ADVERTISEMENT

Valuable Lesson Learned

Kaiser_Soze

Team MVP
Oct 18, 2006
I was a student at IA the last time they made the S16, recall watching it. Back then Bowlsby got rid of Tom Davis for the sin of "only" winning the 1st round games. Since then, we know the story. I was fairly scarred by that Oregon game last year, only to get my expectations up AGAIN late this year. However, I have learned to never again have any expectations with the IA hoops team in the NCAA tournament. If you can't win more than 1 game with a 1st team AA for 3 consecutive years then there is something structurally wrong.

I'm right there with you. I'll always be a fan but I'll never believe again until they go out and do it. Been burned too many times in a row.

With the players and seeding we've had the last two years (as well as the 3 seed in 2006) and only one NCAA Tournament win out of all that. Against Grand Canyon.

Last edited:
It's frustrating, to say the least, to follow the major Iowa sports, football and basketball. I see progress in both sports. To focus on basketball, we won a BIG tourney championship with a team that was expected to finish in the bottom half of the league. I see better recruiting, I saw some better coaching this year, saw some better defense this year and we got bounced by a team we should have beaten, ask blue blood Kentucky how that feels. It's not for the faint to heart to follow Iowa basketball but I think better days could be ahead.

And yes I think college hoops has gotten to the point where the regular season is just warm up for the tournament. It is how successful seasons are judged. I know a lot of people that went to Illinois, they have had some great regular seasons past few years with early exists from tournament. I don't hear much about the regular season success from them.

Underwood and McCaffrey are neck and neck for winner of the "how to create then totally destroy expectations" contest.

Reactions: intrepodor
I was a student at IA the last time they made the S16, recall watching it. Back then Bowlsby got rid of Tom Davis for the sin of "only" winning the 1st round games. Since then, we know the story. I was fairly scarred by that Oregon game last year, only to get my expectations up AGAIN late this year. However, I have learned to never again have any expectations with the IA hoops team in the NCAA tournament. If you can't win more than 1 game with a 1st team AA for 3 consecutive years then there is something structurally wrong.
They don’t play the consistent defense you need to win in the tourney(NCAA) and they don’t have guards who can control the game . That’s it.

Reactions: Fan In Black
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT