ADVERTISEMENT

Using Avis quickpass or similar car rental programs where you skip the counter

Tenacious E

HB Legend
Dec 4, 2001
As part of a rewards program, I was given "president's club" status for Avis. If you have a reservation with a certain automobile class, do you literally just get off the plane, walk over to the car rental company, and then pick one in your class and only interface with the company when you checkout through the gate?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
As part of a rewards program, I was given "president's club" status for Avis. If you have a reservation with a certain automobile class, do you literally just get off the plane, walk over to the car rental company, and then pick one in your class and only interface with the company when you checkout through the gate?
Wife has it and that’s supposed to be how it works, pretty much. But I’d say at least half the time they screw something up and we end up standing in line anyways. The last time, we had to get in line because they ran out of vehicles. Then by the time we were through the line, they were still short on vehicles. After an hour and a half (we had our two toddlers with us that were missing their nap) they gave us an F150 which was an upgrade from the sedan we were supposed to get.

I was at DFW recently and had a reservation with Hertz and didn't have to stand in line. The electronic board had my name on it and just went to the area listed and got in a car. Super easy

If your license or default payment is expired, or if you don't have a default payment set to your account, or if you book less than 24 hours in advance, you'll probably have to get in line.

I use Enterprise because my work as a corporate account, I walk out to the parking lot they scan my phone and I pick out a car and drive away.

Easy peazy

Reactions: Tenacious E
Yeah - I have that through National. You walk out, pick out a car/suv in the rows that are designated, and "check out" when you go through the exit tollbooth. They scan the car, take your license and payment, and get you on the way. Sometimes they have better cars for you to pick from - like I usually book a small SUV and end up with something larger like a Ford Edge or something.

Wife has it and that’s supposed to be how it works, pretty much. But I’d say at least half the time they screw something up and we end up standing in line anyways. The last time, we had to get in line because they ran out of vehicles. Then by the time we were through the line, they were still short on vehicles. After an hour and a half (we had our two toddlers with us that were missing their nap) they gave us an F150 which was an upgrade from the sedan we were supposed to get.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I had a similar nightmare experience the last time I flew into Charlotte...

I have been in National’s version of this for around 25 years. It has been very nice not having to deal with the counter.

Budget has the same thing. Fastbreak.

You’ll get a text, Zone 1 or whatever, and walk out and choose a car from those spots. Open the link in the text, take a pic of the plate and head to the exit. The attendant will check your license and you’re on your way in a minute. Easy enough.

I used to have Heryz Gold Star or President’s club or whatever and it was the same thing, just more selection.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I had a similar nightmare experience the last time I flew into Charlotte...

I had to use Avis in Charlotte on a Monday last October because I made the trip at the last minute and National was sold out. I had to stand in two long lines that took over an hour just to get a car. I noticed that the club members also had to stand in a very long line of their own.

• Sad
I pretty much have them all.... Mostly use Budget Fast Break as they usually have the best price on Costco. You don't have to pay or have any status.

I had to use Avis in Charlotte on a Monday last October because I made the trip at the last minute and National was sold out. I had to stand in two long lines that took over an hour just to get a car. I noticed that the club members also had to stand in a very long line of their own.
Iontelevision GIF by ION

Have had this for probably about 10 years now with National and it's very convenient, haven't had to talk to anyone at a desk yet. I fly into DFW every few months or so to visit parents and National has a pretty big lot there, pay for a full size car for access to it and I always drive out with a SUV. Just hand license to clerk at exit booth, they scan car, confirm payment and that's that. No listening to anyone trying to sell you more insurance and other options. Process is the same at every airport with that option, all are different in types and number of vehicles available but I've yet to hit an instance where I reserved a car and none were available when landed. Closest I came was last year and was delayed getting to Denver. They were down to a couple of Ford Fusion's and Chrysler Pacifica's.

Have had this for probably about 10 years now with National and it's very convenient, haven't had to talk to anyone at a desk yet. I fly into DFW every few months or so to visit parents and National has a pretty big lot there, pay for a full size car for access to it and I always drive out with a SUV. Just hand license to clerk at exit booth, they scan car, confirm payment and that's that. No listening to anyone trying to sell you more insurance and other options. Process is the same at every airport with that option, all are different in types and number of vehicles available but I've yet to hit an instance where I reserved a car and none were available when landed. Closest I came was last year and was delayed getting to Denver. They were down to a couple of Ford Fusion's and Chrysler Pacifica's.
Thanks guys. I suspected this is how it would play out it is just weird doing something like this for the first time.

Yeah - I have that through National. You walk out, pick out a car/suv in the rows that are designated, and "check out" when you go through the exit tollbooth. They scan the car, take your license and payment, and get you on the way. Sometimes they have better cars for you to pick from - like I usually book a small SUV and end up with something larger like a Ford Edge or something.

This. Emerald aisle is quick and easy.

Thanks guys. I suspected this is how it would play out it is just weird doing something like this for the first time.
Yeah., hopping in a car and driving off without someone telling you which car to get is a little weird at first. I was afraid I'd have gotten the wrong one, or skipped a step, and someone was going to ding me for it. It's a good way to rent cars though. WAY better than standing in a rental line.

I did with Alamo in LA.

Was awesome.

Yep. Avis/Budget is notorious for running out of cars though.

Hertz Gold Club for the win.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whatever it takes to not stand in that darn line, do it and do it now! I lost a chunk of vacation last summer in CO because they had 22 registers and ONE clerk at the Denver AVIS counter and a line out the door.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whatever it takes to not stand in that darn line, do it and do it now! I lost a chunk of vacation last summer in CO because they had 22 registers and ONE clerk at the Denver AVIS counter and a line out the door.

Travel hint if you happen to be getting a car from somewhere you don't have status. This doesn't work every time but if you have this problem again - just bypass the main counter and go straight to the hut out in the lot where the cars are. Chances are someone is working it and they can book you into your reservation just like the main counter. Give them some BS about you thought you used the online data upload method to skip the regular counter. Or you thought you were Emerald or whatever. Most of the time they'll just book you to get you moving.

Also, take photos of your rental car the. You return it. Time stamp and save for 6 months. National came after me for rental car damages 2 months after a return. I had proof I brought it back with no damage.

Also inspect your rentals before you leave the rental lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT