ADVERTISEMENT

USWNT receive $380K/player due to USMNT advancing at World Cup…

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
…which just happens to be 3x + more than the $110K they got for winning the whole thing in 2019.

Which camp are you in?

You going to get fired up and whine about how big of a joke it is that a bunch of loud mouth lesbos got that money while sitting on their ass?

Or are you glad they’re finally getting what they deserve as the most popular team in the country over the last couple decades and the men are finally pulling their end of the bargain?

I bet I can guess how each of you are going to land!

colbert-popcorn-popcorn.gif

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Kinda the same way I feel about all athletes' salaries:

They have a short window for earning, so they should all get as much as they can, while they can.

Reactions: TennNole17
The men’s team will play their remaining games for PKs. Enjoy that.
Cool.  Hope they do, that means they are in the game.

I love the game, i hope my daughter plays. There is a reason dudes who run 4.3 forties make millions in the NFL and dudes who run 4.7 forties work 9 to 5.

I don’t know I think Berhalter showed a bit of his cards by having an aggressive team for 75 minutes of the matches. He should make it 90 minutes and keep Shaq Moore at the concession stand
I would love for that to be the case, but I think they’ll treat the Netherlands like England and play for the draw and ultimately PKs. It’s probably their best bet.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
This wasn’t forced by anyone, the men lobbied for this, and ultimately signed the CBA with the USSF.

The amount of bonus money lost for the USMNT players is almost a rounding error. Everyone on the USMNT is making at least a couple mill a season at their club. The calculation was that the good PR was worth it. Mbappe made an extra million bucks at the last World Cup that they won over seven matches. He gets more than 1 million dollars every single match PSG plays.

Reactions: TennNole17
Give them all the money. They are generating plenty of it for others.
And, the better they are, the more everyone makes when people want to watch them.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
This is really nothing new for the USWNT. They are accustomed to getting paid when they don't play games.

Ultimately it’s all relative. The ladies have been the bigger total draw by numbers in the WC than the gentlemen the last couple decades. Helps to play in a few more games and win.
In the US maybe, but the men's WC draws and generates money globally. That's why the men get paid more. The USWNT's beef is not with USA Soccer. It's with women all over the planet for not supporting their sport.

Poster responses so far check out, positive and negative.

giphy.gif

Glad to see we got the U17 game in here. No Rapinoe mention yet though - I am disappoint. We’ve got time though. Most of our BFE Iowa heavy hitters haven’t chimed in yet.

giphy.gif

Glad to see we got the U17 game in here. No Rapinoe mention yet though - I am disappoint. We’ve got time though. Most of our BFE Iowa heavy hitters haven’t chimed in yet.

Try the poll function next time.

200.gif

I used to be against the whole thing because they just don't pull in the same revenue as the men. However someone on FB made a legit argument that I can really see on this level.

The argument is basically that the players don't get paid for the revenue they bring in but get paid to just play, win, and represent the country. His point was fair in that if you look at just the men's team the star players who play in every single game pull in the same paycheck as the 3rd choice players who never come off the bench.

Therefore the argument about revenue isn't the proper argument simply because the men earn the same amount as one another regardless of ability or the ability to draw crowds.

Reactions: mnole03
In the US maybe, but the men's WC draws and generates money globally. That's why the men get paid more. The USWNT's beef is not with USA Soccer. It's with women all over the planet for not supporting their sport.

True but the thing that may have convinced me the other way is that Christian Pulisic pulls the same check as Sean Johnson who may never see the pitch in the WC. So this isn't the same as pro-teams where players are paid theoretically based on their revenue draw and their ability to help the team win.

PAY THEM! They had a shite contract to start with, got paid but outperformed the expectations and their peers. In any other job they wouldn't have to go to court to prove their success demanded more salary.

Next up is for FIFA to rebalance the prize money between the mens and women's.

I would love for that to be the case, but I think they’ll treat the Netherlands like England and play for the draw and ultimately PKs. It’s probably their best bet.
I'd come out like they did against England... but at the 65-75 mark I'd sub in Reyna, de la Torre and Aaronson to keep the pressure up vs subbing on D and bunkering. The Netherlands have talent, but they aren't scary. I think England is a better team and we looked better most of that game playing aggressively.

Reactions: mnole03
True but the thing that may have convinced me the other way is that Christian Pulisic pulls the same check as Sean Johnson who may never see the pitch in the WC. So this isn't the same as pro-teams where players are paid theoretically based on their revenue draw and their ability to help the team win.
Pulisic is free to bring in all the extra money he wants in endorsements. The vast majority of Americans had never heard of him or anyone else on the team before he scored that goal. I would dare say that is still true, but his marketability has certainly improved.

Reactions: funksouljon
Pulisic is free to bring in all the extra money he wants in endorsements. The vast majority of Americans had never heard of him or anyone else on the team before he scored that goal. I would dare say that is still true, but his marketability has certainly improved.

Yes but they were always free to do that and endorsement money is separate from the money they get paid by US Soccer.

Honestly I think you would be surprised at how may Americans have heard of Christian Pulisic. A third of all Americans consider themselves to be soccer fans. Given that he's the most high profile American player most likely a lot of non-soccer fans have also heard of him.

I mean I can name a few baseball players even though I never watch baseball.

Yes but they were always free to do that and endorsement money is separate from the money they get paid by US Soccer.

Honestly I think you would be surprised at how may Americans have heard of Christian Pulisic. A third of all Americans consider themselves to be soccer fans. Given that he's the most high profile American player most likely a lot of non-soccer fans have also heard of him.

I mean I can name a few baseball players even though I never watch baseball.

The majority demographic on HORT is too old. A LOT of people under 45 know who Christian Pulisic is.

giphy.gif

I think I'll make a bingo card for the next thread

• Love
Reactions: Hawki97
ADVERTISEMENT