ADVERTISEMENT

US targets Putin's daughters, Russian banks in new sanctions

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The United States on Wednesday announced sanctions targeting Russian President Vladimir Putin's two adult daughters and said it was toughening penalties against Russian banks in retaliation for "war crimes" in Ukraine.

The moves against Sberbank and Alfa Bank prohibit assets from touching the U.S. financial system and bar Americans from doing business with those institutions.
In addition to sanctions aimed at Putin's adult daughters, Mariya Putina and Katerina Tikhonova, the U.S. is targeting Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin; the wife and children of Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov; and members of Russia's Security Council, including Dmitry Medvedev, a former president and prime minister.

The penalties cut of all of Putin's close family members off from the U.S. financial system and freeze any assets they hold in the United States.

244599-untitled-design-2-copy-4.jpg

In related news, the UK says it will cut off all Russian oil and gas
by the end of the year.

WTF?

Why not already?

I know, I know, they are pussies. All for helping Ukraine, unless it means paying more at the pump.

Just like the wusses here in America.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Maybe these Russian banks need to identify as Ukrainian banks so they can get subsidized instead of sanctioned.

We also announced sanctions on more Russian oligarchs. Raising 3 pressing questions:

1. Just how many oligarchs does Russia have?

2. Why aren't we sanctioning all of them?

3. What ties are there between Russia's oligarchs and America's oligarchs (and is that why some of them aren't being sanctioned)?

And this is why support for military action will grow….we see the Russian atrocities on the news, followed by a story that we apparently were not previously sanctioning all the Russian banks and individuals….what the heck….what were they waiting for at this point. What a joke.

And this is why support for military action will grow….we see the Russian atrocities on the news, followed by a story that we apparently were not previously sanctioning all the Russian banks and individuals….what the heck….what were they waiting for at this point. What a joke.

There are a lot of international banks operating in the US - the types of banks that you're not going to walk into and open a checking account - that have trillions in assets and do business, mostly foreign exchange, in Russia or do business in a country that will still do business in/with Russia

I think things are a bit more complicated doing these sanctions than we realize.

And I'd wager a good bit that there are dozens of other things happening that we don't hear about.

It's unfortunate, but ALL these things aren't immediate.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I think things are a bit more complicated doing these sanctions than we realize.

And I'd wager a good bit that there are dozens of other things happening that we don't hear about.

It's unfortunate, but ALL these things aren't immediate.
Sure. But I'd bet that a huge reason for the sluggish and limited application of sanctions comes down to how it impacts Big Oil and Big Money. Others, too, but mainly them.

The average American said they would be willing to bite the bullet a little bit. But now that the gas prices are rising, that eagerness to do what's right is clearly waning.

The average US oligarch and big corporation never said they would be OK with voluntarily hurting their bottom line. And preventing that is exactly why they pay to own elected representatives.

ADVERTISEMENT