ADVERTISEMENT

USA U20s soccer beat power Honduras to clinch 2024 Olympics. Ends 16 year drought.

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
The US Soccer youth system is on a roll. Going for their third straight CONCACAF championship, and just routed host Honduras (2016 Bronze Medal finalists) in the semis to clinch an Olympic berth. Best part? Mexico lost in the quarters so they are out of the U-20 World Cup AND Olympics.

USA meets Dominican Republic in the final, who had NEVER qualified for FIFA international competition, and have now clinched the U-20 WC and Olympics in the last three days.

Last edited:
That was a packed stadium too. Obviously the U20 has the benefit of a couple weeks to settle in that the senior team doesn’t. But I can’t even recall a senior international match where the USMNT just smashes someone on the road like that.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
With no WCQ, we will undoubtably take the Olympics quite seriously.

Konrad, Pepi, Reyna, Busio, Musah and Scalley would be U23. Dest and Aaronson barely miss the Jan 1 2001 cutoff. And there will certainly be plentiful opportunities for guys who are currently unknowns (notably, the guys who were in this qualifying tournament) immediately after Qatar.

I think it will be a team that will have our top XI overage guys wanting to join in since it seems like a solid medal contender.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I didn't see this game but I did watch a few others and they were well in control of those games. As good as the main US team is right now, it's great to see there's even more talent down the pipeline as well. It's what we need for sustained success.

The US Soccer youth system is on a roll. Going for their third straight CONCACAF championship, and just routed Honduras (2016 Bronze Medal finalists) in hostile Hthe semis to clinch an Olympic berth. Best part? Mexico lost in the quarters so they are out of the U-20 World Cup AND Olympics.

USA meets Dominican Republic in the final, who had NEVER qualified for FIFA international competition, and have now clinched the U-20 WC and Olympics in the last three days.

They look good. Future is bright for many years for the USMNT.

I didn't see this game but I did watch a few others and they were well in control of those games. As good as the main US team is right now, it's great to see there's even more talent down the pipeline as well. It's what we need for sustained success.

Agreed, and regardless of how they do in the Olympics themselves, just that international experience is huge for development of young players.

Firmly believe the failures to qualify in ‘12 and ‘16 contributed to the WCQ failure in ‘18. Not enough young players emerged to challenge or replace the aging veterans.

Reactions: BioHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT