ADVERTISEMENT

US asks farmers: Can you plant 2 crops instead of 1?

Yeah, farmers never by anything nice.
I’m actually Against most of the subsidies that farmers get. Some Years it makes sense though. In the 1990s when corn was at 1.50 the LDP payments saved some farmers. Maybe a lot of farmers. CRP is valuable for the environment.

They grow garlic overwinter in Wisconsin, Michigan, New England....

For small production of course. You won't see 640 acres of garlic in Iowa.

I think he is a Floridian. He tried

I'm trying garlic for the first time down here in Florida. It's challenging, because it can be very warm here in the winter, with the occasional cold snap. Garlic likes a cold-weather dormancy period.

You can only grow certain varieties, and you have to trick the cloves into thinking they've gone through winter by putting them in the fridge for several weeks before planting.

Then you have to hope for late-season cool snaps to get big bulbs.

Anyway, with all this climate change going on, perhaps Iowa farmers could find something that traditionally only grows a bit farther south?

I’m actually Against most of the subsidies that farmers get. Some Years it makes sense though. In the 1990s when corn was at 1.50 the LDP payments saved some farmers. Maybe a lot of farmers. CRP is valuable for the environment.
So, by that standard, you can understand why assistance makes sense in some other circumstances?

Well it sure looks like the USA farmer is being asked to feed a lot more people now…it’s almost like there is a reason every administration keeps the farm bill around.
You get paid to sell your commodities, after it telling me without subsidies you wouldn’t try and be more productive? If that’s the case, CRP pays very well

I drink cofveve. But I can’t do it at the local diner or my kitchen table at 2:00 on a Wednesday while my workplace sits empty for months of the year.
I grew up working on a farm, I don't recall sitting on my ass all day. I recall having lunch for an hour then going back to working my ass off.
Freezing in the winter, sweating my balls off in the summer.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
ADVERTISEMENT