ADVERTISEMENT

US: EVs Have The Lowest Annual Fuel Cost Of All 2022 Light-Duty Vehicles

Dec 31, 2014

US: EVs Have The Lowest Annual Fuel Cost Of All 2022 Light-Duty Vehicles​

A new report indicates that typically the cost to charge up should stay below $1,000 per year.​

annual-fuel-cost-for-model-year-2022-light-duty-vehicles-source-energygov.png

Reactions: billanole
Wait, you mean to tell me it does not cost 100 dollars a week on my electric bill to charge an EV every week like all my “smartest” Facebook and work friends have been saying?

I do wonder what we’re going to do about the grid issues when electric cars become more common. China is in the midst of a heat wave and has shut down chargers to preserve their grid.

It’s going to take a lot of investment for us to get where we’ll need to be.

Made the 125 mile round trip to Menards today, with a 16' trailer in my eco diesel. Got 23 MPG empty, 29 normal, got 20.6 MPH with over 5,000 pound load. It would be pushing the range on a Ford Lightning. I'd love to get one, I just need to see some real world reports.

I do wonder what we’re going to do about the grid issues when electric cars become more common. China is in the midst of a heat wave and has shut down chargers to preserve their grid.

It’s going to take a lot of investment for us to get where we’ll need to be.
The vast majority of charging will occur at night when there is less stress on the grid. The strain on the grid comes not in the amount used, but when it is used. That said, there will be additional strain and investment does need to be made.

Reactions: ichawkeye
The vast majority of charging will occur at night when there is less stress on the grid. The strain on the grid comes not in the amount used, but when it is used. That said, there will be additional strain and investment does need to be made.
Someone posted a cool link few months ago to how the grid will need to expand but will be able to keep up and how we already faced another time where we had to ramp up similarly in the 60s through 70s for another big event: the widespread use of central air conditioning

Last edited:
Someone posted a cool link few months ago to how the grid will need to expand but will be able to keep up and how we already faced another time where we had to ramp up similarly in the 60s through 70s for another big event: the widespread use of central air conditioning

The good news is that we have options to create more power. Cleanly.

Reactions: noleclone2
Not factoring in $30,000 battery replacement. Those sting just a bit.
Wut?

Some EV batteries cost as little as $2,500 to replace, while others can be upwards of $20,000, according to an analysis by Recurrent Auto. Even at the low end, that’s still about as much as replacing a gasoline vehicle’s transmission. The good news is, we’ll probably see those costs decline in the next few years.

Electric car batteries are already cheaper to replace than they were when EVs first got popular. According to the Bloomberg report, the average cost of a new EV battery pack in 2010 was over $1,000/kwh. With advances in battery technology, we could see prices around $100/kWh by 2023, with further decreases as technology improves.

Wut?

Some EV batteries cost as little as $2,500 to replace, while others can be upwards of $20,000, according to an analysis by Recurrent Auto. Even at the low end, that’s still about as much as replacing a gasoline vehicle’s transmission. The good news is, we’ll probably see those costs decline in the next few years.

Electric car batteries are already cheaper to replace than they were when EVs first got popular. According to the Bloomberg report, the average cost of a new EV battery pack in 2010 was over $1,000/kwh. With advances in battery technology, we could see prices around $100/kWh by 2023, with further decreases as technology improves.
The technology will keep improving just as it has with combustion engines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT