently told the Journal Sentinel that redshirt freshman quarterback Graham Mertz, who passed for 248 yards and five touchdowns in his first start, tested positive for the coronavirus on Saturday.

That was followed, according to sources, by a positive test for backup quarterback Chase Wolf. UW coach Paul Chryst declined to comment on any test results on Monday but said he believed the Nebraska game would be played.

“I feel confident in everything that is happening right now,” he said at the time. “We’re going with that. I feel confident going forward this week.”

Officials from both schools remained confident through Tuesday morning but additional positive cases changed the outlook.

Last edited:
Wisconsin, you had one job.

Wisconsin Pauses All Team-Related Activities for at least 7 days & Cancels Football Game vs. Nebraska After Outbreak of COVID-19 Cases

• Mark Schlabach
  • ESPN Senior Writer
  • Oct 28, 2020; 10:34 AM CT
Wisconsin's football team has paused all team-related activities for at least seven days because of an increased number of COVID-19 cases, causing the No. 9 Badgers' game against Nebraska on Saturday to be canceled.

The game will not be rescheduled.

As of Wednesday morning, 12 people within the program had tested positive for the coronavirus in the past five days. That total includes six student-athletes and six staff members, including head coach Paul Chryst.

"This morning I received the news that I had tested positive via a PCR test I took yesterday," Chryst said in a statement released by the university on Wednesday. "I informed my staff and the team this morning and am currently isolating at home. I had not been experiencing any symptoms and feel good as of this morning.

"I am disappointed for our players and coaching staff who put so much into preparing to play each week. But the safety of everyone in our program has to be our top priority and I support the decision made to pause our team activities."

The university said the decision to pause team activities was made jointly by athletic director Barry Alvarez and chancellor Rebecca Blank.

"We have said from the beginning that the health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches and staff members comes first," Alvarez said in a statement. "Over the past several days, we have seen a rising number of student-athletes and staff contract the virus. The responsible thing for us to do is to pause football-related activities for at least seven days."

Earlier this week, sources told ESPN that Badgers quarterback Graham Mertz had his COVID-19 positive test confirmed and would be out a minimum of 21 days.

Mertz, who starred in Wisconsin's season-opening win over Illinois on Friday, had an antigen test come back positive for the coronavirus over the weekend. He had a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test that confirmed the result Monday.

Big Ten policy requires any player who tests positive for COVID-19 to miss at least 21 days and undergo cardiac screening before being cleared to return.

Third-string quarterback Chase Wolf also tested positive, according to sources, confirming a report by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. If Wolf's positive test was confirmed, he also would miss a minimum of 21 days before returning to action.

An Illinois spokesperson said he's not aware of any positive tests for the Illini as of Wednesday morning

Wisconsin's next scheduled game is at home against Purdue on Nov. 7.

The Big Ten requires teams to play at least six games to qualify for the division championship, unless the average number of games by all league teams drops below six. In that case, teams must play no less than two fewer games than the average number by all teams to be considered for the division championship.

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg contributed to this report.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous. The players who are positive should go home for 7 days. The rest of the team should move on and play.
i agree. there are only 6 players testing positive. Isolate them and move forward.

The point of the rapid tests:
* Those who test positive are removed from the team to PROTECT the rest of the team
* Contract tracing no longer needed
* As long as a player tests negative each day, they are good to go

NOTE that 0 Illinois players have tested positive to date. Illinois played Wisconsin on Friday, of course.

i agree. there are only 6 players testing positive. Isolate them and move forward.

The point of the rapid tests:
* Those who test positive are removed from the team to PROTECT the rest of the team
* Contract tracing no longer needed
* As long as a player tests negative each day, they are good to go

NOTE that 0 Illinois players have tested positive to date. Illinois played Wisconsin on Friday, of course.
That is a big old Amen to both of you. Very dumb rules. What a heart break to that program.

The most disappointing part of it all is that Kevin Warren will always receive pats on the back for “potentially saving players lives” with the insane amount of caution and hesitation that went into the postponement of the season.

It will never be “look at all the lost revenue and sport cancellations you caused that ruined a bunch of kids lives” and will always be “look at how many lives you potentially saved by shutting everything down”, even when data continues to suggest that almost nobody would actually die, or even experience severe symptoms when they contract it. It would also be simple to just send the positive players home until they’re negative again, but for the big ten, it’s much more important to cover their own asses by cancelling everything, just in case.

I know there will be hell to pay someday for the actions of the many school presidents and board members who made these decisions, but it’s so sad that there’s absolutely nothing we can do right now. Just hope and pray that we get to see as many big ten games as possible this year.

Wisconsin DID NOT HAVE TO SHUT DOWN!!! They had not yet hit the red/red threshold.

• Green 0-2%
  • Orange 2-5%
  • Red >5%

• Green 0-3.5%
  • Orange 3.5-7.5%
  • Red >7.5%

....................................................................................................................

@EvilMonkeyInTheCloset , your thoughts on these recent developments & on Wisconsin in general? ;)

Last edited:
If the school is not required to pause football activities but still chooses to do so, the missed game should be a forfeit. Very good chance they hit red/red before Saturday anyway, but they shouldn't get to make that call on their own without consequences. Some might see it as keeping their team safe but right now I see it as dodging a Debbie loss with a 4th string QB.

Is it one more game cancelled for either team to not be eligible for Big ten title, or two more?

UPDATE:

• Green 0-2%
  • Orange 2-5%
  • Red >5%

• Green 0-3.5%
  • Orange 3.5-7.5%
  • Red >7.5%

ORIGINAL POST:

Source: Badgers' game at Nebraska in jeopardy. UW coronavirus positivity rate close to level forcing a shutdown.
Jeff Potrykus
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Oct 27, 2020

MADISON – Wisconsin’s Big Ten game Saturday at Nebraska is in danger of being canceled, according to a source with knowledge of the Big Ten schedule.

The Journal Sentinel has reported that quarterbacks Graham Mertz and Chase Wolf have tested positive for coronavirus.

But according to a second source, UW’s test positivity rate is close to the threshold that would force the team to stop regular practice and competition for a minimum of seven days and then reassess the situation.

If the game is not played, it would be considered a no-contest rather than a forfeit.

The revised Big Ten schedule calls for each team to play eight regular-season games in an eight-week span, ending Dec. 12. The league title game and other cross-over games are set to be played Dec. 19, one day before the College Football Playoff field is to be revealed.

That leaves no room for games to be postponed and rescheduled.

Following are the Big Ten protocols that determine whether practices and games can be held.

• Green 0-2%
  • Orange 2-5%
  • Red >5%

• Green 0-3.5%
  • Orange 3.5-7.5%
  • Red >7.5%
Decisions to alter or halt practice and competition will be based on the following scenarios:

Green/Green and Green/Orange: Team continues with normal practice and competition.

Orange/Orange and Orange/Red: Team must proceed with caution and enhance COVID-19 prevention (alter practice and meeting schedule, consider viability of continuing with scheduled competition).

According to The Associated Press, 35 games involving FBS teams have been canceled or postponed since Aug. 26.

The news of another potential cancellation comes on a day COVID-19 numbers continued to surge in Wisconsin.

According to the state Department of Health Services: A total of 5,262 new cases and 64 deaths were reported Tuesday, both records far above any previous daily counts.

The previous daily case record was 4,600, one week ago. The state's death toll rose to 1,852.

Seven Big Ten games were played on the opening weekend and UW opened with a 45-7 victory over visiting Illinois.

Sources subsequently told the Journal Sentinel that redshirt freshman quarterback Graham Mertz, who passed for 248 yards and five touchdowns in his first start, tested positive for the coronavirus on Saturday.

That was followed, according to sources, by a positive test for backup quarterback Chase Wolf. UW coach Paul Chryst declined to comment on any test results on Monday but said he believed the Nebraska game would be played.

“I feel confident in everything that is happening right now,” he said at the time. “We’re going with that. I feel confident going forward this week.”

Officials from both schools remained confident through Tuesday morning but additional positive cases changed the outlook.

oh boy the can of worms has opened what a bunch of wussies

If they aren’t red by Friday, then travel to Lincoln and play the game Saturday. If you don’t, it’s an L. No team should get to choose if they will shut down or not when they haven’t gotten to the threshold to do so.

Again, commish Warren not doing his job and enforcing the rules. This guy is a putz.

Lol you guys are insane. Wisconsin should forfeit because they're taking their players' safety seriously? When Wisconsin is the hotbed of COVID? This is the responsible thing to do and is not political or Warren's fault.

No, Wisconisn should forfeit for refusing to play a scheduled game while remaining under the threshold required for a cancellation.

Do you even know what "forfeit" means?

Anyone that can't see this is political BS is a fing idiot.
We have an insurance policy, actually they had several .This was the big one ,one week after impeachment. Lol
Surprise it's spiking three weeks before the election. LMAO.
How gullible are the people?
Scary.

I'l let my co-worker who lost both her parents to covid and didn't even get to say good bye to them know not to worry. Her parents will come back to life right after the election right?

Reactions: radicalhawk
Lol you guys are insane. Wisconsin should forfeit because they're taking their players' safety seriously? When Wisconsin is the hotbed of COVID? This is the responsible thing to do and is not political or Warren's fault.
If the rumor that Mertz was positive prior to the Illinois game turns out to be true, this will be the most ironic post of all time

Reactions: Stranded Hawk
I'll clarify that I do care about player safety. I do not blame Wisconsin for pausing activities. But if a team opts out of participation short of the already rigid BIG protocol, the opposing team should not be docked that game. I hate Debbie, but they shouldn't have to seek a new opponent during game week just to avoid losing championship eligibility to no fault of their own. However slim their chances are.

It's definitely a chaotic season. Regardless of how any fan feels about covid, football is happening and it should be done as fairly as possible.

Reactions: doughuddl2
Sounds like they might not have had a QB left and I am guessing they fear the spread is going to be wider with a few more days of testing.

So they have 5 QBs on the roster? What were they? Walk ons? I think the Big 12 did it right when they set criteria if a certain number of a position group were down, the game would be canceled.

And

Vanden Boom was going to start.

Reactions: David1979
So if Wisconsin did not have to shut down, did Alvarez go ahead and pull the plug for this week since the team would have been without its top 3 QBS and Head Coach? Keeps the record undefeated and still eligible for playoffs...

This is my thought.

If the school is not required to pause football activities but still chooses to do so, the missed game should be a forfeit. Very good chance they hit red/red before Saturday anyway, but they shouldn't get to make that call on their own without consequences. Some might see it as keeping their team safe but right now I see it as dodging a Debbie loss with a 4th string QB.
i agree. Protocols & rules were in place and Wisconsin seems to have broken them and made up their own rules.

Remember: they only have to play 6 games to be eligible for the B1G West Championship. This way, they regroup, avoid a road game, and remain undefeated.

If Iowa is sitting at 5-2 going into the final week to play Wisconsin and they’re sitting at 4-1, Iowa should tell Wisconsin to **** off, we are taking the extra week to prepare for Ohio State.

Why not? If Wisconsin can just bail on a game cause they dont want to lose, everyone else should do the same to them.

If Iowa is sitting at 5-2 going into the final week to play Wisconsin and they’re sitting at 4-1, Iowa should tell Wisconsin to **** off, we are taking the extra week to prepare for Ohio State.

Why not? If Wisconsin can just bail on a game cause they dont want to lose, everyone else should do the same to them.
That assumes Purdue is already at three losses and we lost to psu.
If so sounds like a plan to me :D

i agree. Protocols & rules were in place and Wisconsin seems to have broken them and made up their own rules.

Remember: they only have to play 6 games to be eligible for the B1G West Championship. This way, they regroup, avoid a road game, and remain undefeated.

They appeared to duck a potential loss based on QB situation and from what I've seen BIG has blocked a game for Nebraska. If Nebraska is truly eligible for this Saturday based on test results, blocking them from potential championship eligibility is wrong. It pains me to back Debbie, but it doesn't seem like a situation that warrants penalty on their part.

I see it as Debbie dodging getting infected by Wisconsin and missing games.

Let them schedule another opponent.

If they are below the threshold and cancelled they need to take the loss and nebraska should be credited the win.

Injuries happen and this is no different. The thresholds were put in place to keep from spreading covid not to protect a team from a loss if their starting qb can't play

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT