ADVERTISEMENT

VB getting booted out of CHA

Row55

HR MVP
Feb 22, 2009
Moving to the new hockey arena in Coralville.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...anding-breaks-ground-ui-volleyball/617534002/

Don't know enough about it to know if it's an improvement or not. Guess we'll see how it works to put a temporary VB floor over ice; I'd guess fan seating will be further away from the court than in CHA. I know Dingman didn't like CHA, and that it's pretty common at other schools for VB to play in a different, usually smaller building. But if it were me I'd want to play in the main arena, especially since team locker rooms, practice areas and coaches offices are there.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...anding-breaks-ground-ui-volleyball/617534002/

Don't know enough about it to know if it's an improvement or not. Guess we'll see how it works to put a temporary VB floor over ice; I'd guess fan seating will be further away from the court than in CHA. I know Dingman didn't like CHA, and that it's pretty common at other schools for VB to play in a different, usually smaller building. But if it were me I'd want to play in the main arena, especially since team locker rooms, practice areas and coaches offices are there.

They wouldn't be moving if they weren't supportive of it, especially as it will likely cost the University more money to rent out the arena. At least that is my guess. With the 5,100 seating, it can be more of a rowdy/noisy venue. If they drew a couple thousand people for a volleyball match, it would make it a more raucous home environment.

They wouldn't be moving if they weren't supportive of it, especially as it will likely cost the University more money to rent out the arena. At least that is my guess. With the 5,100 seating, it can be more of a rowdy/noisy venue. If they drew a couple thousand people for a volleyball match, it would make it a more raucous home environment.
Definitely. This is great news for VB!

Not sure if it's over ice or if they just redo the rink afterwards. The Iowa high school VB state tournament was held two years at the Rough Riders arena in Cedar Rapids. It was a much better venue than the cell center downtown

I haven't been to the US Cellular Center in CR for a long time, but it looks from video they are not putting down the removable seats on the first level for BB games as was done years ago, maybe it's that way for VB also, which would suck. Have not been to the Ice Arena, I'll take your word it's a better set up for VB. I take it they take down the Plexiglass barriers also? That would be a concern for me at the Coralville arena also.

I had a conversation with Bond 18 months ago and he mentioned they were trying to get into the new arena. Based on the way he was talking he was 100% for it. A more intimate environment will help with home court advantage in terms of noise etc.

OK, I hadn't heard how he felt about it. I suppose it never hurts to tell recruits a new facility is on the way.

I haven't been to the US Cellular Center in CR for a long time, but it looks from video they are not putting down the removable seats on the first level for BB games as was done years ago, maybe it's that way for VB also, which would suck. Have not been to the Ice Arena, I'll take your word it's a better set up for VB. I take it they take down the Plexiglass barriers also? That would be a concern for me at the Coralville arena also.
There are no seats on the first level for VB, that's why the ice arena was nice - you weren't above the game you were more at floor level

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT