ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on Tyler Cook (Signs 2 way contract w/ Denver), Peter Jok, Aaron White & Jarrod Uthoff

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Aug 13 Update:

Denver Nuggets sign Tyler Cook and P.J. Dozier

DENVER, Aug. 13, 2019 – The Denver Nuggets have signed rookie free agent forward Tyler Cook to a two-way contract and free agent guard P.J. Dozier to a training camp contract, President of Basketball Operations Tim Connelly announced today.

Cook, 6-9, 255, most recently appeared in three games for the Nuggets’ Las Vegas Summer League team, averaging 4.0 points, 2.3 rebounds, 1.0 assists and 1.00 steals in 11.3 minutes per game. Cook went undrafted in the 2019 NBA Draft out of the University of Iowa where he played three seasons, averaging 14.1 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 93 total games (92 starts).

Dozier, 6-6, 205, spent last season on a two-way contract with the Boston Celtics, where he appeared in six games for the Celtics and averaged 3.2 points and 2.3 rebounds in 6.8 minutes. He appeared in 46 games (all starts) for the Maine Red Claws of the G League where he posted 21.0 points, 6.6 rebounds, 6.5 assists and 1.28 steals in 32.0 minutes per game. In 2017-18, he signed a two-way contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder where he played in two games for the Thunder and 43 games for the Oklahoma City Blue of the G League. Dozier originally went undrafted in the 2017 NBA Draft after spending two years at the University of South Carolina where he averaged 10.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.34 steals in 70 total games (63 starts).

Cook will wear #34 and Dozier will wear #35 for the Nuggets.

ORIGINAL POST:

Tyler Cook will try out for the Denver Nuggets this summer.

Jok will play for the Orlando Magic this summer.

Aaron White to play for the Washington Wizards next season?

Link to the White Story: https://sportando.basketball/en/wiz...in-bringing-over-draft-and-stash-aaron-white/

Also, Uthoff will be at the Detroit Pistons summer camp (originally was going to be at the Minnesota Timberwolves mini-camp). Good luck to him!

The related tweet:

Last edited:
Maybe not a terrible idea. The Wizards are going to be awful next year with Wall out, and I could see them trying to trade Beal as well. Why not try to find out if they’ve got a contributor playing overseas?

Last edited:
He might get an opportunity while the organization is tanking for a better draft pick. Sometimes those opportunities pay off if he can show well enough.

Reactions: buudhawk
Unless you are a top top top tier talent, it's all about timing, fit, and opportunity. If Aaron can shoot that corner three well enough, I would think he has a chance of sticking.

I only have watched highlights, but if emotion and body language are any indication, he appears to be enjoying his overseas experience.

I think this is more of a try out and not a guaranteed roster spot. Likely playing him in the summer league a preseason spot.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
I think this is more of a try out and not a guaranteed roster spot. Likely playing him in the summer league a preseason spot.

White isn’t turning down good money overseas to come try out in the summer league and preseason camp. Like previous years, he will ask for a guaranteed roster spot, at least that is my suspicion. He spent a few days with the wizards last summer is memory serves but didn’t get a guarantee and returned to zalgiris.

Good luck to Aaron either way

Reactions: mtdew_fever
White isn’t turning down good money overseas to come try out in the summer league and preseason camp. Like previous years, he will ask for a guaranteed roster spot, at least that is my suspicion. He spent a few days with the wizards last summer is memory serves but didn’t get a guarantee and returned to zalgiris.

Good luck to Aaron either way

So he won't play in the NBA Summer League but will play in TBT? That doesn't make a lot of sense if he is trying to make it into the NBA.

Reactions: LL3667 and unIowa
So he won't play in the NBA Summer League but will play in TBT? That doesn't make a lot of sense if he is trying to make it into the NBA.

If you have info to suggest otherwise, by all means enlighten us all. What I said is what I suspect, not what I know. It was my understanding he had in years past turned down offers to play in the summer league and attend preseason nba camp to potentially earn a NBA roster spot as foreign clubs ink their players in advance of nba fall camps and he wanted a guaranteed roster spot to bypass good European offers on the table.

Reactions: Quadhawk
I really thought Uthoff was going to stick with the Mavs. He was kind of a poor mans Dirk, but did a lot of things well. Still disappointed about that from a couple years ago. I hope he gets a real shot with Wolves. His shooting and length make him valuable. Good 10 min off the bench role player.

White still seems too one dimensional for the NBA. Just not seeing it, but would love to be wrong.

Marble needs more strength and a better shooting percentage, he could sneak onto a roster as an end of the bench guy.

White's put himself in a spot such that he doesn't need the NBA. Not that he wouldn't take a roster spot, but it seems unlikely he'd give up the good money he can make in Europe for a long shot.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I really thought Uthoff was going to stick with the Mavs. He was kind of a poor mans Dirk, but did a lot of things well. Still disappointed about that from a couple years ago. I hope he gets a real shot with Wolves. His shooting and length make him valuable. Good 10 min off the bench role player.

White still seems too one dimensional for the NBA. Just not seeing it, but would love to be wrong.

Marble needs more strength and a better shooting percentage, he could sneak onto a roster as an end of the bench guy.
If his his length and shot were valuable and if he was a good 10 min guy off the bench he would be playing in the nba. What dumb statements.

Reactions: LewisLongdangler
You better make a report, board troll police.

giphy.gif

If JU can standout in the summer league, the other thing he has going for him with the Wolves is that they have very little cap room and will need to fill out the roster with league minimum guys, not journeymen vets.

If his his length and shot were valuable and if he was a good 10 min guy off the bench he would be playing in the nba. What dumb statements.

Thanks Einstein. So no players ever improve in Europe or GLeague then play in the NBA? Obviously he has not done much in the NBA as of yet, thanks for the news flash there. Let me paint by numbers for you...I was only stating what his strengths were and that there could be a scenario where he could come off the bench in a ten minute per game type role. Its called a projection. The guy still has potential.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I don’t really understand JU’s lack of success in the NBA. I would have to imagine it involves his on-ball defense because he is a great scorer with serious length and an underrated passer. He’s also a very good secondary defender.

I don’t really understand JU’s lack of success in the NBA. I would have to imagine it involves his on-ball defense because he is a great scorer with serious length and an underrated passer. He’s also a very good secondary defender.
If I had to guess it would be a toughness, lack of killer instinct type of issue. He certainly has the skills.

If I had to guess it would be a toughness, lack of killer instinct type of issue. He certainly has the skills.

I think it is an athleticism issue—lack of foot speed, explosion, and physicality.

He’s essentially a stretch 4 in the NBA. But these days there are a lot of athletic forwards who can shoot enough to space a defense but also bring greater athleticism and are more versatile on ball defenders.

Reactions: Ycusi and SDHawkDoc
I think it is an athleticism issue—lack of foot speed, explosion, and physicality.

He’s essentially a stretch 4 in the NBA. But these days there are a lot of athletic forwards who can shoot enough to space a defense but also bring greater athleticism and are more versatile on ball defenders.
I think there's a lot of merit to this line of argument.

If you use Cook as the high point at the 4 spot for Iowa in the past decade as to pure athleticism, I think it adds to the perspective. While Cook is at a high level for his position as to pure quickness, speed, vertical and power there are many players at or better than him and with better handles and shooting touch.

JU is no slouch, but for pure measureables in quickness/speed/power he is below Cook. And Cook wasn't even close to being drafted; he was in the 90s as rated by at least one pre draft review.

A player can be really good, all B1G good, and just not have what it takes to get one of those few NBA roster spots.

Reactions: And1Hawk
So how long is Tyler going to be out? Was hoping to watch him play tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT