ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to the big 10?

They probably need a super majority of the members to bust it up, and I am not so sure they can get to that. At this point, I am guessing Clemson, FSU, Miami and Va Tech would be a group of 4 to offer to the SEC or Big 10. Maybe the North Carolina teams can band together to go to the other and break up the GOR. I am guessing something like that needs to happen or the ACC gets Notre Dame and some other marketable teams to get to 20 with a contract closer in revenue to Big 10 and SEC. Move to a Big 3 conferences of 20 each. Something probably needs to happen within the next 3-5 years or we will be playing in a different level of football.
If the ACC could add more teams to solidify their future don't you think they would have done that by now? Who is out there for the ACC to get that raises their profile? Notre Dame. Ok. But why would Notre Dame hitch their wagon to a conference that can't pull anyone else in of note?

I'm actually a Notre Dame fan as well, been one since I was a kid so I still follow them. You think they'll join a conference whose best expansion prospects are B12 schools like Kansas, OSU, and ISU? A few years back when ND was forced to play ISU in a bowl game there was downright disgust from their fan base for having to play the Cyclones. Then they proceeded to take ISU to the woodshed. They aren't signing up for that in conference.

I just don't see any possibilities out there for the ACC other than WVU and that isn't enough.

Frickin’ Nebraska. Proving every day that they don’t belong.
And if only we could get rid of Rutgers... As for Maryland, I am kind of ambivalent. They don't offend me, but I don't get excited about them. I would trade nebraska, rutgers, and maryland for FSU, GT, and NC in a heartbeat.

I guarantee that the Big will not take a non-AAU school. They have made it apparent.
So you are telling me we say no to Notre Dame then.

giphy.gif

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I guarantee that the Big will not take a non-AAU school. They have made it apparent.
If you are correct here are the only viable football schools (didn't include TX or TAMU), in my order of preference:
  1. North Carolina
  2. Stanford
  3. GT
  4. Virginia
  5. Washington
  6. Colorado
  7. Oregon
  8. Arizona
  9. Mizzou
  10. Pitt
  11. Utah
  12. Cal

Reactions: globalhawk
There could be some programs but not research related.

I'm selfishly hoping for Oregon to come along, as I live in southern Oregon and would love to have a 3 hour drive to a Hawk game. Hell I'm already excited I'll only have to get on one plane to watch them play at USC/UCLA. I would assume if Oregon came it would either be Washington or Stanford that would come along. As much as I love going to Cal games (beautiful stadium, sisters went there and still live there), I just can't see them getting the invite as their stadium is basically always empty.

Not graduate research

I thought I saw somewhere that Houston was close to being AAU. No idea how the process works or if this is true, but if so they could be one to watch for a few reasons: Houston is a huge market, Texas recruiting footprint, and both the football and basketball programs are doing well. I haven't seen them mentioned... but maybe they would be an option???

I thought I saw somewhere that Houston was close to being AAU. No idea how the process works or if this is true, but if so they could be one to watch for a few reasons: Houston is a huge market, Texas recruiting footprint, and both the football and basketball programs are doing well. I haven't seen them mentioned... but maybe they would be an option???
For some reason, Houston doesn't get much support from the community, at least when I lived there. The northern burbs weren't a long drive to Austin or College Station. I love their football stadium though.

I waffled between Virginia and TCU, but thought we have an inroad to VA already with Maryland, and TCU could give u a foothold in Texas, especially the Dallas area. The other contender I was considering was Colorado, but again, preferred the Texas foothold.

No one in Virginia (or DC) gives the slightest %*%* about Maryland. Having gone to Bill and Mary in Williamsburg and interned several times in DC, the interest in fans ie the number of people you see walking around with gear is Virginia Tech number one by far. UVA a pretty distant number two. Georgetown number three. West Virginia number four (It’s campus is only about 3 hours away from downtown dc). And Maryland number five with about as many “fans” as William and Mary, University of Richmond, James Madison, George Mason, and George Washington. Maryland has sucked for far too long for anyone to actually care in the DC area. And most people in DC live in Northern Virginia not Southern Maryland (metro Areas are defined all kinds of crazy ways including several that incorporate Baltimore into DC, but as long as Baltimore is seperate essentially only about a sixth of ”DC” people live in Maryland with at least half and as much as 2/3 living in Northern Virginia instead).

In Virginia proper outside of Northern Virginia bedroom communities you will not find more than a handful of Maryland “fans”. Even in the rest of Maryland like Baltimore you don’t find a ton of Maryland fans. I mean it can’t even sell out it’s piddling little 50k stadium. The biggest game recently was against West Virginia (which travels well and HAS lots of fans) and it still only had 43k in attendance. And I’d bet that was close to 50-50.

This was from 15 mins before a scheduled game of Maryland against Illinois.

“Fifteen minutes before Maryland football’s Big Ten Conference bout with Illinois on Oct. 27, 2018, the vast pockets of space in the bleachers were apparent.

For a game that prompted more than 24,000 tickets to be sold, fewer than 11,000 were scanned into Maryland Stadium. But you wouldn’t know it when an announced attendance of 30,387 flashed on the scoreboard late in the second half.”

No one in Virginia (or DC) gives the slightest %*%* about Maryland. Having gone to Bill and Mary in Williamsburg and interned several times in DC, the interest in fans ie the number of people you see walking around with gear is Virginia Tech number one by far. UVA a pretty distant number two. Georgetown number three. West Virginia number four (It’s campus is only about 3 hours away from downtown dc). And Maryland number five with about as many “fans” as William and Mary, University of Richmond, James Madison, George Mason, and George Washington. Maryland has sucked for far too long for anyone to actually care in the DC area. And most people in DC live in Northern Virginia not Southern Maryland (metro Areas are defined all kinds of crazy ways including several that incorporate Baltimore into DC, but as long as Baltimore is seperate essentially only about a sixth of ”DC” people live in Maryland with at least half and as much as 2/3 living in Northern Virginia instead).

In Virginia proper outside of Northern Virginia bedroom communities you will not find more than a handful of Maryland “fans”. Even in the rest of Maryland like Baltimore you don’t find a ton of Maryland fans. I mean it can’t even sell out it’s piddling little 50k stadium. The biggest game recently was against West Virginia (which travels well and HAS lots of fans) and it still only had 43k in attendance. And I’d bet that was close to 50-50.

This was from 15 mins before a scheduled game of Maryland against Illinois.

“Fifteen minutes before Maryland football’s Big Ten Conference bout with Illinois on Oct. 27, 2018, the vast pockets of space in the bleachers were apparent.

For a game that prompted more than 24,000 tickets to be sold, fewer than 11,000 were scanned into Maryland Stadium. But you wouldn’t know it when an announced attendance of 30,387 flashed on the scoreboard late in the second half.”

Keep this in mind as far as the “power” of Maryland as a fanbase. Maryland plays in the Big Ten and in 2018 counting scanned not “sold” tickets they had roughly 110,000 fans all season. The University of Tennessee has that many in one game. My tiny William and Mary (with an enrollment of 8,650 versus Maryland’s 41,000) playing FCS football had almost 70,000 ticketed fans in 2018 so more than half Of Maryland playing in the Big Ten.

IE….no one gives the slightest %*%* about Maryland, even in Maryland proper.

Keep this in mind as far as the “power” of Maryland as a fanbase. Maryland plays in the Big Ten and in 2018 counting scanned not “sold” tickets they had roughly 110,000 fans all season. The University of Tennessee has that many in one game. My tiny William and Mary playing FCS football had almost 70,000 ticketed fans in 2018.

IE….no one gives the slightest %*%* about Maryland, even in Maryland proper.
The traditional chant by Duke when playing Maryland was “Not our rival!”

No one’s ever wanted them.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
The traditional chant by all the Carolina schools, Duke specifically, when playing Maryland was “Not our rival!”

No one’s ever wanted them.

They had to be shocked when the Big Ten stupidly took them and Rutgers two bottom feeders no one cares about anywhere.

the-mask-award.gif

Rutgers and Maryland give the same access to DC and NYC as dating me gives you access to Scarlett Johansson. I mean….I can look up her acting agency and send them an unsolicited email asking if you can date her….

Reactions: mnole03
Notre Dame doesn’t qualify to apply as it is just an undergraduate institution. Technically you are correct. The Big has made it known that AAU affiliation is a must. Yes, Norte Dame is an exception.

The transcript that ND provides for me when I go through a background check says otherwise(?)

Hmmm. Iowa-Maryland attendance was apparently 45k+ last year.

Of course by 3rd quarter kickoff (it was 34-7 Iowa at half) most those remaining were Iowa fans, but I digress.

ADVERTISEMENT