ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer to step down afterRose Bowl

The doctors of Urban Meyer have cautioned him about
the stress of remaining as a football coach. His brain
cyst is a serious health problem and perhaps retirement
will help him.

I know nothing about Day. Will he at least be able to maintain the doucheiness level that the urb established?

Somebody like Lane Kiffin comes more to mind, although he falls well short in on field results.
Will be interesting on how this plays out. But the two names constantly brought up whenever a HC opened up were Matt Campbell and Ryan Day. Sure sounds like OSU did not want to lose him as they were giving him one raise after another and even gave him an extra bonus for those 3 games he won as HC while Urban was suspended

I think this was the plan all along, that 3 game suspension was a way to appease the "public outrage" and give the successor a redshirt type run.

That team loaded with talent has not been the same the last couple years. You don't lose by 29 and 31 points in successive seasons with that talent advantage. You can't tell me that his health didn't affect his ability to be the perfectionist detail oriented guy he was.

People will mock a program like Iowa for handing Ferentz extension after extension, but the man gets the most out of his talent and he runs a very clean program. The question is can Iowa ever catch enough magic in the bottle and have a perception changing season in which they finish off the year with a bang.

If you fire Ferentz or he retires next year, what is the list of coaches you can attract? Will they recruit better? Can they create a scheme unique enough to offset the talent if they cant?

Will be interesting on how this plays out. But the two names constantly brought up whenever a HC opened up were Matt Campbell and Ryan Day. Sure sounds like OSU did not want to lose him as they were giving him one raise after another and even gave him an extra bonus for those 3 games he won as HC while Urban was suspended

Sounded like Day was on the short list for Maryland so this is probably true. Almost same thing with OU and Lincoln Riley.

Urban did OK: 82-9, 3 Big 10 Titles.1 National Championship. We will probably never see anything like that in the Big 10 again. I believe the Hawks are 55-35 during the same period.
And this is relevant how exactly? Was Meyer coaching at Iowa or OSU? I forget I guess....:confused::rolleyes:

Sounded like Day was on the short list for Maryland so this is probably true. Almost same thing with OU and Lincoln Riley.
And take this for what it's worth, but "supposedly" he turned down the Mississippi State HC job last year along with NFL OC positions to remain at OSU. Definitely a star in the making BUT being promoted from OC to head coach at a power like OSU ??? Time will tell.

Hey cheating pays off. Not cheating doesn't.....

LOL....You guys never change and it's cute...Ohio State doesn't have to cheat to win or to get recruits to come and play at OSU and neither does Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, ND or any other elite program that has a winning history, so being an elite program that actually wins championships pays off. Being a program that accepts mediocrity doesn't....

I'm sad that Urban is retiring, but I'm also excited to see what Coach Day will do with the program and if he can convince Haskins to come back for one more year...then go ahead and pencil us into the BIG Championship Game next year as well. We will also continue to whip the Skunkweasels as long as khakis is their coach.

LOL....You guys never change and it's cute...Ohio State doesn't have to cheat to win or to get recruits to come and play at OSU and neither does Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, ND or any other elite program that has a winning history, so being an elite program that actually wins championships pays off. Being a program that accepts mediocrity doesn't....

I'm sad that Urban is retiring, but I'm also excited to see what Coach Day will do with the program and if he can convince Haskins to come back for one more year...then go ahead and pencil us into the BIG Championship Game next year as well. We will also continue to whip the Skunkweasels as long as khakis is their coach.
Lol most of those schools cheat.....especially Bama.

Yes you don't need to....but you do.

Two questions

1 Do the Kansas and NC basketball programs have to cheat?

2 Do the Kansas and NC basketball programs cheat?

Lol most of those schools cheat.....especially Bama.

Yes you don't need to....but you do.

LOL..okay you win..haha. Bama is on a different level and if they are cheating, ESPN will cover for them, we are not ESPN's darlings anymore, so if we were they would call the NCAA themselves and Pawl Finebaum would say he posed as a recruit and Urban offered him five cars and 1 million dollars and then Urban called Rick Pitino and had some hookers sent over....:rolleyes:

He might win, but not championships, and certainly not with any consistancy, but your entitled to believe that if you want.

Fat man had them #3 in the country. UM certainly could if he could. Not saying every year but they would be good.

I don’t know if he’s a piece of crap or not, I just feel for him dealing with a horrible health issue. That arachnoid brain cyst is no joke, I’d shoot myself. I’m upset the BIG will have no teams to compete for a natty when he leaves. The only team that could beat OSU in the playoffs this year is Alabama. Purdue was just a fluke.

I remember when Urban was hired and I posted on this board that as good of a coach that he was he wouldn't put up better numbers than Tressel did. I was wrong.
Ryan Day has been talked about as one of the top young coaches for a few years now. OSU must have been sure he was their man. Will be interesting.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Urban did OK: 82-9, 3 Big 10 Titles.1 National Championship. We will probably never see anything like that in the Big 10 again. I believe the Hawks are 55-35 during the same period.
that must be pretty hard with 15 4/5* kids in your state every year with no in state competition.
it must be hard to win with all those "fall backs" in your backyard.....
1 year in the past 5 he hasn't lost a game he shouldn't have.
way impressive ;)

You are right, OSU has a lot going for them as far as recruiting. The school's history and high expectations of winning definitely help, as well as being in a state that is heavily populated and rich in football talent. Iowa lacks some of the built in attributes that Ohio State has in their state. I'm an Iowa fan, living in Columbus, and will not miss Urban Meyer. I like Coach Day and think he will do a good job.

Reactions: Buck2427
Urban obviously a good coach record wise and certainly great recruiter. Harbaugh and KF are probably the two happiest guys in B1G. Harbaugh couldn't beat Urban, and KF ends his matches with Urban with an epic ass kicking of OSU that came out of no where.

Urban obviously a good coach record wise and certainly great recruiter. Harbaugh and KF are probably the two happiest guys in B1G. Harbaugh couldn't beat Urban, and KF ends his matches with Urban with an epic ass kicking of OSU that came out of no where.
KF was 1-1 vs him and outscored him by 20+ points in those 2 games.
He wouldn't mind seeing him stick around ;0

LOL..okay you win..haha. Bama is on a different level and if they are cheating, ESPN will cover for them, we are not ESPN's darlings anymore, so if we were they would call the NCAA themselves and Pawl Finebaum would say he posed as a recruit and Urban offered him five cars and 1 million dollars and then Urban called Rick Pitino and had some hookers sent over....:rolleyes:
Pretty much.

Reactions: Buck2427

Didn’t Oh St just get busted a few years ago for cheating? Anyway, I’m sorry I interrupted you. Please proceed.

I was thinking more along the lines of a USC/LSU/Nebraska type starving where they think they should be on top but nobody thinks of them as on top anymore.
I was thinking more along the lines of a USC/LSU/Nebraska type starving where they think they should be on top but nobody thinks of them as on top anymore.
Got to hand it to those 3, while they may not get back to the top they are at least trying to get there. Recent hires and recruiting have them trending up.
Ohio st. will be the same, Day is a good hire.

that must be pretty hard with 15 4/5* kids in your state every year with no in state competition.
it must be hard to win with all those "fall backs" in your backyard.....
1 year in the past 5 he hasn't lost a game he shouldn't have.
way impressive ;)
If you look at our recruiting under Meyer maybe 30% of the kids came from Ohio. The majority of our recruits came from out of state. Urban did not "fall back" on many Ohio kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT