ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT Copa America Friendlies

Hawkfan_08

HB Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
USA vs Colombia set up in a very pro-Colombia environment in Washington DC. Not many US fans in the sea of yellow.

Huge test as Colombia is on fire. Both teams ranked pretty high. Game starts after the National Anthem.

The defense is dreadful, but that second goal was pretty awesome. And how are we so outnumbered in our own country. When I first turned the game on I figured it was in Colombia. It’s not.

Because there are about 5 or 6 cities in the US that this wouldn't happen in. Washington DC has never been one.

The second goal was good for them but it all started waaaaay before that with a terrible giveaway by Tim Ream standing on the ball. That led to the corner. That led to a poor clearance which led to the goal.

Because there are about 5 or 6 cities in the US that this wouldn't happen in. Washington DC has never been one.

The second goal was good for them but it all started waaaaay before that with a terrible giveaway by Tim Ream standing on the ball. That led to the corner. That led to a poor clearance which led to the goal.

So, more Colombians live in DC? I’m still not following how the us is so freaking outnumbered right here in America.

And yes, the defense has severely lacked in the effort department. That first goal was absurd and they damn near gave up another there at the end.

So, more Colombians live in DC? I’m still not following how the us is so freaking outnumbered right here in America.

And yes, the defense has severely lacked in the effort department. That first goal was absurd and they damn near gave up another there at the end.

Not necessarily that. We have tons of soccer fans on the East coast. Not many care about the US. New York/NJ, Boston, Philly. Doesn't matter, the crowd would look the same. Outside of playing *some* CONCACAF nations, it would look the same for any away team. Football is life for other nations and they will go anywhere if living here to watch their home nation.

Not necessarily that. We have tons of soccer fans on the East coast. Not many care about the US. New York/NJ, Boston, Philly. Doesn't matter, the crowd would look the same. Outside of playing *some* CONCACAF nations, it would look the same for any away team. Football is life for other nations and they will go anywhere if living here to watch their home nation.

Well, **** them for living here and not adopting the us as their team. Go back to Colombia if you love it so much.

And this defense is atrocious. Almost gave up another one.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Well, **** them for living here and not adopting the us as their team. Go back to Colombia if you love it so much.

And this defense is atrocious. Almost gave up another one.

It's not only Colombia though. Litetally pick any country in the world not in the Middle East (all of Asia maybe), Australia, Caribbean Islands. It's a US soccer problem and our fans.

Games have been pretty successful in the Midwest (not Chicago, anywhere else), Northwest and a bit in the Southeast when not playing Latin teams.

That goal was way too easy. Sheesh.

Cardosa giveaway. It is amazing how bad we were punished on all 3 goals.

As Colombia hits the post again off of a giveaway.

I can't figure out if this second group isn't moving off the ball or if we are just super slow. It is 100% the last thing but I don't know or it is compounded. We were brutal today out of the back.

This is ridiculous. What an embarrassing effort ever since getting to 2-1. Just awful.

My worthless ratings:

Turner: 4.5- made one good save. You could see he had more of an emphasis of coming out and trying to play with his feet which led to a hand ball out of the box and several miss-hit balls (partially on the backs). Gave up 5 goals and gave up 1 to the near post and one he didn't keep his hands down.

Robinson: 5- had some good balls going forward but the 1st goal was directly on him and struggled most of the game. Had some bad touches that led to turnovers.

Ream: 4.5- might have been one of the worst games I've seen him play. Slow on the ball. Second goal came off of a terrible give away.

Richards: 5.5 can't be higher because we gave up 5 goals and he didn't have the cleanest of play going forward. Best of the CBS though.

Scally: 6 I'll give him an average. Defended their best player pretty well. Didn't get as involved as Robinson going forward.

Johnny: 7- would have been higher had he not given the ball away leading directly to the 4th goal. He was best in possession

Reactions: luvmyhawks
It kind of bothers me that Americans root for the country they ran away from and not the US.

I will be at the Paraguay game in KC, in a few weeks so I am interested to see what that crowd looks like.
I will be there in KC as well. My son's and mine dream to watch the USMNT. Although if they play like this...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkfan_08
McKinnie: 6.5 broke up play and helped win possession. Didn't do a ton else and disappeared at times.

Reyna: 5- totally disappeared from the game. Not even sure how many touches he had. Plus that free kick? Wow...

Pulisic: 6.5- fairly dangerous. Hit the post. Okay going forward.

Balogun: 6.5- had an assist and a great look on goal saved off the line.

Weah: 6.5- for the goal only. Gave up another horrible giveaway leading to a goal. Didn't do much in the game.

Bench... ugh

CCV: 4- -3 on the +/- tonight. Added to the list of turnovers and lazy play. Maybe his worst 30 min in a US jersey.

Wright: 6 looked good the first 20 he was in. Created dangerous chances and helped create the goal.

LdlT: 5.5- didn't do anything to change the game.

Pepi: NR- in for 10 minutes and I didn't even notice him.

If anyone else came on I stopped watching after the 4th goal knowing the 5th was probably coming.

Berhalter should be canned. Turner should never play another minute for the national team. Whatever he previously had in making saves is now gone.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Nobody? Dang.

USA tied 1-1 at half.
A terrible giveaway by Turner followed by slow recovery put Brazil up.

Pulisic with a great answer off a free kick.

When I went to the Iowa-MD women's bball game my son and I stayed at the Marriott on the edge of campus. He was coughing so we drove about a mile to a CVS. You would have sworn we were in a Latin American city. Traffic lanes were a suggestion, decor and ads on store windows looked just like you'd see in Guatemala city or Caracas, road cones/construction everywhere, young male Latinos hanging out in groups on the street, almost all signage in Spanish, you name it. It felt like Latin American cities I've been to, and it was 1 Mile from the college park Marriott.

So I shouldn't be surprised I guess.

Turner must have realized his job was on the line tonight.

He made some good saves and was still outperformed by Becker. The save on Pulisic, Aaronson and if he got any of Musa's shot, those were all 100% goals.

Turner also had that baffling give away. He still played much better tonight than last game.

Overall, we actually looked like we had life today. Much better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT