ADVERTISEMENT

Van Ness and NFL..

DodgerHawki

HR Legend
Nov 19, 2002
if you want to know why Van Ness has appeared in some mocks as a first round pick, this is from Ben Fennell, who is a fairly well respected draft guy for CBS and NFL Network.

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1590096154657947650?s=20&t=TWZa6hyZ75m5dZSfeQRSOA

He's going against a LT who is very highly thought of from OSU, and just walks him back to the QB. I certainly hope he comes back for another year, but he will definitely have a decision to make.

Reactions: grhawk and IAGuy
I think he probably will come back unless the buzz just keeps rocketing him up the board. But I have to tell you…..

I have re-watched both of these last two games multiple times & this defense with him being one of the primary reasons why!

Is relentless & physically/athletically imposing… He just dominates people and blows plays up whether he’s involved in the tackle or not.

and his combination of strength, balance, hip swivel/agility and speed is remarkable. Stop action/slow mo is the way to watch this D perform. They are almost always in place and when they make a decision, they FLY to the ball in groups of 3!!

Last edited:
This is great for the players, but also what kills program momentum for a program like Iowa. You live and die off of a handful of outperformers that come out of nowhere, but there just isn't the depth there when one or a few leave early.

Well I understand that thought process and it could even still be true on offense, but I opined several years ago when we first started consistently losing people early that I think it might actually start helping recruiting & building depth and in my mind that has indeed happened.

Yes, putting guys into the league early definitely helps with recruiting. I love seeing guys go pro early, it improves the Hawkeye brand.

This is great for the players, but also what kills program momentum for a program like Iowa. You live and die off of a handful of outperformers that come out of nowhere, but there just isn't the depth there when one or a few leave early.
I'd say even with a few losses on D we will be just fine, the 2 and 3 deep is loaded and X, TJ Hall, Graves and Castro all ascending. Gut says Van Ness comes back after getting a 2nd round-ish draft grade, first rounders are normally talked about at will during the games however sack and TFL numbers not flying off the screen for LVN.
I say all this selfishly as he could be an absolute force as well next year, not sure how much NFL drafts on the combine workout and potential like the NBA does.

Dane Brugler has him as the 25th best prospect in this class. Unfortunately Hercules will be gone and will probably shoot up more after the combine.

25. Lukas Van Ness, edge, Iowa*​

An exciting up-and-coming prospect, Lukas Van Ness has impressive talent and is still figuring out just how good he can be. He rushes like a grizzly bear, using his initial quickness, body flexibility and powerful hands/reach to defeat blocks both inside and outside. Van Ness also shows up on special teams, as seen on the pair of blocked punts he had against Iowa State.

Dane Brugler has him as the 25th best prospect in this class. Unfortunately Hercules will be gone and will probably shoot up more after the combine.

An exciting up-and-coming prospect, Lukas Van Ness has impressive talent and is still figuring out just how good he can be. He rushes like a grizzly bear, using his initial quickness, body flexibility and powerful hands/reach to defeat blocks both inside and outside. Van Ness also shows up on special teams, as seen on the pair of blocked punts he had against Iowa State.

He won’t go to the combine unless he declares if I’m not mistaken?!

I'd say even with a few losses on D we will be just fine, the 2 and 3 deep is loaded and X, TJ Hall, Graves and Castro all ascending. Gut says Van Ness comes back after getting a 2nd round-ish draft grade, first rounders are normally talked about at will during the games however sack and TFL numbers not flying off the screen for LVN.
I say all this selfishly as he could be an absolute force as well next year, not sure how much NFL drafts on the combine workout and potential like the NBA does.
Having Van Ness back would be great obviously. With or without him, there is no reason to assume the D won't yet again be really, really good.

Assuming Jacobs is back as well, you have these guys (and that isn't even taking into account any incoming transfers or guys in the systems who are make big jobs). Almost all of these guys have starting experience or at least solid game reps.

DL:

Van Ness
Logan Lee
Graves
Craig
Hurkett
Llewellyn
Black
Anterio Thompson (big time Iowa Western Transfer)

LB

Jacobs (Starter)
Higgins (Starter)
Fisher

DB/Cash

Dejean
Schulte
Castro
Jermari Harris (back from injury w/ starter experience)
Nwapnka
Hall
Roberts (?)
Bracy

No Jack Campbell in the Top 50 ~ I'm a little surprised...

He plays ILB, unless you are an absolute freak athlete then you won’t be ranked high on those lists. I think Jack is awesome and will be a 2nd or 3rd round pick but LBs that don’t rush the ball don’t usually get picked high.
True but sneaking into the 1st rd on a draft board isn’t quite the same thing. My point is if he got to run at the combine without declaring I think there is entirely a chance he bolted into the top 20 it’s going to be a dicey call!!

I think he’s as good or better an athlete than Aidan Hutchinson so taking a flyer on late first, early second versus moving into that top 10-15 range in a year that’s a pretty big deal

True but sneaking into the 1st rd on a draft board isn’t quite the same thing. My point is if he got to run at the combine without declaring I think there is entirely a chance he bolted into the top 20 it’s going to be a dicey call!!

I think he’s as good or better an athlete than Aidan Hutchinson so taking a flyer on late first, early second versus moving into that top 10-15 range in a year that’s a pretty big deal
He has better measurables then Hutchinson with his arm length (6’9 wingspan) and weight but is a inch shorter. His tape is great with better measurables and by all accounts is a workout warrior. I’ve already mentally put VanNess into the NFL so I’m not disappointed when it happens haha. As another poster mentioned, get that second contract as young as you can in the NFL because that is your big payday

He will be a standout at the combine (if he goes) and that will propel him up the draft boards.
His bench press might be the only thing holding him back as Iowa has never put much stock into that and our guys are consistently well below the average on the measurement.

In the end, it will be whether he bases his decision off of talking heads or if personally feels he could still use one more season (and it's worth the risk) to entrench himself as a Top 15 pick.

Having Van Ness back would be great obviously. With or without him, there is no reason to assume the D won't yet again be really, really good.

Assuming Jacobs is back as well, you have these guys (and that isn't even taking into account any incoming transfers or guys in the systems who are make big jobs). Almost all of these guys have starting experience or at least solid game reps.

DL:

Van Ness
Logan Lee
Graves
Craig
Hurkett
Llewellyn
Black
Anterio Thompson (big time Iowa Western Transfer)

LB

Jacobs (Starter)
Higgins (Starter)
Fisher

DB/Cash

Dejean
Schulte
Castro
Jermari Harris (back from injury w/ starter experience)
Nwapnka
Hall
Roberts (?)
Bracy
Right now....those guys paired with Phil Parker's coaching/philosophy....this is a top 25 defense....again...right now.

Reactions: owenhawk
Vann Ness is not ready. Look at how dominate Epenesa was and how much he struggled to make the transition.

Playing against 20 year old kids is not the same as going up against a 30 year old.

Well he isnt even a starter so but I am not sure of his snap numbers per game. But if he gets 45 snaps a game all of next year as a starter and just has great stats he will be a high first rounder.

Vann Ness is not ready. Look at how dominate Epenesa was and how much he struggled to make the transition.

Playing against 20 year old kids is not the same as going up against a 30 year old.

I agree with this premise with a couple of side points; Van Ness is a better athlete than Epenesa and you aren’t watching close enough. He is destroying people no matter where he lines up!! It doesn’t mean he’s always in the play but he is causing havoc!!

VanNess will translate better to the nfl with his measurables and athleticism compared to Eppy. He also has the ability to play inside and out. No matter what, he will be a year or two away. There aren’t many rookie DL that make a huge impact their first year.

But shit honestly if I’m a 1st or 2nd rounder at 22 then I would jump ship and bet on myself. You just never know with football. The good thing with Iowa if Lukas does jump to the NFL is that we have a deep DL

Reactions: cmhawks99
I agree with this premise with a couple of side points; Van Ness is a better athlete than Epenesa and you aren’t watching close enough. He is destroying people no matter where he lines up!! It doesn’t mean he’s always in the play but he is causing havoc!!
Bingo. His bull rush is one of the best I’ve seen at Iowa

Bingo. His bull rush is one of the best I’ve seen at Iowa

and that’s not all; I think the casual fan sees that sack on AOC when they were inside the 10 or 15. It’s just a simple one on one play but he came in hot, switched his hips snagged him by the jersey and threw his ass to the ground… That’s an NFL player!!

Reactions: BrunoMars420
and that’s not all; I think the casual fan sees that sack on AOC when they were inside the 10 or 15. It’s just a simple one on one play but he came in hot, switched his hips snagged him by the jersey and threw his ass to the ground… That’s an NFL player!!
Add his initial burst off the line and quickness and his motor. He also is great with his hands as well. Man I’m going to miss him a lot more then I thought lol

Bingo. His bull rush is one of the best I’ve seen at Iowa.

Along with his bend, hips and speed…I really think he could play a stand up outside Lber in the NFL in a 3/4.

Incidentally, did you see that play where Van Ness is tracking the QB out to the sideline (possibly the play before) and Campbell just flew past him to force AOC to throw it OB!

Along with his bend, hips and speed…I really think he could play a stand up outside Lber in the NFL in a 3/4.

Incidentally, did you see that play where Van Ness is tracking the QB out to the sideline (possibly the play before) and Campbell just flew past him to force AOC to throw it OB!
Oh yeah.

That is one thing I’m interested at is how he does stand up in coverage. I’m sure they will run him in those drills at the combine

Add his initial burst off the line and quickness and his motor. He also is great with his hands as well. Man I’m going to miss him a lot more then I thought lol
Isn't Van Ness a soph. I thought he would have to wait until he completes his junior year before he can declare for the NFL draft.

You mean RS Sophomore. :)

You have to have been out of high school for 3 years to go to the draft.

He can be a top 10 pick with another year under his belt plus I'm sure he will score some NIL to tide him over.

No Jack Campbell in the Top 50 ~ I'm a little surprised...
I think NFL scouts are worried about his speed/athleticism. Every year they underestimate players because of some measurable and every year players prove them wrong. Jack is a gamer, I don’t care what his 40 is and I hope my Dolphins end up with him.

Reactions: MilleGinja
I think NFL scouts are worried about his speed/athleticism. Every year they underestimate players because of some measurable and every year players prove them wrong. Jack is a gamer, I don’t care what his 40 is and I hope my Dolphins end up with him.
You are correct. Inside LB is not a premier draft position. Guys have to be absolute freaks to get taken in the first round. NFL game is different than it used to be. Packers were panned for taking Quay Walker in the first round at inside linebacker. He is a great athlete but just isn't very good as a rookie. He might end up being good.

There are examples of the NFL overlooking players, but the vast majority of the time the players who are good are those with the measurables, along with working hard. Wirfs went very high because he was/is a freak athlete, along with being a good fundamental player. Bucs now have one of the best tackles in football. Linderbaum's arms were a bit short, but in terms of athletic ability for a center he was off the charts athletic. Ravens look smart for taking him in the first round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT