ADVERTISEMENT

US military rejects calls to reduce sonic booms from SpaceX rockets blasting along California coast

seminole97

HB Legend
Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles Times ^ | Aug. 9, 2024 Updated 2:07 PM PT | Salvador Hernandez

Military officials are rejecting demands from a state agency to better monitor and mitigate the effects of rocket launches and sonic booms from Vandenberg Space Force Base, frustrating local officials and increasing tensions between the U.S. Space Force and the state agency tasked with preserving the California coast.

SpaceX, a leading contractor with Space Force, wants to rapidly multiply the number of rockets launched from the military base in Santa Barbara County. The company hasn’t been seeking the commission’s approval, however; instead, Space Force officials have been negotiating with the California Coastal Commission for months over a plan to allow 36 launches at the base this year — six times more than the previous agreement allowed.

As part of those talks, the state commission asked Space Force to track and document more closely how the blasts affect wildlife and to consider ways to reduce the harm from sonic booms. The commission can’t impose its will on the military — it can only ask for Space Force to cooperate.

At the commission’s meeting Thursday, what is usually a mild-mannered monthly session turned tense after military officials rejected the additional monitoring and mitigation, and Space Force officials refused to take questions. Commission members were visibly irked.

“I’m beyond pissed,” said Commissioner Susan Lowenberg.

“I don’t understand why our own government is thumbing their nose at another branch of our government.” Said Commissioner Kristina Kunkel, “I hope this commission won’t be bullied into ignoring environmental protections.”

Can’t stop. Won’t stop.

guile-street.gif

Reactions: seminole97
I love the sonic booms here south of the cape. Wildlife disturbance seems minimal here as the space center lies in the middle of a national wildlife refuge and seashore, and is still considered one of the most biodiverse parks in the US system and one of the top birding locations worldwide.

Reactions: hawksurprize
Just saw that they are attempting a record double header launch within an hour tomorrow. One at 8am and one at 9am. Double booms for my balls.

I love the sonic booms here south of the cape. Wildlife disturbance seems minimal here as the space center lies in the middle of a national wildlife refuge and seashore, and is still considered one of the most biodiverse parks in the US system and one of the top birding locations worldwide.
If they brought their bitchin’ to a county commission meeting in Okaloosa they’d be reminded that’s the sound of freedom!

:mad:

• Love
Reactions: PoopandBoogers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT