ADVERTISEMENT

Vaccinated teachers and students don’t need masks, CDC says

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) — Vaccinated teachers and students don’t need to wear masks inside school buildings, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday in relaxing its COVID-19 guidelines.

The changes come amid a national vaccination campaign in which children as young as 12 are eligible to get shots, as well as a general decline in COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths.
Click to shrink...
“We’re at a new point in the pandemic that we’re all really excited about,” and so it’s time to update the guidance, said Erin Sauber-Schatz, who leads the CDC task force that prepares recommendations designed to keep Americans safe from COVID-19.

The nation’s top public health agency is not advising schools to require shots for teachers and vaccine-eligible kids. And it’s not offering guidance on how teachers can know which students are vaccinated or how parents will know which teachers are immunized.
Click to shrink...
The biggest questions will be at middle schools where some students are eligible for shots and others aren’t. If sorting vaccinated and unvaccinated students proves too burdensome, administrators might choose to just keep a masking policy in place for everyone.

“The guidance is really written to allow flexibility at the local level,” Sauber-Schatz said.

Indeed, in some of the nation’s largest school districts, widespread mask-wearing is expected to continue this fall. In Detroit’s public schools, everyone will be required to wear a mask unless everyone in the classroom has been vaccinated. Philadelphia will require all public school students and staff to wear masks inside buildings, even if they have been vaccinated. But masks won’t be mandated in Houston schools.
Click to shrink...

I'll wait for Jen Psaki to confirm,.. This could just be more off the clock ramblings from a CDC staff member.

But a child that’s recovered from an infection and has antibodies should be forced to wear a mask and keep their distance?

Stupidly unscientific AND cruel; yep, sounds about right.
Immunity from having the illness does not equal immunity from vaccine.

SIOecIDH.jpg

That doesn't say anything about infection giving greater immunity than vaccination. In fact it doesn't mention vaccination at all. Never mind the fact that the possible negative outcomes of infection are much worse than vaccination. But thanks for the linked study, still some good info in it.

That doesn't say anything about infection giving greater immunity than vaccination. In fact it doesn't mention vaccination at all. Never mind the fact that the possible negative outcomes of infection are much worse than vaccination. But thanks for the linked study, still some good info in it.
It may not mention vaccination but it is certainly implied: unless anyone from Pfizer can claim there product is still demonstrating efficacy after 17 years.

“....long-lasting memory T cells that are reactive to the N protein of SARS-CoV 17 years after the outbreak of SARS in 2003; these T cells displayed robust cross-reactivity to the N protein of SARS-CoV-2”

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
It may not mention vaccination but it is certainly implied: unless anyone from Pfizer can claim there product is still demonstrating efficacy after 17 years.

“....long-lasting memory T cells that are reactive to the N protein of SARS-CoV 17 years after the outbreak of SARS in 2003; these T cells displayed robust cross-reactivity to the N protein of SARS-CoV-2”
I don't see how that implies anything about vaccination either. Is it surprising that t cells from one iteration of SARS infection are reacting to another? I would say no but I'm not a doctor or medical professional. And I would think you would need 17 years of data to be able to have such a claim so I don't really get that comparison either.

Just remember this does not apply to elementary age students as they have not had the opportunity for vaccination yet. This announcement means nothing for the younger students.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT