ADVERTISEMENT

Using a VPN to stream out of market regional sports network

El Simbolo

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2002
We're finally cutting the cord (actually ditching our satellite), and are evaluating ways to get Cardinals games on Bally Sports Midwest in Iowa City via a streaming service. It appears are only choices are fubo and DirecTV Stream. I think with fubo you can get Bally Midwest up here without a VPN. But DirecTV Stream lists the Chicago networks as the included regional sports networks and they told me there's no way to pay extra to add Bally Midwest. And the Cardinals aren't currently available on Bally's own separate streaming app subscription.

An article mentioned using ExpressVPN to simulate that we're in the St Louis market, so that DirecTV Stream will allow us to see the Cardinals instead of the Cubs. And then it sounds like if we turn off the VPN, we'll be able to get our local channels again instead of St Louis area affiliates.

Has anyone tried this with ExpressVPN or another VPN service? Did it work? Thanks!

Reactions: Bonerfarts
Related question... one of the services we're looking at is fubo, but it doesn't have TNT, TBS, or TRU for March Madness. Max says that "select games" from the NCAA tournament will stream on Max. Has anyone confirmed if "select" means all of the TNT, TBS, TRU games, but none of the CBS games? That's what I'm hoping. And has anyone signed up for the B/R Max add-on? It says its free for a promotional period, but they won't tell me how long the promotional period lasts - hopefully through the NCAA tourney :) Thanks again!

Last edited:
When I had MLB.tv circa 2013-2015 I would use a VPN to watch games in my market. Basically set my location to another area.

I've never used it through a streaming device or platform directly on my tv. Usually had to stream it through my computer and cast it to my tv.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT