ADVERTISEMENT

VandeBerg Injury

This is definitely something to keep our eyes on. Stanley can't afford to have a security blanket like that taken from him this season if he is going to have early success. From what I heard it seems to be a minor injury but I don't like that it's flaming back up at all.

Tight Ends and VandeBerg are going to be a large part of any success/failure offensively this year. Hopefully they can stay healthy.

Reactions: map0514
This is great news (glass half full).....Younger receivers get more reps in practice.

I have a hard time taking the glass half full approach on this one. After watching our receiving core last year I'm not sure my sanity can take another year of that. I think he is vital to developing those younger receivers and helping them to understand what makes our offense go.

When Vandy went down nobody could get any separation at all. It was quite honestly pathetic for lack of a better term. Blair just said that he will miss spring practice. Not a great development on this front. Hopefully the true freshman are ready to contribute in a big way.

I have a hard time taking the glass half full approach on this one. After watching our receiving core last year I'm not sure my sanity can take another year of that. I think he is vital to developing those younger receivers and helping them to understand what makes our offense go.

When Vandy went down nobody could get any separation at all. It was quite honestly pathetic for lack of a better term. Blair just said that he will miss spring practice. Not a great development on this front. Hopefully the true freshman are ready to contribute in a big way.
The bigger issue is that VandeBerg is supposed to be our go-to producer ... however, he's not going to be able to get ANY live reps during the spring in the NEW SYSTEM. Thus, that will invariably impact his consistency within the new system. Even with all the mental reps he'll be getting ... there will still be issues as it relates to executing routes from the new route trees.

This is great news (glass half full).....Younger receivers get more reps in practice.

But does it portend a possible re-injury? Is this one exactly like the previous one? You can accuse me of half empty but it seems worrisome to me.

This is definitely something to keep our eyes on. Stanley can't afford to have a security blanket like that taken from him this season if he is going to have early success. From what I heard it seems to be a minor injury but I don't like that it's flaming back up at all.

Tight Ends and VandeBerg are going to be a large part of any success/failure offensively this year. Hopefully they can stay healthy.

His security blanket should be to hand the ball off to the dude in your picture ;)

I agree with you, I just love Wadley.

His security blanket should be to hand the ball off to the dude in your picture ;)

I agree with you, I just love Wadley.

Oh there will be plenty of that as well! Just was saying our passing game can't be non-existent this year, especially on 3rd down. Just need to find a way to get some seperation and hopefully the new wrinkles in the offense provide that.

Interesting that a player (Vandy) has moved from a wasted scholarship to indispensable player if a pretty short time. I like college sports because it's fun to see players develop.
I seriously doubt many B1G DC's are waking up in cold sweat's wondering how they'll stop Vandy on Saturday's. Vandy's above average but I wouldn't call him a game changer.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt many B1G DC's are waking up in cold sweat's wondering how they'll stop Vandy on Saturday's. Vandy's above average but I wouldn't call him a game changer.
In a general sense, no. For Iowa, he wasn't a game changer, he was an entire effing season changer.

He is a good to very good receiver. Him being out last year crippled Iowa's passing game. You probably couldn't say it for literally any other team, but for Iowa he was a game changer. Hopefully that won't be the case going forward.

Reactions: HawksAndChiefs24
The bigger issue is that VandeBerg is supposed to be our go-to producer ... however, he's not going to be able to get ANY live reps during the spring in the NEW SYSTEM. Thus, that will invariably impact his consistency within the new system. Even with all the mental reps he'll be getting ... there will still be issues as it relates to executing routes from the new route trees.
It's less the reps "in the system" than the reps with Stanley that are more important

Reactions: map0514
New system, new offensive schemes, it's hard to say what will come of this. Vandy though is a very good player and having him there is needed.

People are forgetting that Greg Davis is gone, we may see better WR production because of it. It's hard to create separation if you only plan on running 10 yard routes most of the time.

Last edited:
Yeah because we have such a plethra of young talent at WR that just needed a break like this to make that ascension in the depth chart thanks to the "extra reps" of offseason workouts they'll fight over while Vandeberg is out, which will ultimately pan out, as it always does when these things happen, and continue to be a boon to an already, and always, sterling position of success for the Hawkeyes on the football field when the ball is finally snapped.........................................

How about the injury bug just stay the f*** away from Vandeberg and let him play so we can actually have a halfway decent version of a receiver for our new QB to throw to next year......thank you.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
Vandy was a great receiver but if you think he will pick-up from where he left off after such a serious injury is anybody's guess. Athletes that receive a season ending injury in many cases struggle to get back. A good example is D'Moray Pearson El. His freshman year he was one of the best punt returners in the nation. His sophomore year he broke his leg and has not, to date, recovered his speed and quickness status reached his freshman year.

Vandy was a great receiver but if you think he will pick-up from where he left off after such a serious injury is anybody's guess. Athletes that receive a season ending injury in many cases struggle to get back. A good example is D'Moray Pearson El. His freshman year he was one of the best punt returners in the nation. His sophomore year he broke his leg and has not, to date, recovered his speed and quickness status reached his freshman year.
I think a broken leg would be much more difficult to overcome than a broken foot. I have never had either, so just guessing.

I don't think we know whether it was serious or not. We'll find out how well he bounces back in September.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but if Vandy broke his foot in the same place after having it pronounced "healed" (KF said he could have played in the bowl game) this becomes a chronic situation and surgery may be needed.

Everything is going to be different this year.

Whoever wins will be very well coached and they will have a TE security blanket. I can't wait for this fall.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but if Vandy broke his foot in the same place after having it pronounced "healed" (KF said he could have played in the bowl game) this becomes a chronic situation and surgery may be needed.

Broken foot. Screw snapped.

It's less the reps "in the system" than the reps with Stanley that are more important
This^ He can get plenty of mental reps in practice, as a 5th year senior he is mature enough to focus in practice to get mental reps. The only issue will be timing with a new QB. On the bright side though, he will have summer and fall to work that out....it is much better to get injured in Spring ball for proven veterans than summer or fall. If he were a young player fighting for playing time, Spring ball would be vital. For a Vandy, its certainly not ideal but he will make the best of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT