ADVERTISEMENT

VA Tech

thewop

HR Legend
Jun 27, 2002
Lost to St. Louis, but it appears they can score score score. They failed to score 100 against SLU (71), but have 103, 111, and 132 against Washington, Detroit, and the Citadel respectively. I noticed they had 68 with over 16 minutes left against Washington and were up 30, so they really called off the dogs to only hit 103.

That should bring defense into perspective for our team if the Cayman tournament doesn't.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
Lost to St. Louis, but it appears they can score score score. They failed to score 100 against SLU (71), but have 103, 111, and 132 against Washington, Detroit, and the Citadel respectively. I noticed they had 68 with over 16 minutes left against Washington and were up 30, so they really called off the dogs to only hit 103.

That should bring defense into perspective for our team if the Cayman tournament doesn't.

Only 2 players over 6-6, mostly plays 4 guards and 1 forward, up-tempo team that tries to get you sideways defensively with double and triple teaming, and then rains 3's when the defense collapses. Like most small teams, they live and die by the 3.... I like our chances in this one.

Only 2 players over 6-6, mostly plays 4 guards and 1 forward, up-tempo team that tries to get you sideways defensively with double and triple teaming, and then rains 3's when the defense collapses. Like most small teams, they live and die by the 3.... I like our chances in this one.

So hopefully IA plays a lot of zone similar to the 2nd half against Grambling St.

Reactions: DanL53
So hopefully IA plays a lot of zone similar to the 2nd half against Grambling St.

Yeah, I think practice is over for a while. It will be interesting to see how many we use, 2-3, 3-2, 1-3-1 is part of my prediction, with a bit of man to man. Although I think with our lineup a 1-2-2 would be best to protect the front court and the 3 point sweet spot at the top of the key. Actually, I think I'd put Nunge and Baer at the top of it. We have to make sure we keep the back door closed in any zone we're in, and our wings and guards have to be certain to close out on shooters.

All zones have weaknesses, just like man to man does. So we have to decide what we will give up for what we can get.

One thing we haven't seen as much of as we will when we go zone, and that's the Iowa Nasty steals in the passing lanes. I suspect that with his length and anticipation Nunge will join Baer as a guy who disrupts offenses with just the threat that he's there.

So. We half court trap so a team has about 20 seconds when it get's into it's offense. We vary the defenses which we HAVEN'T been doing because McCaffery has been torturing the guys making 'em play man to man against waterbugs. (If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball) So with 20 seconds to go our opponent is lost for a bit. THAT moment....along with our improved rebounding and interior defense and longer arms defending outside shots...

...get ready. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT