ADVERTISEMENT

US soccer writer dead at World Cup

Yes, I listened to his Podcast this morning and he mentioned he had Bronchitis. I enjoyed his writing and his podcast greatly. He will be missed

You know the white house is all "for the love of God Qatar please tell us you didn't kill one of our journalists"
I’m hoping they are delivering the message and doing what @mnole03 said above. Need the body to do an autopsy and toxicology tests. If they refuse to turn it over for a couple days we should assume guilt and act accordingly.

Every journalist, television, internet, or print, should leave the country. Fox should (won't) stop televising the games, and players should refuse to play until this is sorted out at the absolute very least.

Reactions: nelly02
Lot of folks jumping to conclusions here.

The wife said he collapsed…could have had a heart attack, aneurysm….

They’ll do an autopsy and we’ll find out.
Even if he did and they refused treatment or didn't provide the best treatment available, it's horrendous.

Right, but there needs to be an independent autopsy and an investigation into the standard of care.

It’s an international event and people come from all over the world. There’s a lot of bad stuff out there like the Strep A in the UK. When it’s an American journalist who is adverse to a sketchy regime, the United States should look for answers.

Last edited:
I’ll wait until more info comes out before placing blame. Being sick in a foreign country might make it more difficult to do things like see a doctor, get medications, get to an emergency room and so forth.

Wahl did say he had bronchitis and went to the medical clinic twice, including yesterday. His podcast he did say a lot of media members had horrible coughs

You are correct, let's not jump to conclusions. But a full autopsy needs to be done in the US as quickly as possible. What the Qatari government says/releases over the next few days will be very telling.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
"My body finally broke down on me. Three weeks of little sleep, high stress and lots of work can do that to you,'' Wahl wrote. "What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort. I didn't have Covid (I test regularly here), but I went into the medical clinic at the main media center today, and they said I probably have bronchitis. They gave me a course of antibiotics and some heavy-duty cough syrup, and I'm already feeling a bit better just a few hours later. But still: No bueno.''

This is absolutely shocking. For those that don’t know, he’s a giant of soccer reporting and writing. Was SI’s top soccer guy (and college bball guy for a while) for decades, then Fox Sports’ top soccer reporter ever since FS1 became a thing. Very critical of Qatar in the lead up. Devastating.

Also, his wife is Dr. Celine Gounder, famously CNN’s infectious disease correspondent who became a mainstay during the COVID outbreak.

Last edited:
This is absolutely shocking. For those that don’t know, he’s a giant of soccer reporting and writing. Was SI’s top soccer guy (and college bball guy for a while) for decades, then Fox Sports’ top soccer reporter ever since FS1 became a thing. Very critical of Qatar in the lead up. Devastating.

Also, his wife is Dr. Celine Gounder, famously CNN’s infectious disease correspondent who became a mainstay during the COVID outbreak.

He was fantastic. I read lots of his stuff on the USMNT and MLS.

ADVERTISEMENT