ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to the big 10?

Big ten could market 4 huge matchups in four kick off slots on same weekend. $$$$$$

Iowa may rarely play Michigan or Ohio State in football.

PAC 12 blowing up is good news for Big 12.

It will, but ADs will still complain about travel expenses. There are lots of TV viewers in LA but how many are college football fans let alone B1G fans?
Doesn't make any difference. There are enough the Cable systems will have to pick up the Big 10 network. That's huge money. Whether all their viewers watch it or not.

You only upgrade facilities (to the level everyone’s upgraded them) to get players. Miami bought their quarterback. Their facilities still suck.
You're right. Conferences shouldn't try and increase their TV revenue. How dumb of an argument is that?

College Football is an arms race. It has been for awhile. That isn't changing.

Yup. I’m not even sure what the point of all of this is now.
See, we just create this one really big Conference, and then we have a Big Ten Division of the 10 pre-Penn St members, then an ACC division with the members that were in through the 70's plus maybe Miami and Florida St, then we do an SEC division...., well you get the picture.

Then we name this one really big Conference the NCA......., again, you get the picture.

Big ten could market 4 huge matchups in four kick off slots on same weekend. $$$$$$

Iowa may rarely play Michigan or Ohio State in football.

PAC 12 blowing up is good news for Big 12.
If the BIG keeps bringing in large market/ blue blood programs, how long before the Minn, Wisc, NW, Illinois and Iowas become less attractive or dispensable to the big programs? You know, the teams that have been playing each other for a hundred years or more.

How long are they going to want to share all the money with smaller market teams? That’s what pretty much brought down the Big12.

Currently the college football world revolves around
the Big Ten and SEC. Oklahoma and Texas are leaving
the Big 12 to join the SEC. UCLA & USC will join Big Ten.

It is all about the money. In fiscal year 2021, the Big Ten
paid each conference member $680 million and the Pac 10
paid each member only $344 million.

If the BIG keeps bringing in large market/ blue blood programs, how long before the Minn, Wisc, NW, Illinois and Iowas become less attractive or dispensable to the big programs? You know, the teams that have been playing each other for a hundred years or more.

How long are they going to want to share all the money with smaller market teams? That’s what pretty much brought down the Big12.
Well Wisconsin and Iowa are both top 20 in revenue for college football. I know Illinois is not too far off either

You're right. Conferences shouldn't try and increase their TV revenue. How dumb of an argument is that?

College Football is an arms race. It has been for awhile. That isn't changing.
If you’re hellbent on turning college sports into a shitty version of professional football, have at it.

How are the college sports deals working out for ESPN? Are they making a lot of money? Is the cable base increasing?

The problem for the "big" programs (and Iowa and Wisconsin at the least are top 30) is that they need somebody to beat. The biggest mistake that Texas and Oklahoma made in going to the SEC is that both programs may never be relevant again as a national power, or they'll be more like Iowa in that they maybe catch lightning in a bottle every once in awhile.

You create your super conference, somebody has to lose.

I like it, but it will be hard on the travel budget for the B1G members. Adding two quality schools to the conference.
You kidding me? The money this will bring in from the Big Ten network on the west coast will cover every school's travel budget for every sport. Competition just got a lot tougher, but the Big Ten is officially a 1 percenter now.

If you’re hellbent on turning college sports into a shitty version of professional football, have at it.

How are the college sports deals working out for ESPN? Are they making a lot of money? Is the cable base increasing?
Where did I say any of that? What I want or you want means nothing. It's the way it has evolved and is going to be like it or not. You can keep longing for the days of Bobby Bowden. Guess what they're gone.

ESPN has made their bed. They can live or die with the SEC. I hope they're left out of the new B1G TV deal.

Does this actually bring in the Southern California market, or is this like Rutgers is to NYC or Maryland is to DC?
People here in LA are very much into these teams, especially USC. I dunno the numbers but especially with Lincoln Tikey coming in I think USC's viewership would be going up as well.

Where did I say any of that? What I want or you want means nothing. It's the way it has evolved and is going to be like it or not. You can keep longing for the days of Bobby Bowden. Guess what they're gone.

ESPN has made their bed. They can live or die with the SEC. I hope they're left out of the new B1G TV deal.
Football’s already a lost cause. NLI’s turned that into a competition of the most desperate. We can’t compete with Tennessee, Texas, and Texas A&M in wildly overpaying kids.

(The kid going to Tennessee is guaranteed more money than the bottom four NFL starters, combined)

I’m concerned now with the rest of college sports.

Last edited:
People seem to get a Hardon when big ten gets more money.

min the end Iowa has never been further away from competing for a championship in football or basketball.

it is what it is but if Brian Ferentz makes $5 million or $10 million as Iowa’s next coach I don’t get all that excited.

Football’s already a lost cause. NLI’s turned that into a competition of the most desperate. We can’t compete with Tennessee, Texas, and Texas A&M in wildly overpaying kids.

I’m concerned now with the rest of college sports.
I’ve really enjoyed FSU basketball and women’s softball and soccer.

My interest in college football is a 2/10 level. Just don’t care any longer.

Iowa and Wisconsin pull their share of the weight.

You do care. You stated yourself you care at a 2/10. No caring would be a 0/10.
seth-meyers-really.gif

ADVERTISEMENT