ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to the B1G?

Not saying it was a restriction but I am sure it would be encouraged. Up until Wisconsin dropped baseball all "Big Ten" schools had the same sports. It was a big deal between the conference and Barry. it has only been recently that schools had dropped like Iowa with swimming but that was a Covid issue
I'll bang the drum all day and night for wrestling but USC/UCLA not having wrestling has zero bearing on this deal.

Reactions: el dub
Also, spending $1-2M to have a Men's and women's program in a state with good high school wrestling to get $30-40M from BTN might be a good trade off for those schools

Spending $0 on wrestling to get $30-40M from BTN is an even better trade off for those schools.

Both USC and UCLA have some pretty prominent alumni that could hit up for $. I am sure USC could hit up Will Farrell and UCLA Mark Harmon among many others.

Spending $0 on wrestling to get $30-40M from BTN is an even better trade off for those schools.
Try $80-$100MM per school. That is the current estimate based on the $1B+ TV deal allegedly being negotiated. There is speculation that FOX approached USC and UCLA about moving and not the B10.

Reactions: 24 so far
Try $80-$100MM per school. That is the current estimate based on the $1B+ TV deal allegedly being negotiated. There is speculation that FOX approached USC and UCLA about moving and not the B10.

Which makes spending $0 on wrestling an even bigger trade off for both schools.

Which makes spending $0 on wrestling an even bigger trade off for both schools.
USC is well behind sponsoring athletic teams when compared to PSU, tOSU or even MI. Who knows if they will ever add wrestling, however, given their stature, it would surprise me if they didn’t add programs.

USC is well behind sponsoring athletic teams when compared to PSU, tOSU or even MI. Who knows if they will ever add wrestling, however, given their stature, it would surprise me if they didn’t add programs.
If the administrators are interested in giving opportunities to young men and women to enrich their lives, then - as a result of the increase flow of money, naturally they will add sports. If however, if it is all about making money and hiring more friends as administrators and feeding their egos, they probably will not add sports. Let's see how this plays out.

According to Wikipedia, UCLA & USC already offer more varsity sports than nine existing conference schools. Why should they add more sports if the schools that are already lagging behind them don't?

School
B1G Men's
non-con Men's
B1G Women's
non-con Women's
Total
Ohio State
14​
4​
14​
5​
37​
Penn State
14​
2​
13​
2​
31​
Michigan
14​
0​
14​
1​
28​
Rutgers
10​
2​
14​
1​
27​
Wisconsin
11​
1​
11​
2​
25​
UCLA
9​
2​
12​
2​
25​
USC
8​
2​
12​
2​
24​
Indiana
11​
0​
12​
1​
23​
Michigan State
11​
0​
12​
0​
23​
Illinois
10​
0​
11​
0​
21​
Iowa
8​
0​
13​
1​
21​
Minnesota
9​
0​
12​
1​
21​
Nebraska
10​
0​
11​
3​
21​
Maryland
8​
0​
12​
0​
20​
Purdue
10​
0​
10​
0​
20​
Northwestern
8​
0​
10​
1​
18​

Not saying it was a restriction but I am sure it would be encouraged. Up until Wisconsin dropped baseball all "Big Ten" schools had the same sports. It was a big deal between the conference and Barry. it has only been recently that schools had dropped like Iowa with swimming but that was a Covid issue
Dropping swimming was not a covid issue

If the administrators are interested in giving opportunities to young men and women to enrich their lives, then - as a result of the increase flow of money, naturally they will add sports. If however, if it is all about making money and hiring more friends as administrators and feeding their egos, they probably will not add sports. Let's see how this plays out.
so if Iowa is interested in enriching it’s students lives it will add men’s swimming, tennis, and gymnastics?

This is from a long time Penn State beat writer in central PA. I thought it was a good read.

Reactions: aije and el dub
Just to point out a minor grammatical error in the above posting. Recent legislation provides the correct spelling as “TOSU”. No longer is the school in the middle of the state of Ohio titled “tOSU”.

Please try not to muddle the above with; the Oklahoma State University, or the Oregon State University. Or the Pennsylvania State University.

Undoubtedly this grammatical article/correction will lead to great confusion is buckeye-land, and countless misspellings. However it just seems right that contributors to The University of Iowa wrestling board should observe the correct spelling, “The”. And try to avoid the buckeye faithful misspelling, “the.”

images

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: johnyt9 and el dub
Just to point out a minor grammatical error in the above posting. Recent legislation provides the correct spelling as “TOSU”. No longer is the school in the middle of the state of Ohio titled “tOSU”.

Please try not to muddle the above with; the Oklahoma State University, or the Oregon State University. Or the Pennsylvania State University.

Undoubtedly this grammatical article/correction will lead to great confusion is buckeye-land, and countless misspellings. However it just seems right that contributors to The University of Iowa wrestling board should observe the correct spelling, “The”. And try to avoid the buckeye faithful misspelling, “the.”

images
I still go with tO$U

so if Iowa is interested in enriching it’s students lives it will add men’s swimming, tennis, and gymnastics?
If Iowa gets a sudden uptick in income that is almost certain to last for years and years to come, then they can either add sports or add administrators.

If Iowa gets a sudden uptick in income that is almost certain to last for years and years to come, then they can either add sports or add administrators.

Holy missing the mark. Iowa is going to reinvest it into their athletic programs—largely the revenue sports—just like everyone else. This money is largely going to be spoken for just to keep up with rapidly rising costs and keeping up with the Jones’.

sports were not dropped because of income. if that were the case certain;y would not have added woman's wrestling

sports were not dropped because of income. if that were the case certain;y would not have added woman's wrestling

Let’s be honest, Iowa wouldn’t have started the women’s wrestling team if it wasn’t for the Title IX lawsuit. It was more of a financial and saving face decision than an altruistic decision to benefit female athletes.

Reactions: Hawkdiver
Let’s be honest, Iowa wouldn’t have started the women’s wrestling team if it wasn’t for the Title IX lawsuit. It was more of a financial and saving face decision than an altruistic decision to benefit female athletes.
Let’s be realistic here. The suit accelerated the women’s but is not responsible for the women’s team. It would’ve come within 5 years regardless.

Holy missing the mark. Iowa is going to reinvest it into their athletic programs—largely the revenue sports—just like everyone else. This money is largely going to be spoken for just to keep up with rapidly rising costs and keeping up with the Jones’.
I believe that is correct. However, if they have a sudden huge surge, adding another sport would be in the best interests of the students. I am assuming there willl be much more money put into administrative salaries though. I feel they would serve the kids by adding sports, but almost no chance of that happening at Iowa or USC or UCLA - IMHO. I am not saying it would happen. I was saying that they have a choice. I believe they will go the route you have suggested. Sad but true.

Reactions: grapplefann
Interesting read about how and why UCLA and a few other schools dropped wrestling in the first place. Pretty distasteful.

Here
Distasteful? I mean I'd much rather they cut men's golf or gymnastics but they were just making moves to help feed the cash cow that makes all the other non revenue sports possible in the first place. In all those examples the football programs experienced quite a bit of success afterward which is much better for the athletic dept overall so it is what is but I'd hardly call it distasteful

And maybe Iowa got a few more individual national champions because those teams didn't exist all these years, who knows?

Distasteful? I mean I'd much rather they cut men's golf or gymnastics but they were just making moves to help feed the cash cow that makes all the other non revenue sports possible in the first place. In all those examples the football programs experienced quite a bit of success afterward which is much better for the athletic dept overall so it is what is but I'd hardly call it distasteful

And maybe Iowa got a few more individual national champions because those teams didn't exist all these years, who knows?
Did the success come from more money because they we're not spending it on the minor sports or from increased TV revenue which just happened to coincide with the dropping of sports? You can almost bet your bottom dollar that they could have kept the sports and cuts administative positions and gotten the same result.

Did the success come from more money because they we're not spending it on the minor sports or from increased TV revenue which just happened to coincide with the dropping of sports? You can almost bet your bottom dollar that they could have kept the sports and cuts administative positions and gotten the same result.

You're on quite the administrative tangent the past few days. Care to relate where that's coming from? Also, what administrative positions are superfluous and how much would a school save by cutting these positions, and in turn how many sports could be saved?

You're on quite the administrative tangent the past few days. Care to relate where that's coming from? Also, what administrative positions are superfluous and how much would a school save by cutting these positions, and in turn how many sports could be saved?
I just remember the Stanfod wrestling coach stating how many administrators and assistant ADs they had when wrestling and the other sports were dropped. I know that when I was coaching D1, we had more administrators than coaches. I do not have exact numbers, but it is silly when you look at the academic advisors, and fund raisers and facitliy coordinators, it gets pretty crazy. Especially since they all need a couple assistants.

ADVERTISEMENT