ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today Coaches Poll- Preseason Top 25

You know this is one of those times when starting outside the top 25 isn’t a bad thing. The maturity and depth we have on defense, sprinkle in a better overall Oline(yes I’m hopeful), upgrades backfield, solid TEs, and improved QB play (because of Oline and RBs) spell a potential motivation addition because of the lack of ranking. If nothing else I feel like they have something to prove right out of the gate…meaning no sleep walking through the first game. I feel pretty good about this group.

Yup. Means nothing right now. Would love to see the Hawks get better as the season goes on. We have the players to surprise some higher ranked teams. I'm really hoping to see the offense gel and SP grow into a B1G caliber quarterback.

It's a lack of respect for the Iowa program. Iowa finished 23rd in their final poll in January and fielded one of the youngest teams in the country in their two deeps.
Iowa lost a first rounder to the draft, 2 seasoned receivers transferred, plus their starting rb left early. Of course they are going to dip. Coming in at 26th shows respect IMHO considering Iowa will be unproven on offense. If they play well at the start of the season and look better on offense, the accolades will come.

Iowa lost a first rounder to the draft, 2 seasoned receivers transferred, plus their starting rb left early. Of course they are going to dip. Coming in at 26th shows respect IMHO considering Iowa will be unproven on offense. If they play well at the start of the season and look better on offense, the accolades will come.
The line, wr group and rb group will all be drastically improved in my opinion. Tracy isn't a loss. Goodson was a homerun threat. I would think we could have 600-700 more rushing yards this year. Plus a top 10 defense.

The line, wr group and rb group will all be drastically improved in my opinion. Tracy isn't a loss. Goodson was a homerun threat. I would think we could have 600-700 more rushing yards this year. Plus a top 10 defense.
While I agree with you, the coaches poll tends to be very conservative, as in what have you done for me lately. They see a kick/punt returner who was All-B1G that transferred plus another receiver that transferred who was a starter and would have been a senior. They see 2 sophomore receivers to be who played limited downs and had limited catches, nothing spectacular statistically. They see a new sophomore running back who started one game and played well but isn't a game breaker. And they haven't seen an offensive line that can block as a unit. I haven't even mentioned Iowa's quarterback issues - a 5th year 2-year returning starter who is fighting for his job, and not because the competition is so great. Iowa is lucky to be at 26th.

I have faith that things will get turned back right this season. I am usually one of the most positive posters on this board but I know that it takes a total team effort for Iowa to have a great season, especially with a schedule like this year's. I am hoping for no injuries and improved blocking as a unit this year.

Remember, this is really the Assistant SID poll. The Georgia assistant SID isn't researching Iowa before voting.

He thinks we were an overrated 10-4 last year, and lost some of our best players. Our QB sucks. That is it. He don't know nothing about 2 sophomore WR.
If you "don't know nothing" about something, doesn't that mean you know something?

😉

To no surprise Texas in top 25 like they are every preseason then they fall flat on their face. Some idiot even gave them a vote for #1.
JFC. Whoever ranked Texas at #1 just needs to have his voting privileges terminated immediately, plain and simple. I know it's just a preseason poll, but why the heck should someone who is clearly mocking the system continue to have such an important power?

JFC. Whoever ranked Texas at #1 just needs to have his voting privileges terminated immediately, plain and simple. I know it's just a preseason poll, but why the heck should someone who is clearly mocking the system continue to have such an important power?
There is nothing important about the coaches poll....

Every. Dang. Year.

Texas and USC.

Nebraska isn't in which is odd.
USC is likely going to be a force to reckon with under Lincoln Riley. I would almost equate this with Saban arriving at Bama. Another sleeping giant with a lot of tradition in a rich recruiting environment.

USC is likely going to be a force to reckon with under Lincoln Riley. I would almost equate this with Saban arriving at Bama. Another sleeping giant with a lot of tradition in a rich recruiting environment.
He thought he was easy street not long ago :)

#26, meh whatever. I expected maybe a few spots higher, but not too far off.

Just win some games and the rankings will take care of themselves.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT