ADVERTISEMENT

Used to think Hy-Vee Fuel Saver was a Gimmick; today in Twin Cities, spend $75, get 91 cents off/gal

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Hy-Vee is one of 8 founding partners of US Bank Stadium. The day after every Vikings game they have a huge promotion.

Today:

41 cents (Vikings scored 41 pts yesterday; spend $41 today, get 41c)
50 cents (for every $75 you spend today you get 50c)

I haven't paid for gas in 6 months. They have to charge at least.$01/gallon. 20 gallons each time.

Reactions: DooBi
I hate it. Take the money off my food.

That has no impact. Take 20 cents off, you won't notice. Put 1 cent fuel saver and you'll notice while shopping. Also, if you can take the fuel saver times 20 in your head, you can easily figure what you are paying.

That has no impact. Take 20 cents off, you won't notice. Put 1 cent fuel saver and you'll notice while shopping. Also, if you can take the fuel saver times 20 in your head, you can easily figure what you are paying.
No. You don’t understand. I don’t use hy vee gas so I shop away from hy vee now.

Reactions: Huey Grey
No. I'm not. I'm a very good shopper.
I agree with you. Aldi and Sam's Club are my go-to's but Hy-Vee each week has four or five ads running. Last week, as ONE example, they had boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.49 per pound, which was $0.50 per pound cheaper than Sam's Club and Walmart. If you simply look at the ads and buy stuff that's on sale, you never have to be overcharged at Hy-Vee. And if you are a smart shopper like yourself, you can also take advantage of $0.91 off a gallon of gas up to 20 gallons. That's free money.

In certain Cedar Rapids stores (and others I assume) they ran a similar promotion on Iowa games (1 cent per point if you spend the amount in dollars). The Illinois game was a nice windfall.

Reactions: EagleHawk
You ain't Savin sh1t with hyvee you pay 20 % more on food prices gimmick all the way why do they stop it at 20 gals. Murphy's and fleet farm are generally 8 to 10 cent a gallon cheaper anyway. At fleet farm u buy something at store get another's 4 cent a gallon off so you can get up to 14 cents a gallon off.

Last edited:
This is not true in any way shape or form.
As someone else alluded to... unless you only buy their "specials", Hy Vee is typically higher on most everything. Now we can argue quality of produce etc...but I compare prices quite a lot and they are not the cheapest retailer.

But their stores are usually immaculate and the employees are top notch, more often than not.

I purchased $108 of groceries Sunday. Got 2 $10 items I regularly buy for free because they were mispriced. Down to $88. Had $8 worth of coupons to get down to $80. $ 0.50 for every $75 spent for fuel saver. Brings it down to $70. There's my 30% and more.

IKR? I'm a poor. I even don't like the $900 more that I have to pay taxes this year.

I shop mostly at HyVee, but I go to Wal-mart if I need Automotive or Hardware stuff. HyVee might be a little more expensive, but I've never really noticed a HUGE difference.

As noted above, HyVee is cleaner, better staffed, and the customer base is a little less offensive to the senses. I believe it is also employee owned, which is reason enough to pay a little bit more.

My Parents usually fill up their 19 gallon tank for under $1 per gallon. Mom is retired and has time to comparison shop and plan her purchases accordingly, so they really take advantage of it.

I’ve done this a few times, there was like 10 cents fuel saver for frozen fruit. So id buy 20 frozen fruits and get $2.00 off a gallon- 20 gallon gas tank that is $40 by stocking up on frozen fruit. Same thing with other non-perishable goods, just stock up on them when there is a fuel saver deal. Frozen fruit great for health smoothies. As long it’s something I would normally get if it was on sale or not Ill just zero in on those fuel saver deals.

Reactions: hawksurprize
As someone else alluded to... unless you only buy their "specials", Hy Vee is typically higher on most everything. Now we can argue quality of produce etc...but I compare prices quite a lot and they are not the cheapest retailer.

But their stores are usually immaculate and the employees are top notch, more often than not.

Hy-Vee doesn't try to be the cheapest place in town. They are about the experience for shoppers. Music, clean stores, great service, and if you are smart, great great deals.

Water was 2 for $7. Get 20¢ off per gallon each. I get 18 gallons which is $3.60. Soooo, I bought 12 cases.

I purchased $108 of groceries Sunday. Got 2 $10 items I regularly buy for free because they were mispriced. Down to $88. Had $8 worth of coupons to get down to $80. $ 0.50 for every $75 spent for fuel saver. Brings it down to $70. There's my 30% and more.
But $20 of that “savings” was due to a mistake that you can’t expect every single time you shop, so your numbers here are misleading.

It gets people to buy things just for “saving” money at the pump. It’s a shell game, and as someone else pointed out, it’s a loss leader.

Reactions: tigerguy_
It's only worth it if you can combine both food savings and fuel savers. Usually, those don't necessarily align with my shopping habits.

I get 6 prescriptions per month filled at Hy Vee. So I get 30 cents off whether I buy groceries there or not.

I get groceries at 3 stores...all depends on what I'm buying and when. Hy Vee is closest, small trips that I need to crank out fast, I go there. But I also buy certain items at Walmart and Fareway because they offer large savings over Hy Vee on a select few items.

I'm heading grocery shopping shortly. I'll hit up all 3, and am scanning ads as I type this.

I don't think I've ever gone out of my way to buy something I already wasn't going to buy, or spent a certain amount to get money off my gas. But, if the things I'm getting have a couple cents off or I spent 100 bucks anyway, explain the downside to me. As far as comps to Aldis or Fareway, I prefer to shop in grocery stores that don't smell like ass and are big enough to not play bumper cars between aisles. I'll pay the premium.

But $20 of that “savings” was due to a mistake that you can’t expect every single time you shop, so your numbers here are misleading.

It gets people to buy things just for “saving” money at the pump. It’s a shell game, and as someone else pointed out, it’s a loss leader.

No. It doesn't get me to buy things for saving money at the pump. I shop only on bonus days and never buy anything extra to save money. OK, One time I bought 6 extra Snickers to get me an extra $0.50 off. $6 to save $10. It takes a little preparation, but is easy to do.

No. It doesn't get me to buy things for saving money at the pump. I shop only on bonus days and never buy anything extra to save money. OK, One time I bought 6 extra Snickers to get me an extra $0.50 off. $6 to save $10. It takes a little preparation, but is easy to do.
Well, Snickers I can understand, those things are awesome.

Reactions: tigerguy_
Hy-Vee doesn't try to be the cheapest place in town. They are about the experience for shoppers. Music, clean stores, great service, and if you are smart, great great deals.
Compared to a lot of grocery stores out here, for the prices, HyVee is a very nice chain.

In Oregon, Safeway has comparable prices, maybe a bit more expensive, try to be really nice but they're all ghetto AF. If something goes down, it's typically near a Safeway.

WinCo is a lot like Fareway. No frills and they don't try to be super nice, but they are very reliable.

if people know prices, its easy to save a lot of money at HyVee. Luckily in the Twin Cities we have Aldi, Cub, Costco, Fresh Thyme, Hyvee, Sams Club, Super Target, Trader Joes, Walmart, and lord know who else I forgot. LOL There is so much competition in grocery here its nuts.

As I stated above, last week HyVee had boneless, skinless chicken breasts 50c/lb cheaper than Walmart or Sam Club. I got just over 20 lbs so that my subtotal was as least $30.

So, in comparison to Walmart/Sams Club, I saved:

* Just over $10 on that one item

* 30 cents/gallon, up to 20 gal, since I spent $30.

And Hy-Vee is great; you can call ahead to the Meat Dept and they will set aside a case for you for pick up

Its interesting; people love Hy Vee up here because the customer service blows them away and the prices are competitive. Historically if you wanted customer service at a grocery store in the Twin Cities you would have had to pay a lot more than you would at Hy Vee or Cub Foods.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT