ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer on Two Iowa Offensive Plays

I just learned a lot about football in 4 minutes and have a newfound appreciation for sending a receiver in motion.
With no intended offense to you, the vast majority of the people on this board, including myself, have very little understanding of why most things are done. We may have played football, we may enjoy the game of football, we may even be fantasy experts, but to ever think we are on the same level as as D1 coach - no chance. That is why it is so amusing to read through message board comments.

That was great. Never truly understood the motion reasons. Still can’t say I fully understand it but will watch from a different perspective from now on.

Funny how I knew in NCAA Football 14 to send receivers in motion for that exact same reason - to identify man or zone coverage. So I'm a good as Meyer right?? Wait, no.... just no.

NCAA 05 or 06, if you did a tight I formation with single wr to the outside, doesnt matter which direction. But he had to be alone set out wide. Bring him in motion closer to the inside of the field. If the db came with him and lined him up as man a simple out slant was a touchdown every damn time.

Wow. Impressive analysis. Thought I new a little about the scheme. I knew NOTHING
Too bad for Urban he couldn't figure Iowa out when the Hawks gave him an Ass spanking a couple of years ago in Kinnick. Dude looked absolutely helpless on the sideline watching the Hawks score again and again! I wonder how many times he's rewatched that crime scene to see how the Bucknuts got molested like that.....:D

2018 Iowa Fan: OSU football should be shut down forever and Urban Meyer should be in jail for covering up an abuser.

2019 Iowa Fan: Hey check out Urban Meyer praising Iowa and breaking down a few plays. So Awesome!

lol wow.

Very good film breakdown. It's pretty simple if WR goes in motion db follows him it's man, if not their playing zone. Football hasn't changed that much over the years. The td catch by ISM was Spurrier's favorite play call. Love it!
I think Brian has been a huge upgrade at the OC position.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Wow. Impressive analysis. Thought I new a little about the scheme. I knew NOTHING
Too bad for Urban he couldn't figure Iowa out when the Hawks gave him an Ass spanking a couple of years ago in Kinnick. Dude looked absolutely helpless on the sideline watching the Hawks score again and again! I wonder how many times he's rewatched that crime scene to see how the Bucknuts got molested like that.....:D

I love when OSU loses, but I kinda wish Purdue hadn’t administered a similar ass spanking.

I'm sure Urban is fine. He has quite a bit of hardware.

Urban was a big hire by both Fox and the B1G Ten Network. Those two are growing what they offer the viewer while ESPN has been just relying on name recognition. ESPN doesn't even go after the best games in their bids for TV rights anymore.

Reactions: unclesammy
With no intended offense to you, the vast majority of the people on this board, including myself, have very little understanding of why most things are done. We may have played football, we may enjoy the game of football, we may even be fantasy experts, but to ever think we are on the same level as as D1 coach - no chance. That is why it is so amusing to read through message board comments.

Absolutely THIS! And that's why I want to puke every time I see a "fan" crying when we're in a tight game and something happened that didn't give them jollies. The coaches are idiots! I should be hired! What are they doing!

Not sure why the two have to be mutually exclusive. lol wow

Why should we care what someone less than scum thinks about our program?

To be fair though,
What kills me is how soon people forget shit and move on to other things to bitch about.
Had Urban praised Iowa one week after the scandal story broke last year, you think we would be excited to hear it?
Hell no.
But, it's been a year since the scandal. Might has well been a century. Nobody cares anymore. We've all moved on to other things to bitch about.

It's not an Iowa fan thing, it's an every fan thing.

Last edited:
That’s good stuff right there. We’ve seen a lot of open receivers the last few years, no actually hooking up with them is a different story.. there’s some room to improve there.

Last edited:
Why should we care what someone less than scum thinks about our program?

To be fair though,
What kills me is how soon people forget shit and move on to other things to bitch about.
Had Urban praised Iowa one week after the scandal story broke last year, you think we would be excited to hear it?
Hell no.
But, it's been a year since the scandal. Might has well been a century. Nobody cares anymore. We've all moved on to other things to bitch about.

It's not an Iowa fan thing, it's an every fan thing.

People may question his ethics and morals, they may even disagree with how he goes about business. I'm pretty sure people don't question his x's and o's knowledge. He knows more about football that wouldn't even occur to you to know.

It's not binary.

Reactions: ichawk24
Funny how I knew in NCAA Football 14 to send receivers in motion for that exact same reason - to identify man or zone coverage. So I'm a good as Meyer right?? Wait, no.... just no.

Lol, yep. Friends always hated me because I would motion in our games. Best way to tell coverage.

Reactions: Fan In Black
NCAA 05 or 06, if you did a tight I formation with single wr to the outside, doesnt matter which direction. But he had to be alone set out wide. Bring him in motion closer to the inside of the field. If the db came with him and lined him up as man a simple out slant was a touchdown every damn time.
LMFAOO at this bc TRUE!!

Reactions: SHAWKER
2018 Iowa Fan: OSU football should be shut down forever and Urban Meyer should be in jail for covering up an abuser.

2019 Iowa Fan: Hey check out Urban Meyer praising Iowa and breaking down a few plays. So Awesome!

lol wow.

If you're replying to me, I was never in the category of the 2018 Iowa fan as you outline it above. I just thought it was a pretty interesting video breakdown, and educational.

FWIW, from what I gather on the tOSU situation involving Urban Meyer, while possibly not completely innocent, he really got thrown under the bus by tOSU administration. It would be a bit of a stretch, although not as much of one as many probably think, that he had causable action in a tort.

I am far more idiot than savant, but the motion aspect is not new. I think that part is easy to understand if not previously known. However, the leverage portion is what is revolutionary. On the first play, it appears the coverage cannot be beaten in the pre-snap alignment. I'm still foggy as to how they knew the safety would come up on the short route. The second play...I didn't know how/why when it happened, but I knew it was brilliant... somehow.

KOK used to have a "signature" play it seemed each week as OC, and I felt the same way about each of those as this. Filthy good brainpower enacted.

I’m sure Urban is really hung up on one of the FOUR conference losses he had in SEVEN years of coaching. I’m sure he dwells on this over all his championships.

Meanwhile, you celebrate one victory when the Hawkeyes lost FIVE conference games in ONE season.

Of all the sports played football is the one most analogized to warfare, of course. Bombs, enemy territory, the flank, etc.

In keeping with such, the wide receiver in motion is actually on a recon mission. Kinda cool.

And here I thought all those coaches were just spending years and years climbing that ladder of knowledge to know as much as me................:cool:

I love these segments. It shows you not only how well Urban knows football, but his ability to translate that knowledge and make it understandable.

Absolutely THIS! And that's why I want to puke every time I see a "fan" crying when we're in a tight game and something happened that didn't give them jollies. The coaches are idiots! I should be hired! What are they doing!
Totally agree ....I dont pretend to know all of these finer details. I do realize that there is a lot more detail that the arm chair QB thinks there is. That why I always keep my mouth shut and let the coaches coach. Wayyyyy to many people believe they know it all and it makes me laugh for a minute ....then I get pissed at there dumbess!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT