ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to the big 10?

We're just inching closer to all of the major programs consolidating and wondering why they're splitting athletic money with schools like Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, etc.
How does this scenario even work? It's like the LIV tour for college football. Who would care?

No upsets any more? 15 teams or something are the only ones competing for the CFP? During a parity year in this super conference an 8-5 team plays a 7-6 team in the playoff?

Again, nobody cares about college football any more if the top 12 or whatever "major programs" consolidate. They'd be killing the golden goose, insanely stupid.

I just love the grant of rights we are stuck in for eternity thanks to some shortsighted “leaders” at FSU.

Is FSU locked in to the ACC until 2036? Wouldn’t all current ACC members be under that same grant of rights? Or did FSU do something unique that would prevent them from leaving and/or incurring significantly more penalty?

I just love the grant of rights we are stuck in for eternity thanks to some shortsighted “leaders” at FSU.
The entire ACC membership signed the GOR so they could get TV revenue. However ESPN has a separate Broadcast contract and no one from FSU has seen it. Which is ridiculous. If They have a walk away clause which many say they do then the GOR supposedly becomes useless/void.

I would 1) stop assuming that these two schools have never seen cold weather and 2) stop assuming that either school plays in the Midwest in November

USC and UCLA fans won’t like the weather in Kinnick in late fall 😎
Imagine having to make that sell to a recruit from Cal/Arizona/Hawaii that they'll be playing 4-5 games in each year in Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin/Ohio

Is FSU locked in to the ACC until 2036? Wouldn’t all current ACC members be under that same grant of rights? Or did FSU do something unique that would prevent them from leaving and/or incurring significantly more penalty?
All are in the GOR, which sucks because, we’ll the ACC sucks. That said if there is an exit clause, I’d be in for joining the Big 10.

The weather topic is so overplayed. At most, there are maybe 1-2 games each season that a team would likely have a chance of being cold. But, even then what might be tougher is the heat and humidity of an early-season game that these teams aren't used to. Those hot humid SOB's happen far more often than the really cold ones.

All are in the GOR, which sucks because, we’ll the ACC sucks. That said if there is an exit clause, I’d be in for joining the Big 10.
All contracts can be broken, especially if enough schools leave in a short time period. They could argue quite effectively that, in addition to the contract not living up to the expectations due to poor management, the conference in essence is now dissolved and not a viable entity that can be sustained for duration of contract. It is effective to prevent one or maybe two schools going. 6-7 schools at same time, nope.

Sidebar: add me to the list of folks really saddened by what is happening to college football due to NIL. The money being thrown around is shocking and not sustainable for many. You basically have a bunch of rich boosters / billionaire alums ponying up tens of millions for a roster that they get little financial return from. Unlike being owner of a professional team, these guys get no revenue from ticket sales nor TV/Radio nor official team merchandise nor conference (league) revenue. All they get is some dinky amount of money for using the athletes likeness that does not come close to covering the amount paid for some of the kids. So here is where things will get bad-these rich people do not like losing money. The only payout for them is a National Championship and they only give one per year. Most of these investors are going to walk away in next few years except for the ones winning or playing for National Championships. It is just not sustainable to have 40-50 schools try to get their boosters to have 20-40 million dollar rosters, every year.

Last edited:
I would 1) stop assuming that these two schools have never seen cold weather and 2) stop assuming that either school plays in the Midwest in November
It's a lot different from going Cold to Hot than Hot to Cold. Hot to Hotter (i.e. Arizona) Well that might be the worst of all.

Of course we exaggerate how cold it actually is here during football season. There have only been 5 games start in the 20's and the record was 19 degrees for the start of the Michigan game. Of course 25 with a damp wind can be cold for fans but players, not so much...
That Michigan game was cold. Beers would freeze shortly after opening them at the tailgate. I remember 2000 vs northwestern was cold and brisk as well. Those are the 2 that always standout for me.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
That Michigan game was cold. Beers would freeze shortly after opening them at the tailgate. I remember 2000 vs northwestern was cold and brisk as well. Those are the 2 that always standout for me.
The Michigan pregame Tailgate was brutal. During the game wasn't bad. Maybe because we were packed in or hypothermia already set in. I remember having to de-thaw before taking a pee.

Reactions: win4jj
All contracts can be broken, especially if enough schools leave in a short time period. They could argue quite effectively that, in addition to the contract not living up to the expectations due to poor management, the conference in essence is now dissolved and not a viable entity that can be sustained for duration of contract. It is effective to prevent one or maybe two schools going. 6-7 schools at same time, nope.

Sidebar: add me to the list of folks really saddened by what is happening to college football due to NIL. The money being thrown around is shocking and not sustainable for many. You basically have a bunch of rich boosters / billionaire alums ponying up tens of millions for a roster that they get little financial return from. Unlike being owner of a professional team, these guys get no revenue from ticket sales nor TV/Radio nor official team merchandise nor conference (league) revenue. All they get is some dinky amount of money for using the athletes likeness that does not come close to covering the amount paid for some of the kids. So here is where things will get bad-these rich people do not like losing money. The only payout for them is a National Championship and they only give one per year. Most of these investors are going to walk away in next few years except for the ones winning or playing for National Championships. It is just not sustainable to have 40-50 schools try to get their boosters to have 20-40 million dollar rosters, every year.
This is exactly right.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Will this make the B1G the new "Conference of Champions", if I may quote Bill Walton?

While I think the Big Ten had to do this and I'm pumped about away games at the Coliseum and Rose Bowl, I have to imagine this will suck for the sports that play midweek. I'm not sure if the Big Ten will do some special scheduling, but a Wednesday night basketball at 7pm CT in Los Angeles can't be a fun trip

min the end Iowa has never been further away from competing for a championship in football or basketball.
Really? Becasue I can think of several seasons in the last 10 years where Iowa was in position and had their chances to compete for a title in both sports. Hell, last season Iowa football was in the Top 5 at one point. Basketball won the Big Ten Tournament and had a good NCAA seed before crapping the bed.

Iowa has the programs, athletes, and teams to compete, we just crap the bed.

USC and UCLA fans won’t like the weather in Kinnick in late fall 😎
Yeah, they've both played in Wazzu and Seattle in crap weather. Oregon isn't exactly balmy in November either. Neither is Utah or Colorado.

I think they'll acclimate themselves.

Reactions: goldmom
While I think the Big Ten had to do this and I'm pumped about away games at the Coliseum and Rose Bowl, I have to imagine this will suck for the sports that play midweek. I'm not sure if the Big Ten will do some special scheduling, but a Wednesday night basketball at 7pm CT in Los Angeles can't be a fun trip
You flip the schedule. During the non-conference portion these schools are barnstorming all over the country. So what the west coast schools do now is play a more regional OOC schedule and do their barnstorming during the conference season.

Besides, I have a hard time worrying about a sport that complains about travel then sends their teams for a week to the Maui Invitational or Puerto Rico or the Bahamas. Plus, classes are mostly online these days. These players aren't missing much school and they have the academic resources (tutors & advisors) at their disposal. People act like being a college athlete is such a hardship. Hell no, it's a great lifestyle to get to compete and travel and play sports all while getting your education paid for, even for the volleyball team.

I much prefer the traditional rivalries, but this is inevitable at this point. Wouldn't be surprised to see us go after Stanford and Oregon as well. Hell, go to 20 teams. You can have the original 10 as one division and the newbies in the other.

And kick out Nebraska. Because f*** Nebraska and their jerk fans.

Really? Becasue I can think of several seasons in the last 10 years where Iowa was in position and had their chances to compete for a title in both sports. Hell, last season Iowa football was in the Top 5 at one point. Basketball won the Big Ten Tournament and had a good NCAA seed before crapping the bed.

The only Iowa FB team under Ferentz that had the players to win it all was 2002. I admire your stance and your fandom, but we have to be realistic. 2008 was a loaded team except for QB, and 2009 was pretty close and that team was built in the mold of those early Saban teams. But we had troubles with bad teams and Stanzi’s injury was unfortunate.

But the only one I’m giving a chance in a BCS title game is that 2002 squad.

Basketball?! We’re even further away. A long, long ways away.

They probably need a super majority of the members to bust it up, and I am not so sure they can get to that. At this point, I am guessing Clemson, FSU, Miami and Va Tech would be a group of 4 to offer to the SEC or Big 10. Maybe the North Carolina teams can band together to go to the other and break up the GOR. I am guessing something like that needs to happen or the ACC gets Notre Dame and some other marketable teams to get to 20 with a contract closer in revenue to Big 10 and SEC. Move to a Big 3 conferences of 20 each. Something probably needs to happen within the next 3-5 years or we will be playing in a different level of football.

They probably need a super majority of the members to bust it up, and I am not so sure they can get to that. At this point, I am guessing Clemson, FSU, Miami and Va Tech would be a group of 4 to offer to the SEC or Big 10. Maybe the North Carolina teams can band together to go to the other and break up the GOR. I am guessing something like that needs to happen or the ACC gets Notre Dame and some other marketable teams to get to 20 with a contract closer in revenue to Big 10 and SEC. Move to a Big 3 conferences of 20 each. Something probably needs to happen within the next 3-5 years or we will be playing in a different level of football.
Assuming the Big 10 isn't done, and 16 will turn into 24. Here is my wish list to maximize the footprint into fertile recruiting grounds.

Division 1
  1. UCLA
  2. USC
  3. Washington
  4. Stanford
  5. TCU
  6. Nebraska
Division 2
  1. Iowa
  2. Wisconsin
  3. Minnesota
  4. Notre Dame
  5. Northwestern
  6. Illinois
Division 3
  1. Michigan
  2. Michigan State
  3. Ohio State
  4. Purdue
  5. Indiana
  6. North Carolina
Division 4
  1. PSU
  2. Maryland
  3. Rutgers
  4. FSU
  5. Georgia Tech
  6. Clemson

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Assuming the Big 10 isn't done, and 16 will turn into 24. Here is my wish list to maximize the footprint into fertile recruiting grounds.

Division 1
  1. UCLA
  2. USC
  3. Washington
  4. Stanford
  5. TCU
  6. Nebraska
Division 2
  1. Iowa
  2. Wisconsin
  3. Minnesota
  4. Notre Dame
  5. Northwestern
  6. Illinois
Division 3
  1. Michigan
  2. Michigan State
  3. Ohio State
  4. Purdue
  5. Indiana
  6. North Carolina
Division 4
  1. PSU
  2. Maryland
  3. Rutgers
  4. FSU
  5. Georgia Tech
  6. Clemson

Reasonable list. I think Virginia might get some eyes on it…very respectable research school with AAU credentials. Clemson actually isn’t.

Reasonable list. I think Virginia might get some eyes on it…very respectable research school with AAU credentials. Clemson actually isn’t.
I waffled between Virginia and TCU, but thought we have an inroad to VA already with Maryland, and TCU could give u a foothold in Texas, especially the Dallas area. The other contender I was considering was Colorado, but again, preferred the Texas foothold.

I waffled between Virginia and TCU, but thought we have an inroad to VA already with Maryland, and TCU could give u a foothold in Texas. The other contender I was considering was Colorado, but again, preferred the Texas foothold.
Is TCU an AAU accredited institution?

Based on beating Penn State. A team that turned out to be bad.

to win a national title you actually have to beat teams proven to be good. You ar not going to pull of a ranking Houdini to a title.

ADVERTISEMENT