ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: Linderbaum could slip out of first round

tweeterhawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2010
And the Earth could end tomorrow. But it likely won't. And Tyler will hear his name called early on.

I don't put a lot of stock, anyway, in the opinion of a so-called "sports writer" who has two last names.

Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa​

There aren't many offensive linemen whose resumes can match that of Linderbaum, a consensus All-American and latest in a long line of Iowa standouts. His 6-2, 296-pound frame might be disqualifying for several teams, however, as he could be exploited by rangier interior defensive linemen. And the last undersized center whose movement skills paved his way into the first round – Minnesota Vikings center Garrett Bradbury – has largely struggled and is not expected to have his fifth-year option picked up, per reports. Given that center is already a bit of a luxury for Day 1, Linderbaum might not make the cut. The Cowboys (No. 24), Titans (No. 26) and Bengals (No. 31) likely represent his best opportunities to avoid a slide.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
It would surprise me if he isn't in the first round. Trust me...these GMs can be idiots, but his tape is unreal. I watched an interview with Pat Fitzgerald after the NW game. He was simply blown away by the tape on Linderbaum...I mean, blown away. He said his short area quickness is like nothing he has seen...pulling, after snapping, and getting to a corner or outside backer kind of stuff. It was really a great compliment to Lindy.

After Lindy put up the top shuttle times at his pro day...better than anyone at the combine...plus weighed in at 302...he also had the 3rd best vertical of any lineman at the combine. The 302 pounds was a real bonus.

He's a steal...he's also a character guy, smarter than anyone in the room...and tough as nails. He goes in the first.

Wouldn't be surprising. It's amazing how many of these NFL dweebs who get it wrong every year because they're so laser focused on measurables like short arms instead of taking that info and stepping back and realizing that short arms or not this is going to be an All Pro football player, still have jobs.

And the Earth could end tomorrow. But it likely won't. And Tyler will hear his name called early on.

I don't put a lot of stock, anyway, in the opinion of a so-called "sports writer" who has two last names.

There aren't many offensive linemen whose resumes can match that of Linderbaum, a consensus All-American and latest in a long line of Iowa standouts. His 6-2, 296-pound frame might be disqualifying for several teams, however, as he could be exploited by rangier interior defensive linemen. And the last undersized center whose movement skills paved his way into the first round – Minnesota Vikings center Garrett Bradbury – has largely struggled and is not expected to have his fifth-year option picked up, per reports. Given that center is already a bit of a luxury for Day 1, Linderbaum might not make the cut. The Cowboys (No. 24), Titans (No. 26) and Bengals (No. 31) likely represent his best opportunities to avoid a slide.

2 last names. Love it!

Wouldn't be surprising. It's amazing how many of these NFL dweebs who get it wrong every year because they're so laser focused on measurables like short arms instead of taking that info and stepping back and realizing that short arms or not this is going to be an All Pro football player, still have jobs.
The short arm thing was my first thought when I read the thread title. That was the big thing that affected Bryan Bulaga and his draft stock. Turns out he did just fine with his T-Rex arms.

Easily the best lineman in the Draft....has increased his weight over 301 lbs, with Elite quickness and explosiveness. A true high character leader to plug and play his first year in the NFL. Some large Offensive Gaurds and Tackles my be picked earlier, but none of them are as talented as Tyler.

Last edited:
Here's the draft profile from 247 on Marshal Yanda, projecting him as a 4th round talent...

"His lack of power is certainly a concern, but Yanda works hard and is a leader. He's a decent athlete and shows good fundamentals, but absolutely must get stronger if he's going to start. Yanda has potential to be very solid, but it's going to be up to him to reach that level."

Sound like a 7x All-Pro, member of the NFL 2010s All-Decade Team, and future Hall of Famer to you?

Would love to see him with the Packers, but they have bigger needs to fill with their 2 first round picks.

These news sources get their information from GM's and scouts. If you want to draft a player, are you really going to gush over him? Nope. They'll say, "He is a good player - we're taking a look at him but he has some shortcomings".

I'm hoping the Vikings luck out and Linderbaum falls to them in the 2nd Rd since they need a Center more than anyone else.

You can call "dibs" on players, right?........

Either that or we trade back up into the 1st Rd to pick him up.

Here's the draft profile from 247 on Marshal Yanda, projecting him as a 4th round talent...

"His lack of power is certainly a concern, but Yanda works hard and is a leader. He's a decent athlete and shows good fundamentals, but absolutely must get stronger if he's going to start. Yanda has potential to be very solid, but it's going to be up to him to reach that level."

Sound like a 7x All-Pro, member of the NFL 2010s All-Decade Team, and future Hall of Famer to you?
A person's mindset is such a wild card. When drafted, will they think that they have made it, or that it's the beginning?

That and taking care of your body; avoiding injury.

Hindsight is 20/20. The draft evaluation sounds about right. The key thing is Yanda had the "want to," so he did what he needed to reach that level.

The early rankings were based on performance, but centers are so undervalued a higher value position will get much more love even if the player is a higher risk.

I’ve thought second round since he declared. It will be a steal for whoever gets him, but the fan bases would much prefer a wide out or an edge rusher who might make an impact as opposed to a solid interior lineman.

Don’t be shocked if he ends up in the burgh
They still need a C and if their top QB choice is off the board don’t be surprised if the Steelers go OL.

I call deliberate F.U.D. from front-offices hoping he falls to them in the late first round.

stephen-colbert-report.gif

Last edited:

Yeah… no… Lindy is not dropping out of the first round. Anyone who signs him will get a future, multi-year - eventual - pro bowler.

The early rankings were based on performance, but centers are so undervalued a higher value position will get much more love even if the player is a higher risk.

I’ve thought second round since he declared. It will be a steal for whoever gets him, but the fan bases would much prefer a wide out or an edge rusher who might make an impact as opposed to a solid interior lineman.
Correct. There may be a team that really needs a center that will take the near sure thing in Linderbaum in the first round. But today teams place such an emphasis on the premium positions with early picks (OT, Edge rusher, QB, corner, then maybe DT and WR). RB's, Centers, inside linebackers, teams just avoid taking them early.

You don't often see Tyler getting his helmet smashed into the turf and ran-over like you would see with a Brian Ferentz type. Tyler is leverage, balance, peripherals, and an abundance of common sense.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BBHawk and haightt
ADVERTISEMENT