ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to the B1G?

Unfortunately, a more likely scenario is that the Big10 and SEC become super conferences making the ACC, PAC12, and Big12 2nd tier. Could lead to some major losses in TV deals and cuts for non-revenue programs.

That seems pretty far fetched even today, but what is the end game here with the Big10 and SEC?

Wonder what impact this could have on wrestling. Would be great if at least one of those could get a program going.

Great if it happens, but I'm not sure that wrestling will ever get a shot at those two schools.
We have yet to get an offical message from the BIG that wrestling is a prerequisite for joining. I'd surely like to see that in writing somewhere. We all know that football money drives the bus.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
I always thought a prerequisite to join the Big 10 was having a wrestling program??
Maybe that's not a concern anymore?

It is definitely not. Plus note that ND doesn't have a program and they've long had what amounts to a standing invitation.

Allow me to retort.

Thank-you.

https://pin.it/5dyYzui
I'd still rather see this any day of the week and twice on Saturday night.

D4THxj8W0AI8TVm

This makes no sense geographically…… not a fan….. they’ll be about as competitive as Nebraska has been probably…..

wanting some of the media cash apparently …. Have to admit I’m looking forward to watching them play football in Wisconsin in November though

This makes no sense geographically…… not a fan….. they’ll be about as competitive as Nebraska has been probably…..

wanting some of the media cash apparently …. Have to admit I’m looking forward to watching them play football in Wisconsin in November though
Geography means nothing. Private jets and more money.

Maybe to fans that haven't adjust to the new
It's true. The game has changed. Tradition was thrown out the window with conference tv networks.
I understand all that….. just not a fan of it….. I’m not a fan of a lot of the “new reality” as you describe it…..

I haven’t noticed you in the cesspool before…..you’re an Iowa wrestling fan? Live in Cali?

Reactions: lookleft goright
I understand all that….. just not a fan of it….. I’m not a fan of a lot of the “new reality” as you describe it…..

I haven’t noticed you in the cesspool before…..you’re an Iowa wrestling fan? Live in Cali?
Iowa and UNI wrestling fan! Unfortunately, I moved back to Iowa.

Reactions: el dub
😂😂 well I guess Welcome back wouldn’t be appropriate then…. Buy a coat you’ll be fine….. we have better looking women here!

Reactions: IAChief32
I always thought a prerequisite to join the Big 10 was having a wrestling program??
Maybe that's not a concern anymore?
Not sure if that was ever the case or not but I'd have to think that a non-revenue sport would have little impact on a potential addition(s) resulting in millions of dollars coming to the conference.

Reactions: blhawk
Not sure if that was ever the case or not but I'd have to think that a non-revenue sport would have little impact on a potential addition(s) resulting in millions of dollars coming to the conference.
Also, spending $1-2M to have a Men's and women's program in a state with good high school wrestling to get $30-40M from BTN might be a good trade off for those schools

Also, spending $1-2M to have a Men's and women's program in a state with good high school wrestling to get $30-40M from BTN might be a good trade off for those schools

But wrestling is a niche sport inconsequential to conference expansion so why would the B1G create such a restriction? The schools can decide for themselves. Wouldn’t hold my breath on that.

But wrestling is a niche sport inconsequential to conference expansion so why would the B1G create such a restriction? The schools can decide for themselves. Wouldn’t hold my breath on that.
Not saying it was a restriction but I am sure it would be encouraged. Up until Wisconsin dropped baseball all "Big Ten" schools had the same sports. It was a big deal between the conference and Barry. it has only been recently that schools had dropped like Iowa with swimming but that was a Covid issue

Not saying it was a restriction but I am sure it would be encouraged. Up until Wisconsin dropped baseball all "Big Ten" schools had the same sports. It was a big deal between the conference and Barry. it has only been recently that schools had dropped like Iowa with swimming but that was a Covid issue

That’s fake news.

Regardless, an encouragement and a requirement are vastly different things.

Hockey? Field hockey? Men’s soccer? Crew? Men’s volleybalI? Some B10 schools had those sports when Wisconsin dropped baseball. Many more examples out there.

ADVERTISEMENT