ADVERTISEMENT

US increasingly unlikely to meet Biden’s July 4 vax goal (70% of Americans at least partially vaccinated)

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006

For months, President Joe Biden has laid out goal after goal for taming the coronavirus pandemic and then exceeded his own benchmarks. Now, though, the U.S. is unlikely to meet his target to have 70% of Americans at least partially vaccinated by July 4.
About 15.5 million unvaccinated adults need to receive at least one dose in the next four weeks for Biden to meet his goal. But the pace of new vaccinations in the U.S. has dropped below 400,000 people per day — down from a high of nearly 2 million per day two months ago.
So far 14 states have reached 70% coverage among adults, with about a dozen more on pace to reach the milestone by July 4. But the state-to-state variation is stark.
Fauci said the administration is “pleading” with states, particularly those with low vaccination rates, to step up their efforts in the coming months, though some of the states trailing behind are hardly sharing the urgency.

In Mississippi, which trails the nation with only about 34% of its population vaccinated, Republican Gov. Tate Reeves has called Biden’s goal “arbitrary, to say the least.”

The vaccination rate in the state has dropped off so sharply that it would take the better part of a year for the state to reach the 70% target.

Iowa has slowed down. This week we dropped a couple of slots nationally.

Why are your posts always a series of quote formats? No one else does that. Hell, I wouldn't even know how to do that.

Reactions: artradley
The vaccine causes spoons and keys to stick to your forehead.

The >30% of unvaccinated are refusing to become human magnets. That’s freedom and personal choice, my friends.

In light of the study that came out recently that showed those that have had Covid almost universally still have strong antibodies, it seems we should be having a deeper conversation than just dumping on the 30% that haven't been vaccinated (and of course blaming it on Trump supporters in the process). If people haven't been vaccinated because they actually HAD Covid...the science would seem to suggest that's just as good.

Right?

Iowa has slowed down. This week we dropped a couple of slots nationally.
Vaccine Tracker

Screenshot-20210609-104141-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20210609-104204-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20210609-104216-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20210609-104237-Chrome.jpg

Why are your posts always a series of quote formats? No one else does that. Hell, I wouldn't even know how to do that.
It's easy to do, but then it's even easier not to do IMO. My guess is new quote for each excerpt using the buttons instead of typing the code (which I do when quoting stuff from elsewhere which I do find slightly easier than using the buttons)

For not participating in Warp Speed, Pfizer sure is leading the charge on getting wider and wider vaccine approvals....
If by ‘not participating’ you mean receiving full immunity on top of getting $2 billion in guaranteed contracts (with an option for $10 billion more) from DC, and having the German govt. give your partner a half billion more, then yeah. Good ol’ American ingenuity, right?

According to the article printed above:

Only 50% of the states will reach the goal of
70% of their population being vaccinated by
July 4, 2021.

America is not taking the Covid 19 pandemic
seriously. Unfortunately, we have failed to
be responsible citizens.

If by ‘not participating’ you mean receiving full immunity on top of getting $2 billion in guaranteed contracts

Those contracts were never "guaranteed" unless their vaccine proved to be safe and efficacious.

Full Stop.

With ‘trials’ conducted by Pfizer & Co along with a compliant FDA in their back pocket the outcomes were ‘guaranteed’ to show safety & efficacy. Full stop.

That’s how prostitution works.

52% of Americans have at least 1 shot. 20% (at least) have been actually infected with COVID. That's 72% of Americans with immunity. Fauci said himself that it would take 70% immunity to beat COVID. We did it.

52% of Americans have at least 1 shot. 20% (at least) have been actually infected with COVID. That's 72% of Americans with immunity. Fauci said himself that it would take 70% immunity to beat COVID. We did it.
Unfortunately, it's not at those levels, everywhere. Which means outbreaks may continue in some states over the summer and possibly next fall.

I don't understand. Unvaccinated people are largely (almost exclusively) a threat to themselves. At this point, the case count and hospitalizations are so low that I think it's not a major issue anymore.

With my family and me fully vaccinated, I've largely gone back to my normal life; back to ballgames, restaurants, a movie, planning a vacation in a couple of weeks, and I really haven't worn my mask to anything lately. I really don't care if we get to the magic 70% number.

Unfortunately, it's not at those levels, everywhere. Which means outbreaks may continue in some states over the summer and possibly next fall.
Sucks to be them. 7 day average for ew cases in my county have been single digits since early Januray and 0 or 1 for the past month and a half.

That assumes that the 20% aren't part of the 52%, right?
The assumption is there is certainly some crossover but that also the 20% that actually contracted COIVD is way higher than that. Maybe other places were different but around here people stopped getting tested because it didn't matter. They just did their 10 days at home and went on with their lives.

I don't understand. Unvaccinated people are largely (almost exclusively) a threat to themselves.
No; they're a threat to people who cannot be vaccinated.

Like many of the kids at Children's Hospitals, battling leukemia, or transplant patients on immunosuppressants.

Reactions: srams21
Sucks to be them. 7 day average for ew cases in my county have been single digits since early Januray and 0 or 1 for the past month and a half.

Simply pointing out your logical fallacy. The pandemic doesn't really "end" until all areas are at 70%+ immunity (thru either infection or vaccination).

The "average" is mostly irrelevant. The standard deviation would provide an idea of how good the coverage is.

The assumption is there is certainly some crossover but that also the 20% that actually contracted COIVD is way higher than that. Maybe other places were different but around here people stopped getting tested because it didn't matter. They just did their 10 days at home and went on with their lives.

I don't disagree that the number that had Covid is far higher than reported. Right off the top of my head, I'm close friends or work with at least five families (around 25 total people) that definitely had Covid (classic symptoms including loss of taste and smell) but that didn't bother to get tested. I know a number of other individual employees and friends have told me the same thing. I know far more people that had it and weren't tested than I do people who tested positive. Wouldn't doubt if the Covid infection numbers were at least double the number of documented cases.

In light of the study that came out recently that showed those that have had Covid almost universally still have strong antibodies, it seems we should be having a deeper conversation than just dumping on the 30% that haven't been vaccinated (and of course blaming it on Trump supporters in the process). If people haven't been vaccinated because they actually HAD Covid...the science would seem to suggest that's just as good.

Right?
Yeah, we've got multiple studies now basically saying there is little difference between natural immunity and vaccination. The book isn't closed on the issue, but we have real reason to believe natural immunity could be enduring.

So, yes... if you already had the disease you ought to be viewed quite differently from someone that didn't. It really should count for something. You're not in the same category as those that never got it.

Yeah, we've got multiple studies now basically saying there is little difference between natural immunity and vaccination. The book isn't closed on the issue, but we have real reason to believe natural immunity could be enduring.

So, yes... if you already had the disease you ought to be viewed quite differently from someone that didn't. It really should count for something. You're not in the same category as those that never got it.
That's not exactly correct. For those who have had COVID, the research indicates a single dose is better than no dose, but is likely sufficient to enhance the immune response.

Goel, et al (2021)

Reactions: Joes Place

Any studies done on antibodies present in the unvaccinated?

Any studies done on antibodies present in the unvaccinated?
Yeah, but they're not completely telling since there is immune memory that can kick in -- it does for lots of viruses IIRC -- that will cause the body to produce lots of antibodies once exposed to the virus again. I believe B cell are responsible for this. (and something else, I'd have to refresh my memory)

That's not exactly correct. For those who have had COVID, the research indicates a single dose is better than no dose, but is likely sufficient to enhance the immune response.

Goel, et al (2021)
That may be. I was just stating that it seems likely there is some real durable immunity associated with natural infection.

Cool more red meat for crazy anti vaxxers. Covid can also cause heart inflammation but yeah let’s make a big deal out of the 226 cases out of 130 million. But of course this should be checked out. Would you rather risk getting heart inflammation from Covid or a 226 in 130 million possibility linked to the vaccine?

ADVERTISEMENT