ADVERTISEMENT

US soccer writer dead at World Cup

l
This is absolutely shocking. For those that don’t know, he’s a giant of soccer reporting and writing. Was SI’s top soccer guy (and college bball guy for a while) for decades, then Fox Sports’ top soccer reporter ever since FS1 became a thing. Very critical of Qatar in the lead up. Devastating.

Also, his wife is Dr. Celine Gounder, famously CNN’s infectious disease correspondent who became a mainstay during the COVID outbreak.

Good lookin doctor lady is single? Giggety.

• Wow
Reactions: ihawk in FWB
Many a patient that gets diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism (which can be fatal) has a diagnosis somewhere in the chart in the preceding few days of ‘bronchitis’ from some doc in the box. That’s my guess.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
First thing that comes to mind is Putin’s poison hit squads.

Medical history, quality autopsy, and other details should clear it up. Assuming poisons don’t exist that simulate natural causes with no trace.

Brother says he was murdered.
d410083e536d9bb001f8e907ee1958ae2bf5b95d71122c2c2d8e3a725fe51c1a.png

There’s certain places I know I shouldn’t go because I would get into trouble and the government doesn’t mess around….lots of middle eastern countries are on that list
This, I have no background on this journalist, but have to think, making the decision to wear the rainbow, he was either uneducated (doubtful), or knew it was a bad idea in his situation.

Or he relied on his status as a media member too much in a crap country that do not have civil liberties.

When you award shit-holes a world stage...you get situations like this, tragic for him and his family.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I’ll wait until more info comes out before placing blame. Being sick in a foreign country might make it more difficult to do things like see a doctor, get medications, get to an emergency room and so forth.
He got medical help several times including antibiotics per the ESPN story

It will be curious to see how the Biden admin deal with this...after the backlash from the prisoner exchange...another high-profile American killed/harmed.

Seems right up their alley to resolve...grab your ass Qatar missiles on their way from Joey and Kamy.

Maybe again, quit awarding shit-hole countries a world stage.

Editing before the replies: I know Biden didn't award Qatar the World Cup.

That was meant for the corrupt international sports bodies.

Last edited:
DOHA is really not that important to us. And frankly good luck kicking usur military out the country. Contract is in place, and if we left, let the Iranians start bombing the Arab world. Let them all kill each other.

EDIT: those countries need us more than we need them

DOHA is really not that important to us. And frankly good luck kicking usur military out the country. Contract is in place, and if we left, let the Iranians start bombing the Arab world. Let them all kill each other.

EDIT: those countries need us more than we need them
The UAE hates Qatar also.

I was guilty of jumping to the worst case, but he had been sick, had bronchitis and posted about it, no clue on what happened after he was not allowed in, but...in this day and age, if this much is out, it will all come out, Qatar doesn't have the experience of Saudi Ariba or Russia when it comes to a State Hit.

If he was having lung issues and perhaps even a walking pneumonia issue, it could definitely trigger a heart attack from having to overwork the heart to provide oxygen. I do think the lack of medical help sounds weird for a journalist who collapses at a the premier country event who has to be Uber driven to a hospital.

His former co-host from MLS on FOX (now soccer reporter for FanDuel), not taking it well…

This is the stuff that I find most annoying.

The man had said numerous times that he was sick and receiving treatment but this woman and his brother are flat out lying to Twitter and Instagram and saying he wasn’t sick. Why?

I have no idea what happened but I know it’s hard to believe one side when they seem to be lying right out of the gate.

With all that said, regardless of what happened it’s still a very sad situation.

Not that it matters but he was supporting his gay brother not trying to bring down an oppressive regime.

I know nothing about this guy but sounds like he was a great dude. I hope thus gets investigated and not just swept up as natural causes.

Yes, he’ll be remembered as a TV reporter and the best-selling author of The Beckham Experiment. But in the brief period he was also the top college basketball guy at Sports Illustrated, he wrote his most famous story ever and it wasn’t soccer…

Reactions: noleclone2
ADVERTISEMENT