ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer next Jaguars coach

Good on him...I will miss him on FOX. As some folks on here that have already attested...Urban Meyer always complimented Iowa and the entire program. I recall during the Wiscy game he mentioned a couple times how tough Iowa's defense was and has been under Ferentz/Parker. Including...and I paraphrase him..."I had to look twice at the stat that Iowa is the only defense to hold opponents to 25 pts or less for 21 games."

GO HAWKS!

Urban does great job at hiring assistants. He will do really well as he will surround himself with winners on his staff. He always does. That's the secret sauce.

On one of the Big shows he was on he talked about hiring asst coaches, Not exact quote but he basically said ” They all know X&O’s, He wanted to know can they recruit”.
NFL will be different for sure.

Dude never talked $h!T about iowa after eating a fifty burger.......id bet a pay check that game was his most humbling loss
You'd lose your paycheck. His most humbling loss was the following year (2018) to Purdue - 49-20,
He didn't lose that much but seemed to have a head-scratcher every so often

• Haha
Reactions: SWIowahawks
It’s amazing he can even show his face in public after only going 54-4 in the B1G and bringing the conference it’s only national title over the last 17 years. I’m surprised he isn’t ashamed to leave his basement as many of the brainiacs in this thread are correctly pointing out, what a humbling embarrassment!!!

Last edited:
Texas is stupid, this was the guy. With the insane talent level they would be in the playoffs regularly. Like him or not, Urban is the real deal.
At Texas, he would be scary.

His going to the NFL doesn't surprise me. His going to a third-class franchise does. He'd have a much better chance at rebuilding the Jets or one of the NFC East teams.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Texas is stupid, this was the guy. With the insane talent level they would be in the playoffs regularly. Like him or not, Urban is the real deal.

I agree with you except there is a culture in place at Texas that is going to take just the right individual to correct. I thought Charlie Strong might have been that guy but he didn't have enough coaching ability to compliment the discipline he tried to impose. The inmates have been running that asylum since the end of Brown's tenure.

Reactions: 24 so far
Meyer has always as much total control as possible in his college stops. In the NFL you have to share decision making with the owner and the GM. Will be interesting to see how he handles that aspect.

Don't disagree with Scheft's facts, but his opinions (more to offer, strong ownership, highly appealing) are highly debatable. Jacksonville is in the lower third of the NFL in franchise value and typical attendance, and quite possibly the worst overall record over the past 10-12 years. That hasn't happened on accident. The Bengals and Lions are quite possibly the only worse destinations for a head coach to succeed.

Don't disagree with Scheft's facts, but his opinions (more to offer, strong ownership, highly appealing) are highly debatable. Jacksonville is in the lower third of the NFL in franchise value and typical attendance, and quite possibly the worst overall record over the past 10-12 years. That hasn't happened on accident. The Bengals and Lions are quite possibly the only worse destinations for a head coach to succeed.

You honestly think franchise value and attendance have anything to do with anything?

KC has one of the lower franchise values in the NFL yet are the best team.

Attendance is meaningless, any winning NFL team will draw 80k fans 8 times a year easily.

Jacksonville has huge tax (and weather) advantages to draw players, and two of their divisional opponents every year (Texans, Titans) also have no state tax. Thats 62.5% (10 of 16 games at least) of their income with no state tax. That advantage offsets high tax teams majorly. CA and NY are 12% state tax for these income levels! It’s Insanity!!!!!

You seriously think the Jets are more attractive when this is factored in?
California and NYC players will only get to keep 38% of their earnings!!!!!!!

5f8ef5132391b34633dfcb1a

Last edited:
Reactions: FanOHawk
He turned down Texas. I really don't see him as a college coach again unless it's Notre Dame or a return to OSU - his two loves. And since Day nor Kelly seem to be going anywhere any time soon, he's probably done with CF.

You honestly think franchise value and attendance have anything to do with anything?

KC has one of the lower franchise values in the NFL yet are the best team.

Attendance is meaningless, any winning NFL team will draw 80k fans 8 times a year easily.

Jacksonville has huge tax (and weather) advantages to draw players, and two of their divisional opponents every year (Texans, Titans) also have no state tax. Thats 62.5% (10 of 16 games at least) of their income with no state tax. That advantage offsets high tax teams majorly. CA and NY are 12% state tax for these income levels! It’s Insanity!!!!!

You seriously think the Jets are more attractive when this is factored in?
California and NYC players will only get to keep 38% of their earnings!!!!!!!

5f8ef5132391b34633dfcb1a
Cool. So if they have all these advantages, why do they suck year in and year out? And why are they going on their 6th head coach in 10 years? Maybe they need to hire some CPA's.

Cool. So if they have all these advantages, why do they suck year in and year out? And why are they going on their 6th head coach in 10 years? Maybe they need to hire some CPA's.

Wow, great points, if only the Jaguars had the Franchise value and fan support of the Jets they’d be amazing every year!

The Jaguars have only had 5 head coaches in their entire history

The Jags have stunk for a long time because they have drafted poorly, and missed on every QB they have drafted, since Garrard. Leftwhich, Gabbert, Bortles, etc. then look at their other high round picks, no pro bowlers, barely even competent NFL talent. They draft way too many Gators way too high... In 2017 when the team was successful, they had no problems with tickets, infact they had to add seats for the playoff game they hosted.

The stadium was built big enough to have the Florida Georgia game, its too big but has to have that many seats, so it often looks bad on tv... factor in a sucky team for 20 years.. and it gets unbearably hot in the sun there, many of the prime seating fans go inside and watch the game on tv in the AC instead of butts in the seats sweating their nads off.

Reactions: jaxhawk06
Really a no lose situation. He turns them into a winner, and makes a sh!t ton of money. Or he fails and walks away with a sh!t ton of money. At his age, he doesn't have to be concerned about the next job. If he wasn't already set financially this takes care of it for him.

The Jaguars have only had 5 head coaches in their entire history
Jack Del Rio coached games in 2011. If you include Mel Tucker, they've had 4 other head coaches since then. Hence, they are going on their 6th head coach in 10 years.

Wow, great points, if only the Jaguars had the Franchise value and fan support of the Jets they’d be amazing every year!
You've convinced me. I think it's an AWESOME idea for one of the most sought-after football coaches in America to take the reins for an NFL team that is a third-class franchise in a horrible city with absolutely no winning tradition whatsoever, and has shown an amazing long-term lack of judging football talent, and takes it out on the head coach by firing him every 3-4 years, because the tax advantages are redonkulus.

Jack Del Rio coached games in 2011. If you include Mel Tucker, they've had 4 other head coaches since then. Hence, they are going on their 6th head coach in 10 years.

Sure, if you want to include an interim head coach. That's like saying "why would anyone want to coach the Atlanta Falcons? They'll be on their 3rd head coach in 6 months."

You've convinced me. I think it's an AWESOME idea for one of the most sought-after football coaches in America to take the reins for an NFL team that is a third-class franchise in a horrible city with absolutely no winning tradition whatsoever, and has shown an amazing long-term lack of judging football talent, and takes it out on the head coach by firing him every 3-4 years, because the tax advantages are redonkulus.

Maybe because the people evaluating talent are no longer with the team? I'm sure the guy that has last coached in Gainesville, FL and Columbus, OH thinks Jacksonville is too much of a s***hole

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Whether people want to believe it or not, right now Jacksonville is a very attractive destination. first overall pick, and I think 4 in the top 50... 100+ million to spend in cap space, a few decent pieces to build around including an edge rusher in Allen, a young and improving WR corps, James Robinson is a good 3 down back, Miles Jack is one of the best outside linebackers. CJ Henderson is a good young corner. The team needs a lot, that's why they're 1-15, but with the right coach, a few upgrades, and a change in culture... things can change very quickly in the NFL.

Reactions: ChiDoc

There’s a reason Meyer is seriously considering the Jags and not hilariously the Jets job whether you want to admit it or not. I’m sorry but it’s obvious to everyone that Franchise value, attendance and winning tradition aren’t considerations, sorry you can’t see that.

As far as shithole city, I would think Jacksonville would be solidly in the second tier over MANY other places for millionaires who can afford private beach homes. Imagine how terrible it would be to spend the winter here on this “SHITHOLE PRIVATE BEACH” when you could be wintering in Minneapolis, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, etc, etc instead!!! The horror!

item_0.jpg

Last edited:
This would be a huge mistake for Meyer. Great college coach but unlikely to be successful in the NFL. And it’s not about money either, since he would be given a blank check by any school that wanted to hire him.

Agree, he may never get another shot....Nick Saban’s 15-17 NFL record really set him back.

The last decade+ tells me Texas will need another coach if Meyer doesn’t succeed in Jacksonville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT