ADVERTISEMENT

Utah CEO and His Daughter Dead After Bulldozer Falls on Their Car

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002

Utah CEO and His Daughter Dead After Bulldozer Falls on Their Car :eek:

E! News
Tue, July 9, 2024 at 12:00 PM CDT·2 min read

Utah CEO Richard David Hendrickson and 16-Year-Old Daughter Dead After Bulldozer Falls on Their Car

A tragic accident has taken the lives of a father and daughter.

Richard David Hendrickson, 57, and his daughter Sally, 16, died July 6 after a bulldozer fell on their car, Utah Highway Patrol announced in a news release.
According to the agency, a tow truck carrying a mini bulldozer “was negotiating a right-hand curve when the bulldozer broke free, sliding off the driver’s side.” Richard and Sally were passengers traveling in the opposite direction in a GMC pickup towing a boat.

"The bulldozer landed on the GMC pickup,” the release continued, noting that while two other adult passengers were transported with non-life-threatening injuries, “The adult male driver and one juvenile female passenger were pronounced dead on the scene.”

Though the Utah Highway Patrol only shared Richard’s identity, his company Lifetime Products confirmed both he and Sally were killed in the accident.
“It is with profound sadness that we announce the tragic and sudden passing of our CEO and President, Richard David Hendrickson in a car accident,” the company wrote. “This heartbreaking incident also claimed the life of one of his daughters, Sally.”

The statement noted that Richard began as a welder in the company and worked his way up to President and CEO “due to his extraordinary talents and abilities.”

Sally, Richard David Hendrickson

Instagram / Richard David Hendrickson

“Richard was more than a company leader - he was also a visionary and a friend to many within our business and the wider community,” Lifetime Products continued. “He was truly special in his ability to respectfully engage others, regardless of their position or level within the supply chain. His ability to connect with people bound all of his other talents together in a very special way.”

Founder Barry Mower also noted within the statement the personal impact Richard’s death bore for him.

“He was one of my most trusted and cherished friends and will be sorely missed,” Barry said. “Lifetime will not be the same without him. My love and heartfelt sympathy go out to his dear family.”

Per the company, Richard and Sally are survived by Richard’s wife and three other children.

Utah Governor Spencer Cox also mourned the deaths of Richard and Sally.

“Richard was a friend and incredible leader,” he wrote on X July 7. “We are heartbroken by his tragic passing with his daughter Sally. We mourn with the surviving members of his family and pray they will find comfort and healing.”

There are so many stupid ways to die.
Same thing happened to a HS ex-girlfriend of mine, on a curve and a darn truck somehow wound up on top of her car, crushing/killing her. :(

------------

WOMAN DIES IN 5-CAR ACCIDENT​

By
PUBLISHED: April 23, 1998 at 4:00 a.m. | UPDATED: July 30, 2021 at 5:26 a.m.

A Leesburg woman was killed and two people were injured Tuesday night in a five-vehicle collision in Sumter County, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Troopers said former Leesburg High School cheerleader Kristen Hammond Schaeffer, 21, died in the crash on State Road 44 at County Road 475, west of Wildwood.

“It’s really, really sad,” said Schaeffer’s father, David Hammond. “Life deals us some strong blows sometimes.”
Michele Marsh, 35, of Bushnell, who was driving a different vehicle, was treated at Citrus Memorial Hospital Tuesday night. Also injured was Jesse D. Anderson, 34, of Lady Lake, who was treated at Leesburg Regional Medical Center.

According to a highway patrol report, the accident occurred at 6:39 p.m. as an eastbound 1982 GMC truck, driven by Anderson, stopped and attempted a left turn from S.R. 44 onto C.R. 475.

Another eastbound vehicle – a 1976 International truck – failed to stop and veered into oncoming traffic, according to the report. The International truck, driven by Walter C. Taylor, 55, of Winter Garden, hit the GMC truck, the report states.
Taylor’s vehicle then hit Marsh’s 1993 Saturn, which was headed west, and also collided with Schaeffer’s 1991 Honda which was traveling west, the report states. Marsh’s car then collided with another 1993 Saturn, which was traveling south on C.R. 475. The Saturn was driven by Linda Latham of Bushnell.

The International truck came to rest in some woods on top of Schaeffer’s car, trapping the driver, the report states. The highway patrol investigation into the crash is continuing.

Schaeffer worked in skin care for the Plastic Surgery Center of Lake County in Tavares, where she had been employed since June 1996.
“She was the sunshine of the office,” said Linda Morgan, office manager. “Today is a dark day in the office and will be for a while.”
Morgan said Schaeffer was beautiful but was always the first one to compliment others. Schaeffer, Morgan said, always found the beauty in a person whether it was physical, their personality or they way they dressed.

“If you ever met her, you never forgot her,” Hammond said of his daughter. “She was a gorgeous, gorgeous thing. She looked like Barbie.”
Hammond said Schaeffer had a “bubbly personality” that brimmed over to all aspects of her life. “She never met a stranger in her life,” Hammond said. “She was a person who was very active in the community. She had a real positive outlook on life.”

She was born in Leesburg and always lived there. She was a member of the First Baptist Church of Leesburg. She graduated from Leesburg High School, where she was a cheerleader, in 1994. She also graduated from Lake County Area Vocational-Technical Center, Eustis, in 1995. Survivors include her husband, Eric; stepdaughter, Caitlin; parents, David and Sharon Hammond of Leesburg; sister, Jennifer Culberson of Fruitland Park; brother, Brian Hammond of Leesburg; grandparents, Mr. and Mr. Robert Hammond of Fruitland Park, and Mr. and Mrs. Dean Thornton of Orlando.

Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Page-Theus-Blanchard Funeral Home, 914 W. Main St., Leesburg. Services will be at 2 p.m. Friday at the First Baptist Church of Leesburg.

Burial will follow at Hillcrest Memorial Cemetery, Leesburg.

• Sad
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
That is some Final Destination stuff there. I recall onetime in my Omaha days a cement truck had an unbalanced mix happen and fell over sideways at a light on a car, killing the driver.
Ex-sister-in law (no pic) was coming up to a toll booth on the interstate one time. Changed lanes at the last second to a less busy booth. A truck slammed into the car in the lane she would have been in and burst into flames. Crazy stuff.

Same thing happened to a HS ex-girlfriend of mine, on a curve and a darn truck somehow wound up on top of her car, crushing/killing her. :(

------------

WOMAN DIES IN 5-CAR ACCIDENT​

By
PUBLISHED: April 23, 1998 at 4:00 a.m. | UPDATED: July 30, 2021 at 5:26 a.m.

A Leesburg woman was killed and two people were injured Tuesday night in a five-vehicle collision in Sumter County, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Troopers said former Leesburg High School cheerleader Kristen Hammond Schaeffer, 21, died in the crash on State Road 44 at County Road 475, west of Wildwood.

“It’s really, really sad,” said Schaeffer’s father, David Hammond. “Life deals us some strong blows sometimes.”
Michele Marsh, 35, of Bushnell, who was driving a different vehicle, was treated at Citrus Memorial Hospital Tuesday night. Also injured was Jesse D. Anderson, 34, of Lady Lake, who was treated at Leesburg Regional Medical Center.

According to a highway patrol report, the accident occurred at 6:39 p.m. as an eastbound 1982 GMC truck, driven by Anderson, stopped and attempted a left turn from S.R. 44 onto C.R. 475.

Another eastbound vehicle – a 1976 International truck – failed to stop and veered into oncoming traffic, according to the report. The International truck, driven by Walter C. Taylor, 55, of Winter Garden, hit the GMC truck, the report states.
Taylor’s vehicle then hit Marsh’s 1993 Saturn, which was headed west, and also collided with Schaeffer’s 1991 Honda which was traveling west, the report states. Marsh’s car then collided with another 1993 Saturn, which was traveling south on C.R. 475. The Saturn was driven by Linda Latham of Bushnell.

The International truck came to rest in some woods on top of Schaeffer’s car, trapping the driver, the report states. The highway patrol investigation into the crash is continuing.

Schaeffer worked in skin care for the Plastic Surgery Center of Lake County in Tavares, where she had been employed since June 1996.
“She was the sunshine of the office,” said Linda Morgan, office manager. “Today is a dark day in the office and will be for a while.”
Morgan said Schaeffer was beautiful but was always the first one to compliment others. Schaeffer, Morgan said, always found the beauty in a person whether it was physical, their personality or they way they dressed.

“If you ever met her, you never forgot her,” Hammond said of his daughter. “She was a gorgeous, gorgeous thing. She looked like Barbie.”
Hammond said Schaeffer had a “bubbly personality” that brimmed over to all aspects of her life. “She never met a stranger in her life,” Hammond said. “She was a person who was very active in the community. She had a real positive outlook on life.”

She was born in Leesburg and always lived there. She was a member of the First Baptist Church of Leesburg. She graduated from Leesburg High School, where she was a cheerleader, in 1994. She also graduated from Lake County Area Vocational-Technical Center, Eustis, in 1995. Survivors include her husband, Eric; stepdaughter, Caitlin; parents, David and Sharon Hammond of Leesburg; sister, Jennifer Culberson of Fruitland Park; brother, Brian Hammond of Leesburg; grandparents, Mr. and Mr. Robert Hammond of Fruitland Park, and Mr. and Mrs. Dean Thornton of Orlando.

Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Page-Theus-Blanchard Funeral Home, 914 W. Main St., Leesburg. Services will be at 2 p.m. Friday at the First Baptist Church of Leesburg.

Burial will follow at Hillcrest Memorial Cemetery, Leesburg.
That's terrible. My grandpa was killed in a head-on collision on a two-lane highway in 1998. Guy on the other side just stopped paying attention for a while. That asshole walked away fine, of course.

• Sad
Reactions: alaskanseminole
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have .....something something.

My grade school principal died when he was following a car carrier on HWY 218 (now 965) when a car broke free and fell on top of his vehicle. This was back in the day. I have an aversion to following car carriers because of that accident.

Just looking at the local news, freak accidents, typically car crashes happen every week.

Two pastors died in a vehicle I think it was yesterday. Another person on a motorcycle Guy driving a semi died after a truck ran a stop sign. Heck a lady in my office lost her husband and daughter in a car wreck.

The roads are scary nowadays.

Freaks me out a bit because I've just seen so many implausibly reckless/dumb people driving lately.

On the 4th I was on the road going 5 over the speed limit I had 2 cars come up behind me. One passed me on the left like you are suppose to. . . The other car apparently didn't want to wait for the guy to pass me on the left or maybe he was just racing him and he decided to use the threshold of the road on the right to pass me. So I had 2 cars passing me at the same time on a road that only had 2 lanes going my direction.

Then later I made a left turn in a place that had 2 left turn lanes. I was in the right one which put me in the right lane after the turn. The car next to me for some reason turned not into the left lane beside me but turned into the wrong direction and was driving straight into oncoming traffic.

Just looking at the local news, freak accidents, typically car crashes happen every week.

Two pastors died in a vehicle I think it was yesterday. Another person on a motorcycle Guy driving a semi died after a truck ran a stop sign. Heck a lady in my office lost her husband and daughter in a car wreck.

The roads are scary nowadays.

They always have been. If a person doesn't live to old age, the most likely cause of death is car accident.

So bizarre. How does the bulldozer come undone
The insurance company that holds the policy for the tow company would be wise to settle this quickly. I’m going to go with improperly secured load and driving too fast for the road conditions since the article says the accident was on a curve.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Seems a little weird when commentng about your daughter's death.
I agree from the outside looking in, but he's actually not wrong. She looked like a dadgum barbie doll, one of the physically prettiest people I've ever seen. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of her. I guess because I knew her and heard that comment often it never stood out to me. You're not wrong in seeing it that way, though, I probably would too.

She actually had a fraternal twin sister who really looked nothing like her too.

I agree from the outside looking in, but he's actually not wrong. She looked like a dadgum barbie doll, one of the physically prettiest people I've ever seen. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of her. I guess because I knew her and heard that comment often it never stood out to me. You're not wrong in seeing it that way, though, I probably would too.

She actually had a fraternal twin sister who really looked nothing like her too.

It doesn't matter if she actually looked like a barbie doll. Weird thing for dad to focus on in immediate time frame aftrer a tragedy. I don't really need to see a pciture.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I was gonna feel bad. But the fact he was a CEO makes it terribly sad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT