ADVERTISEMENT

UW-Milwaukee @ Iowa Baseball

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa hosts Milwaukee on Tuesday at 6pm. It is $2 Tuesday.

Tickets and hot dogs are $2.

Milwaukee is 22-14 and hits 29th nationally and 22nd In scorIng.

The video has a “BTN Student” icon in upper right. I am guessing here but I’d bet it is an Iowa student majoring in some type of broadcast communication.

Pleasantly surprised that rpi went from 78 to 71 with that win.

Iowa figured out a way to win the RPI Direct Impact game last night. Also, the key RPI Indirect (SOS) game’s broke in Iowa’s favor.

Have to be pulling for Hawaii, Purdue, Evansville and Rutgers in today’s games.

I put in a half-effort last year to look up Heller’s record when trailing late in the game and became too impatient. Heller’s teams are magical in late innings.

Hardly scientific, but Iowa is 13-6 this year in games decided by 2 runs or fewer. That is real good. Some of that is luck, but Heller instills an ethic that his teams will compete the whole game and won't play afraid in close games. Doesn't mean they will always win (Sunday against Nebraska points that out) but they will compete. Says a lot about the two most-recent walk-off wins (Nebraska on Friday night and Milwaukee last night) the guys getting the walk-off hits started the games on the bench.

Reactions: Franisdaman
yes that is why they are under strong consideration for an at-large bid even with RPI in the 70s. Iowa has more quality wins than any other team in the league. Keep winning series and good things will happen.
I am guessing that Heller has some good connections because he has teams like Oklahoma State (RPI of 21) & UC Irvine (RPI of 37) coming to Iowa City. Ok State last year, UC Irvine this year.

Is it just me or does our conference schedule kinda stink? We play 8 weekend series and then we have one game against N'w.

Rutgers, Purdue, Ohio State & Mich State are all bad this year, which does not help matters.

I am guessing that Heller has some good connections because he has teams like Oklahoma State (RPI of 21) & UC Irvine (RPI of 37) coming to Iowa City. Ok State last year, UC Irvine this year.

Is it just me or does our conference schedule kinda stink? We play 8 weekend series and then we have one game against N'w.

Rutgers, Purdue, Ohio State & Mich State are all bad this year, which does not help matters.

It’s a crap shoot with the B1G unfortunately. 13 teams and 8 series in conference.

D1 baseball has us out of regional at this point with UC Irvine solidly in along with Nebraska, Creighton, UNO Omaha. That said, as stated above just keep winning series and there are RPI boosting games yet to come!

I’d really be ok if we never played Western Illinois again. Besides being close they bring nothing to the table. Win or lose and our rpi drops.

Ready to see the black and gold back in Omaha! Hopefully twice...once in May and once in June! This place would literally explode with bumblebees if Iowa ever made it to the CWS, an amazing atmosphere.

Yesterday, Apr 23 (thru Apr 22's games), Milwaukee was 132. Iowa was 79.

Where are you getting your RPI numbers?

Here are the RPI #s from the NCAA's website:

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

Go to Warren Nolan’s site. Click on Iowa. You’ll get their team page. Click on “Impact games.” It will give you a breakdown of every game that impacts Iowa’s RPI. Yesterday’s win was worth 32 RPI points.

There is also a list of teams and how many RPI points Iowa needs to catch them in RPI standings and how far ahead Iowa may be from teams below.

FWIW, Iowa trailed Michigan by 100 RPI points going into last night’s game. They cut the lead by 30 points after factoring in all impact games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman

He does have good connections but the reason those teams agreed to games was not because he knows them, but because Iowa has been good enough that the likes of Okie State and UC Irvine are willing to play Iowa. Those teams know playing Iowa likely won't be an RPI killer for them.

The conference schedule Iowa literally has zero control over. When you are in a position to win the regular season title, having an easy schedule would help. In 2015, Iowa went 19-5 in conference, which about 80% of the years would win. Problem is Illinois went 21-1. In 2017, Iowa was 4th at 15-9, Nebraska won at 16-7. If CJ Eldred isn't lost for the year with an injury, Iowa probably wins the league.

He does have good connections but the reason those teams agreed to games was not because he knows them, but because Iowa has been good enough that the likes of Okie State and UC Irvine are willing to play Iowa. Those teams know playing Iowa likely won't be an RPI killer for them.

The conference schedule Iowa literally has zero control over. When you are in a position to win the regular season title, having an easy schedule would help. In 2015, Iowa went 19-5 in conference, which about 80% of the years would win. Problem is Illinois went 21-1. In 2017, Iowa was 4th at 15-9, Nebraska won at 16-7. If CJ Eldred isn't lost for the year with an injury, Iowa probably wins the league.

What could have been that year with a healthy Gallagher and Eldred plus the offense they had.

In further responding to an earlier question regarding Iowa climbing from 79 to 71 after last night's games, here's a breakdown of how Iowa's RPI standings looked before the game.

70. Sam Houston State (Iowa trailed them by 38 RPI points)
71. Xavier (35)
72. Boston College (31)
73. Wake Forest (30)
74. TCU (28)
75. UCF (19)
76. Bradley (13)
77. Kansas State (9)
78. Elon (5)
79. Iowa

Iowa earned 32 points for beating UWM last night. It would have lost 46 RPI points if it had lost. Nolan refers to those games as "Direct Impact" games.

Iowa also "earned" the following SOS points based upon prior opponents. Nolan refers to those as "Indirect (SOS) Impact Games:
(-5.4) - Bradley losing to Illinois
(+3.7) - Illinois beating Bradley (net -1.7 in Bradley/Illinois game)
(+6.2) - Cal State Northridge beating California Baptist
(-2.0) - Marshall losing to Morehead State
(+1.3) - Illinois State beating Northern Illinois
(-1.1) - Northern Illinois losing to Illinois State (net: +.2 in NIU/ISU game)
(-1.4) - George Mason losing to William & Mary
(+3.3) - Indiana beating Ball State
(-7.3) - Nebraska losing to Creighton
(+6.6) - Rutgers beating Columbia
(-1.0) - Chicago State losing to Purdue
(+7.0) - Purdue beating Chicago State (net; +6.0 in Purdue/CSU game)
NET TOTAL: Gain of 9.9 points in Indirect (SOS) Impact Games

So . . for the night, Iowa gained a total of 41.9 RPI points.

As of the time that I am writing this, the rankings look like this (from 70-80):

70. San Diego (Iowa trails by 1)
71. Iowa
72. Kansas State (Iowa up by 8 RPI points; gained 17 on them last night)
73. VCU (22)
74. St. Mary's College (37)
75. Bradley (51) (Iowa gained 64 points on them last night)
76. TCU (53) (Iowa gained 81 points on them last night)
77. UCF (58) (Iowa gained 77 points on them last night)
78. Sam Houston State (58) (Iowa gained 96 points on them last night)
79. Charleston (65)
80. St. John's (71)

Of the other teams listed between 70 and 79 before the game last night:
Xavier - is now #59 and Iowa lost 34 points to them
Boston College - is now #66 and Iowa gained 2 points on them
Wake Forest - is now #68 and Iowa gained 11 points on them
Elon - is now #81 and Iowa gained 82 points on them

Just goes to show you how volatile the rankings are . . . and the importance of winning games.

Damn. Having discovered the Impact Games feature on Warren Nolan’s site, I find it addicting.

As of now, Iowa has picked up 10.7 RPI points tonight.

Evansville looks to be a likely loser which would account for a (-5.8). They appear to be rallying late. Down 4 in 8th but bases juiced with 2 outs and a 3-0 count on hitter.

The last game is Hawaii v San Diego. Iowa could pick up 8 RPI points if Hawaii wins. They lose 6.5 points if Hawaii loses. 1-1 to T3.

Worst case has Iowa dropping a net 1.6 RPI points tonight.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT