ADVERTISEMENT

Utah teacher questions whether 'posh, White parents' will oppose her classroom 'built for non-White students'

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
Utah teacher questions whether 'posh, White parents' will oppose her classroom 'built for non-White students'

The principal of William Penn Elementary issued a statement late Sunday night, saying it was her "personal commitment… to ensure every student feels safe and welcome," and it is "inappropriate for any employee to make students feel unwelcome in any way, shape or form."

The principal also noted the teacher had deleted the social media post, apologized for her comments, and that the district was investigating the situation to identify whether any district policies had been violated.

Full article:

I was about to make an excuse for her since she'd never taught in a classroom with white students. I figured maybe she just didn't have classroom posters, etc her new students would identify with.

Then I read her quotes. She's clearly just agenda-driven. I wouldn't want my kids in her class. @Hawk_82 is 100% correct.

She's in it for the wrong reasons.

Teachers definitely should hilight people of color and different cultures as well as sexual orientations (As there are going to be kids with gay parents) so that they recognize it as normal. But no teacher should intentionally try to make an Elementary school child uncomfortable. It's rare, but there are some teachers like this who intentionally do so, and while rare, it's the nonsense people like Desantis lock on to to craft all types of bs legislation.

I absolutely want her to have posters of people of color, books that celebrate differences, etc... as white kids and other children need to have that recognition. At the same time, you can go too far.

Now, my comments speak only to Elementary and early middle school. Once you start getting around 7th grade and above, some of your teachers at least need to be actively challenging student prejudices and making all students feel slightly uncomfortable at times. Education requires challenging our systems or it loses a great deal of it's power.

Stupid attention seeking behavior - senseless provocation.

Sometimes people do it in their careers. Sometimes people do it by posting stories on HORT.

Speaking of a stupid attention seeking behavior and senseless provocation, you just executed it flawlessly.

Speaking of a stupid attention seeking behavior and senseless provocation, you just executed it flawlessly.
200w.gif

Sorry I couldn’t support your perspective. I’m fact, I’m starting my 26th year in education and literally the only people I’ve encountered with political viewpoints are the MAGAs who come to board meetings and recite what they heard on Fox or Newsmax…and they just make a fool of themselves because they have no clue about what really happens in a building.

Not worth engaging on this. I'm in year 31 and I couldn't tell you who most of the people I've worked with in all those years voted for. I can't imagine a workplace where politics is a regular topic of discussion - I can't even remember the last political discussion at work. There's just no time for it - we've got work to do.

It is so tiresome to respond to people who think they know about classroom settings that have never worked in one.
Which grade was the last one you passed? How long ago was that?
What the hell do you pretend to know about an educational setting?

The picture definitely fits.

Posting things like that is a one way ticket to searching the help wanted ads.

Not going to go over well in 9/10 communities.

William-Penn-Teacher.png

Teachers definitely should hilight people of color and different cultures as well as sexual orientations (As there are going to be kids with gay parents) so that they recognize it as normal. But no teacher should intentionally try to make an Elementary school child uncomfortable. It's rare, but there are some teachers like this who intentionally do so, and while rare, it's the nonsense people like Desantis lock on to to craft all types of bs legislation.

I absolutely want her to have posters of people of color, books that celebrate differences, etc... as white kids and other children need to have that recognition. At the same time, you can go too far.

Now, my comments speak only to Elementary and early middle school. Once you start getting around 7th grade and above, some of your teachers at least need to be actively challenging student prejudices and making all students feel slightly uncomfortable at times. Education requires challenging our systems or it loses a great deal of it's power.
To assume white kids inherently have prejudices that need correcting shows you ignorance. Please stop and go back to whatever leftist cave you crawled out of.

To assume white kids inherently have prejudices that need correcting shows you ignorance. Please stop and go back to whatever leftist cave you crawled out of.
First, learn to read. I never said corrected, I said challenged. Everyone's views need to be challenged, whether I think they're right or wrong. Students have to learn how to critically think through ideas they've been handed if they want to grow themselves.

Secondly, I never said white kids. I said ALL kids need to be challenged. So regardless of color, if your beliefs aren't being challenged and forced to critically analyze them, you are not getting a well rounded education.

Now, I don't really need the math teacher doing it, but some of the classes need to do so.

Reactions: ironside1
How does this lily white youngster with an equally young teaching certificate perceive herself to be a fountain of knowledge, as it pertains to racial equity?,... I imagine the fire red hair and overly large horn rimmed glasses give her special insight into the pain and suffering of the downtrodden masses,... wtf.

The principal of William Penn Elementary issued a statement late Sunday night, saying it was her "personal commitment… to ensure every student feels safe and welcome," and it is "inappropriate for any employee to make students feel unwelcome in any way, shape or form."

The principal also noted the teacher had deleted the social media post, apologized for her comments, and that the district was investigating the situation to identify whether any district policies had been violated.

Full article:

Where do you find this trash lol. The culture wars are a weird part of society

I guess I am not seeing that she is a first year teacher. Just that this is her first year at this particular school. I read it as she had previously taught at a non white school/s and therefore her teaching materials were geared toward those students. I don't disagree that her post does not reflect a great attitude toward her current school/students and wonder why she would accept a job there if she felt that way. But I don't know that she went out of her way to create a classroom that would make her students uncomfortable as much as didn't purchase new materials that would better represent them.

Reactions: goldmom
The picture definitely fits.

Posting things like that is a one way ticket to searching the help wanted ads.

Not going to go over well in 9/10 communities.

William-Penn-Teacher.png
Here's the link to the video of her talking:

She's pretty much who people are talking about when bashing "woke culture". Just that overtly outward, intentional show of going way over the top to prove how she's fighting for someone else who doesn't need someone fighting for them in this way.

"Even my coloring pages... there's no white characters for them to color.... the only Disney princesses I have are Mulan and Moana..."

She's pretty much who people are talking about when bashing "woke culture". Just that overtly outward, intentional show of going way over the top to prove how she's fighting for someone else who doesn't need someone fighting for them in this way.

"Even my coloring pages... there's no white characters for them to color.... the only Disney princesses I have are Mulan and Moana..."
you know.. if this teacher wouldnt have posted anything, i would be surprised if anybody noticed.... But after the video, she seems pretty self serving.

you know.. if this teacher wouldnt have posted anything, i would be surprised if anybody noticed.... But after the video, she seems pretty self serving.
It ONLY counts if everyone notices the thing that she did!

Where did he say only white kids?

What exactly is a “posh” white parent? Somebody who dresses well and has kids and is white?

Full article:

Sounds to me like a bunch of white snowflakes if they're this threatened by some strong language from a new teacher.

But she said that she did that to show her previously non- white students they are represented. Now she has flipped the script and students will not find anyone that "looks like them" in her coloring books. I have a feeling this won't go well.

She means well. But honestly, she needs to focus on the set curriculum that has been established by that district.

ADVERTISEMENT