ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas/Hawaii Vacation - Attempt #3....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
So, Mrs. Tradition and I originally planned to visit Hawaii in November of 2020. One of our sons lived there, and we were planning to have a vacation that coincided with his birthday.

Well, COVID happened so that trip was cancelled. It also cancelled his job so he moved back home to Florida.

Second attempt was for February of this year to coincide with our 35th wedding anniversary (it took Hawaii a looooooong time to fully reopen and get over the Covid craziness). But, Mrs. Tradition got pancreatic cancer and so we had to cancel that trip, too.

Now that she's had the surgery and is recovered as much as she'll ever recover, we're going to try again in September. Hotels and flights are booked (but could be changed).

Here's the itinerary:

Day #1 - Fly to Vegas. We have a room at the Westin a block off the strip in a centralized location. Room is supposed to have a view of the sphere.

Day #2 - Vegas Stuff. Don't really have anything here that I MUST do. I just want to wander around and do and see whatever.

Day #3 - Fly to Kona. We have three nights booked at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Really torn between that and the less crazy Marriott down the road. However, Mrs. Tradition likes the fact that it's a gigantic resort. May take a sunset catamaran cruise on our first night on Big Island.

Day #4 - Waikoloa. Probably just knock around the resort for the day, there's plenty to see and do (including dolphins!) which is why Mrs. Tradition likes this. Looking into doing the manta rays snorkeling trip that night.

Day #5 - Waikoloa. Last day on the west coast. Might go to the Kings and Queens shops and browse around. Doing the Luau that evening.

Day #6 - Travel to Hilo. Rent a car and drive the north trip around the island, hitting the various sights and lookouts on the way to the DoubleTree at Hilo. We secured a reservation for one of the coveted corner rooms with the wrap-around balcony. I hope we get the side that not only looks over the ocean, but the volcano in the distance, too.

Day #7 - Volcano/Waterfalls Bus Tour. We're trying to avoid having a rental car overnight because of stupid hotel parking fees. Plus, we're probably not going to want to do any intense hiking, so the guided tour will be more relaxing.

Day #8 - Fly to Honolulu. We're booked for five nights (fifth night free!) at the iconic Hilton Hawaiian Village on the west end of Waikiki. No other activities planned for that day. Again, this is another mega-resort with everything you might need on property (for a price).

Day #9 - Nothing planned. Wander around Waikiki beach and maybe explore another boat adventure.

Day #10 - Drive Tour of Oahu. Rent a car for the day and drive to the north shore, circle around the east side of the island, and see all the sights. Not interested in the big tourist attraction run by the Mormons. Turn the car in at the end of the day.

Day #11 - Pearl Harbor. Taking a bus tour for this one. You get a guided tour of Waikiki and transportation to and from the memorial. This is on my MUST DO list and it's actually reasonably priced.

Day #12 - Diamond Head. Take an Uber and then climb to the top. Another must do.

Day #13 - Fly to Phoenix. Just a night in Phoenix at the airport Hilton on our way back home.

Day #14 - Fly home.

Thoughts? Anything I'm missing that would be absolutely horrible to not see or do? Yeah, yeah... I know some people hate the big resorts, but I'm getting great value there with my loyalty points.

Last edited:
If you're big into snorkeling, you might check out Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve while on Oahu. I've snorkeled there, Cancun, and the Great Barrier Reef and loved all 3 locations. Plus, the Toilet Bowl is within walking distance of the beach at HB. It is kind of a unique place where the waves come crashing into a narrow inlet filling up the "bowl", and then it flushes back out to sea. It looks like you would want to make reservations at HB and they do close early, at 4PM local time it looks like.

https://www.honolulu.gov/parks-hbay/home.html

https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...SMjEuMjY4ODgxNzUxODE1NjI3Ig0tMTU3LjY5MzUwODk1

Reactions: The Tradition
If you're big into snorkeling, you might check out Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve while on Oahu. I've snorkeled there, Cancun, and the Great Barrier Reef and loved all 3 locations. Plus, the Toilet Bowl is within walking distance of the beach at HB. It is kind of a unique place where the waves come crashing into a narrow inlet filling up the "bowl", and then it flushes back out to sea. It looks like you would want to make reservations at HB and they do close early, at 4PM local time it looks like.

https://www.honolulu.gov/parks-hbay/home.html

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=b085d2a81de27599&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS725US725&sxsrf=ADLYWIJnZ9Wi9ajnfsFqNGhfc9QUD6OTqw:1717271911259&q=Hanauma+Bay&si=ACC90nzx_D3_zUKRnpAjmO0UBLNxnt7EyN4YYdru6U3bxLI-L4qjg617z7mjLCaNEDOQJdY5iVU32enDD1z6p8_c6LYjNeIPC1Uo4tx0C88uY_X2IINPB9p0fmx45jcdrd67AVuQi5wKz8qLDMbf0Q786GqpmdOx0K8Fh9XS7ZL4yvNsL6IA9SXQy_lieIooBFFZI_kjbQcdZkUMQUP4sPYUno7JVCKqZNQf2hPzWtdAncph-2NXqW_twOV4Y9kdKah4HsLi0KNCrGp8HkubmyfGr57e6f-c0d7NxDGOn_O1Wag5rHAxUlg=&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwiClYOymLuGAxUim4kEHX5WA-cQxA16BAhfEAU&biw=1919&bih=918&dpr=1#eim=CAEQDxoSMjEuMjY4ODgxNzUxODE1NjI3Ig0tMTU3LjY5MzUwODk1

$25 per person entry fee. Ouch.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT